Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you afford Plastic surgery???

I received a quote for $20,385.00 Here is the itemization. HOW ON EARTH CAN ONE AFFORD THIS??? DO YOU PUT IT ON A CREDIT CARD?

Breast lift, LeJour

$4500.00

Liposuction, other

$1200.00

Abdominoplasty - extended

$5600.00

Liposuction, hips

$1200.00

Thigh lift, Outer

$3200.00

Anesthesia

$ 1670.00

O.R. Fee

$ 3020.00

Overnight Stay

$ 990.00

History and Physical, Labs

$ 75.00

Garments

$ 150.00

Pain Pump

$350.00

SUBTOTAL

$21955.00

LESS 10% DISCOUNT

OFF SURGEONS FEES

$ 1570.00

TOTAL

$ 20385.00

i've elected to do a little at a time. Jan 5th, i am getting a Tummy Tuck with Lipo contouring and bracioplasty (sp?). my total for surgeons fees, anestesia, garments blah blah blah is $9600. I applied and got the care credit card, some places use MLEND. Esentially, i am financing for 5 years at 200+ a month.

it sucks but i've come to far to stop now.

I thought about doing it a little at a time. I guess I'll ask what should be done first and go from there. Thanks. How much have you lost and when were you banded?

I was banded 10/08 and have lost 90lbs. I am 15lbs from goal but my surgery is not till January. My Dr. said she should be removing around 7lbs of skin and fat.

There is the possibility that your insurance may pay for a panniculectomy -- removal of the apron of skin left on your abdomen if your weight loss was significant enough to leave that behind. If you suffer consistently from skin infections where the flap folds over and touches skin, keep complaining about it to your PCP and ask for meds to treat the infection (should be a topical medication). With a history of that, then ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon for an evaluation and submission to your insurance. If it's approved, that would be a large part of the cost of the Tummy Tuck.< /p>

There is financing available specifically for medical care. That's how I got my lap band surgery. I went through care Credit. Capital One also has medical financing. Not sure who else, but I know they are out there.

There is the possibility that your insurance may pay for a panniculectomy -- removal of the apron of skin left on your abdomen if your weight loss was significant enough to leave that behind. If you suffer consistently from skin infections where the flap folds over and touches skin, keep complaining about it to your PCP and ask for meds to treat the infection (should be a topical medication). With a history of that, then ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon for an evaluation and submission to your insurance. If it's approved, that would be a large part of the cost of the Tummy Tuck.

There is financing available specifically for medical care. That's how I got my lap band surgery. I went through care Credit. Capital One also has medical financing. Not sure who else, but I know they are out there.

Thanks for the advice. The only problem is that I have no problems....no infection, no rash...NUFFIN!!!! It's purely cosmetic. So, I guess I'll have to decide what I want first and then begin saving.

Well, I guess it depends on how much you want it.

personally, I wouldnt EVER go into debt for something like that. I have kids, we need a bigger house and we're paying private school fees. Those things are WAY more important to me than cosmetic surgery is so my saggy boobs will have to wait.

Unless I could pull the cash straight out of the bank for it, which I could, but I would feel too guilty about my kids not getting a holiday, then I would consider I cant afford it. And if you cant afford it, you cant afford it, simple. It then becomes a matter of prioritising and saving.

I know I'm a bit black and white on this, but I'm married to an accountant, forgive me, I've become a painful bore on the topic of non profitable debt! I would only consider debt for income producing assets.

Thanks for the advice. The only problem is that I have no problems....no infection, no rash...NUFFIN!!!! It's purely cosmetic. So, I guess I'll have to decide what I want first and then begin saving.

I probably shouldn't admit this.. but I will. I went to the dermatologist last week and told her that I'd been having rashes in the skin folds, but I didn't have one right then. It takes 6 months to get in to see her, so it's unlikely I would ever have a visit with her when socalled rash was present. She documented the rash and gave me 2 prescriptions for it. I'm having the prescriptions filled today.

The bad part of the story - I've never had the rash, but now I have full documentation to support me if I want to have a Tummy Tuck later. Am I going to go to hell for lying???:thumbup:

I did not know that Capital One has medical financing... I have a regular CC w/them and they like me.. LOL Maybe when I am ready for PS I can get them to approve me... HMMMMMMMMM... something to think about... thanks for that info!!

There is the possibility that your insurance may pay for a panniculectomy -- removal of the apron of skin left on your abdomen if your weight loss was significant enough to leave that behind. If you suffer consistently from skin infections where the flap folds over and touches skin, keep complaining about it to your PCP and ask for meds to treat the infection (should be a topical medication). With a history of that, then ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon for an evaluation and submission to your insurance. If it's approved, that would be a large part of the cost of the Tummy Tuck.

I like the way you think!! LOL

I probably shouldn't admit this.. but I will. I went to the dermatologist last week and told her that I'd been having rashes in the skin folds, but I didn't have one right then. It takes 6 months to get in to see her, so it's unlikely I would ever have a visit with her when socalled rash was present. She documented the rash and gave me 2 prescriptions for it. I'm having the prescriptions filled today.

The bad part of the story - I've never had the rash, but now I have full documentation to support me if I want to have a Tummy Tuck later. Am I going to go to hell for lying???:thumbup:

Jachut: I am so in agreement for not going into debt. I have actually taken classes at my church about finances. I am single, no kids, so that's not a hinerance. I am thinking that I will take out a flex-spending account with my job next year and just save----one procedure at a time.

lbndoc---you won't go to hell for lying. You only go to hell for not accepting Jesus as Savior. It's a moral issue for me--so I can't lie about it.

I guess a bake sale to raise the funds would be out of the question>:drool:

I guess a bake sale to raise the funds would be out of the question>:thumbup:

HA! That's a whole lot of cookies!!....besides, I'd proably eat more than I sold!!!

bigbaby,

check your flex spending because some items are not covered. Mine doesn't reimburse for cosmetic.

Get more quotes too. I'd had quotes from 20k-12k.

I was approved for Care Credit and also Capitol One health care account. We choose the Capitol one as they were running a very low interest rate deal last year when I applied.