Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering can bandsters eat sushi?

It would be nice to hear from you all if you can and or can not and how much would you be able to eat.

I am scheduled for my surgery on 11/17 and just wondering cause I love it!

Thanks,

Zhanna

i am pretty sure you could eat it. you could probbly find out now by ...

getting your sushi. then take a tiny bite and chew chew chew. does the food breakdown alright? by breakdown i mean can you chew it to where it is just mush no chunky particles?

if you can you will probably be able to eat it. the rice may be iffy. you could always disect your sushi and eat the parts that you can get down safely.

Just got through reading a lady's website and she got food poisining after eating sushi. She had to have her band removed due to the vomiting made her stomach twist. So she could eat the sushi; but she did get food poisining. Her website address is posted under the Frustrated topic...

Yes there is a site from a girl named Monicas. She got real sick and had to have her band taken out. She did okay for awhile but gained back I think I read over 50 pounds and I spoke with her in July and she was rebanded.

I'm not taking any chances. I'm not eatting nothing not cooked..Well you know what I mean Fish that is!

Had anyone had Pasta or rice? My doctor said no red meat or bread for 1 year. I'd love a big juicy Hamburger-I'd even skip the bun..LOL

Good Luck

hey firegirl!

sushi is probly a good food to have last meal syndrome with! its gotta be pretty healthy.

i have always been afraid to get food piosoning from it!

Originally posted by firegirl

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering can bandsters eat sushi?

It would be nice to hear from you all if you can and or can not and how much would you be able to eat.

I am scheduled for my surgery on 11/17 and just wondering cause I love it!

Thanks,

Zhanna

I eat sushi (cooked and uncooked) all the time. Before I was banded I used to be able to polish 5-6 large rolls in one sitting.

food poisining:

If you eat at a decent sushi joint you should not have these issues. I know my sushi place gets a fresh fish delivery every single day. They are also very careful handling and storing the food.< /p>

PB Worries:

If you eat SLOWLY and in small amounts and you make sure the sushi is moist or dipped in (low calorie) soy you should not have any problems. Some people are more sensitive than others and you'll just have to test the foods yourself. I did ask my Dr. and nutritionist about sushi and they said it was perfectly fine.

Weight Gain:

Before I was banded I gained a decent amount just from (over)eating sushi. Now I have 2 regular sized rolls and I'm pretty filled. People think sushi is healthy but in reality the rice is high in carbs and most sushi chefs dress the rolls in all sorts of crap (mayo, high cal dressing etc.)

Good luck and don't let one in a million stories scare you off ;-) .

Originally posted by alex

I eat sushi (cooked and uncooked) all the time. Before I was banded I used to be able to polish 5-6 large rolls in one sitting.

food poisining:

If you eat at a decent sushi joint you should not have these issues. I know my sushi place gets a fresh fish delivery every single day. They are also very careful handling and storing the food.< /strong>

PB Worries:

If you eat SLOWLY and in small amounts and you make sure the sushi is moist or dipped in (low calorie) soy you should not have any problems. Some people are more sensitive than others and you'll just have to test the foods yourself. I did ask my Dr. and nutritionist about sushi and they said it was perfectly fine.

Weight Gain:

Before I was banded I gained a decent amount just from (over)eating sushi. Now I have 2 regular sized rolls and I'm pretty filled. People think sushi is healthy but in reality the rice is high in carbs and most sushi chefs dress the rolls in all sorts of crap (mayo, high cal dressing etc.)

Alex,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You are able to eat 2 rolls which is 12pieces?

Wow that is surprising. Have you had any fills yet?

Thanks,

Zhanna

Originally posted by firegirl

food poisining:

If you eat at a decent sushi joint you should not have these issues. I know my sushi place gets a fresh fish delivery every single day. They are also very careful handling and storing the food.< /strong>

PB Worries:

Weight Gain:

Alex,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You are able to eat 2 rolls which is 12pieces?

Wow that is surprising. Have you had any fills yet?

Thanks,

Zhanna

I've gotten my band filled to 1.75cc. I'm going in for another fill today ;-)

I've gotten my band filled to 1.75cc. I'm going in for another fill today ;-)

That is a good news. Maybe I will be able to eat sushi afterwords.

Because I have few days left before my banding life begins, I go through a lot of if this, if that. I have to admit it is scary.

Are you happy you have done this surgery and would you do it again?

How was your recovery?

Sorry to ask you all these same questions I am sure everyone asks.:D

Firegirl

I just received another fill about an hour ago....another 1/2CC for me ;-)

Now I'll only be able to eat one roll of sushi at a time LOL.

Originally posted by Wendy

Hey all you sushi eaters!

Since the band, I have swtiched to Sashimi (sushi without the rice) "raw fish" and I adore miso soup! Go to Japanese places with lots of Asians inside eating and it's probably a really good place. The fish should have no odor if it is fresh. I am afraid to eat rice since I was banded almost 3 months ago so I made the switch and eliminated the carbs from rice. My entire family has been enjoying "raw fish" for years without any problems of food poisoning etc.

Bon appetite!

Wendy

Thank you Wendy!

It is nice to hear. How many pieces are you able to eat?

Have you had any fills yet? How is the banding life going for you?

Are you happy?

Zhanna

Originally posted by Wendy

Zhanna,

I like your name! I eat 2-4 pieces depending how large they are in the particular place we are eating. I usually have Miso Soup first which is a no-no but fills me up and is about 25 calories for a bowl and really healthy. I am going out tomorrow with a group from work to a great place called Sakura where you take off your shoes etc. I have lost 25-28 pounds since I was banded 8/20/03. I am going to have my first fill at exactly 12 weeks post banding. I really need restriction at this point and would probably gain if I didn't watch everything that goes in my mouth and make good healthy choices. The band is only a tool and won't do the work for you. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a rude awakening. I haven't had the dreaded PBing either as I chew, chew , chew and eat really, really, s l o w l y.... I'll keep you posted -post fill.

Wendy

Wendy,

Thank you!

Congrats on your lost! It seems almost 10 pounds a month which is great! As I understand it is very individual at first 30-40 days how much people loose.

Wendy may I ask you a question. Why are you waiting for 12 weeks? I thought the average to get a fill is around 6 weeks postup?

Sushi

I love it! Not a problem with me. Here out of Monterey Caif. the albacore tuna fishing boats prepare it as you catch it, so good.