Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did it feel after your first fill

I just had my 1st fill (3cc) and my doc was going to put 4 cc in, but thought it was too much right now. He said if I need more he will do it. I am curious on how this is supposed to feel. I can for sure tell I am not as hungry. When I drink Water, I do have to go slow cause if I go to fast it kinda hurts. I just got it yesterday so I dont know yet. I just had Soup for lunch and it seemed to go down smooth. I am burping a lot.

How did you feel after your first fill? How did you know you needed more in your or some taken out? I just want to make sure what I am feeling is normal.

What you're feeling is normal. Your stomach is probably a little swollen in reaction to the band being tightened some. If you can drink Water you don't need any taken out right away; within a few days (per your surgeon's advice) you should be able, if you chew well, small bites, no liquids with meals etc, to eat up to 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food per meal. If you can eat more, you may need another fill (but it can take a few weeks for them to kick in on many people, so you need to give it time) and if you can't eat without being stuck, you are too tight.

Yeah glad to hear all went well with your first fill!

I had my first fill Monday (3cc) and I can feel food and liquids going down now, and I feel fuller when I am finished eating. I can go 4 to 4-1/2 hrs between meals now. I didn't feel any pain at all. Are you on liquids for a day? It help me get comfortable with the tighter fit. :tongue2:

Grandma- Thanks for the response. I am on liquids yes. Im having problems finding them to stick. What have you found to really do well and stick for a long time. What is your diet like right now?

Right now I can eat anything I want. Before my fill I was still on mushies so this was a big step!! Tonight I had 2 slices of roasted turkey with a little gravy and green Beans. It tasted really good andI got full faster. At first I was afraid to swallow, I made sure I chewed until there was almost nothing left to swallow!

Hey RestlessMonkey (or anyone else) - Can you explain why the fills don't kick in for a couple weeks for some people. I have a friend that's been banded for just over 3 years and she always said it was about 3 weeks after a fill before she felt the restriction. I had my second fill 2 weeks ago, at a total of 6cc and still don't have much restriction. Everything and anything will go down. But today I finally felt it. I was starting to think the thing was broken. I know I"m not at my sweet spot yet and anxiously awaiting my 3rd fill next week. Just curious as to why you don't feel the restriction immediately after a fill.

Weigh2Fat...Why fills can take a while to kick in?

Brace yourself....I don't KNOW!!:):ohmy:

LOL at myself...anyway...what I've read some say their surgeons tell them is that it can take the mind a little while to "realize" the difference.

I don't know if that's true or even makes sense. But "delayed" restriction doesn't seem logical, does it?

I don't have that (not everyone does)...but I'm going to put it on my list to ask my doc at my next appt (8/30)...and you ask yours next time, and maybe we'll get a concensus.

OR maybe someone will know? It is a puzzlement.

OMG!! YOU DON'T KNOW? But I go to your posts for the answers to ALL my questions? You have NO idea the anxiety I have now! LOL

I'll be sure to ask my DR next week. But I agree, it just doesn't seem logical. I would almost think you may be very tight after a fill and then have it loosen up after a couple week. But not get tighter over time.

OMG!! YOU DON'T KNOW? But I go to your posts for the answers to ALL my questions? You have NO idea the anxiety I have now! LOL

I'll be sure to ask my DR next week. But I agree, it just doesn't seem logical. I would almost think you may be very tight after a fill and then have it loosen up after a couple week. But not get tighter over time.

LOL I know when I admitted that I think we had a mild earthquake here in San Antonio (area not prone to earthquakes LOL)

Be sure and post or PM me what you find out, ok? :)

As to the anxiety...if you do four by four breathing, it will abate...LOL :ohmy:

I am glad to read about this subject. I had my first fill 9 days ago, and am soooo hungry all the time. As soon as I eat my meal (chewing very slowly, of course. No liquid with the meal. Focusing on lean Protein in the meal first.) I find that I am hungry only about 15 minutes later! My stomache growls with hunger all the time. I am frustrated. My doctor placed 3.5 cc's in my 10 cc band. But what I was surprised at during my first fill was that he had me slam (and I mean SLAM ) a large cup of Water. Wouldn't the fact that it went down easily be a sure sign that he should have put more Fluid in my band at the time?? On top of that, he said he won't do my 2nd fill until 4 weeks later. What the heck?! I feel like I was ripped off by paying nearly $20k out of pocket for this surgery. I feel like I'm forced to just diet without any aid. What did I pay for then? Thanks for letting me vent. lol.

Ok...four days after first fill...today was sposed to be my second day of mushies--tomorrow "real food". I cheated on the night of my second "liquid" day and threw up---bad. On one spoonfull of really soft tuna helper (just the noodles---no tuna). Yesterday morning I tried to eat scrambled eggs and that didn't go too well. Felt "stuck" right away. So I decided I must have aggravated the band by puking the night before...so I did liquids the rest of yesterday. This morning is another repeat---except I just threw up again trying to eat the scrambled eggs. Now I KNOW I need a LITTLE unfill!!!

LOL I know when I admitted that I think we had a mild earthquake here in San Antonio (area not prone to earthquakes LOL)

Be sure and post or PM me what you find out, ok? :)

As to the anxiety...if you do four by four breathing, it will abate...LOL :ohmy:

Will one of you post a thread when you find out the answer? I am so curious also. Restless, I felt the earthquake here in Florida LOL. I was filled on 08-04 with 4.6 but I feel the restriction. It may kick in even more but I am so full feeling all the time and I love it. I found myself thinking about food all day yesterday though (LOL) even though I knew I was full and didn't want to eat so I didn't. Just a couple of tablespoons for lunch and a couple of tablespoons for dinner. It was awesome.

I had my first fill on July 13th. To me, it was the weirdest feeling ever. My Dr. put 5 CC's in my 10 CC band, but then had to remove some because I couldn't swallow the Water in my mouth. I go back on Aug. 17th and hopefully I will get another fill. I am very hungry a lot. My Dr. said that I will need another fill when:

1) I get hungry a lot. or

2) I'm not losing weight.

After my fill, I had to do 2 day of clear liquid and 2 days of mushies then back to regular on the 5th day. For clear liquid days, I make up some Oodles of Noodles Soup with the noodles and then drain the noodles and drink the flavored liquid. I could hardly drink the first day, it got much easier on the 2nd day and it got easier day by day.

with my first fill, I didn't feel much restriction at all but he only put in 2cc's and after the first couple of days I did notice that I wasn't ever really hungry and I did start sliming when I would eat starch items. I just got my second fill this week and he put in another cc so a total of 3cc's and I have alot more restriction and find it almost impossible to eat bread at all. I haven't been feeling great since this one and am never hungry but I have lost 3 lbs since monday :wink2: and everyday I feel alil better and am able to eat alil more. But everytime I eat I do have an uncomfortable feeling and have to burp ALOT!