Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone.. ive been around this website for a few months now and have learnt so so much thanks to everyone..

Lately ive had a few people confronting me about my decision to get lapband vs gastric sleeve. I don't really know alot about the sleeve, but i knew lapband was reversible and when i saw my surgeon re: lapband he was very happy with doing it based on my weight (275pounds or 125kgs), height (5'8) and bmi (42) etc, nothing more was mentioned about any other form of surgery.. So i just went along with what he thought and what id only ever presumed i thought i would get done.. i was just second guessing my opinion and probably shouldnt.

Lapband is not without its complications im aware of that but im 21 and am planning on have kids does anyone think ive made a wrong decision..?

I just don't fancy having too much messing around inside of my stomache like bypass and vertical sleeves involve..

Really confused..

I searched and thought for a long time like you about the right choices for me. I chose the band because it is completely reversable. Unlike you I am older (50 urgh) and had medical complications to consider. I didn't like the gastric bypass method because it is completely not reversible and if they have to take any diagnostic tests, since part of the stomach is cut away, it is very difficult to find anything that may be lurking in there. I chose the band because it can be reversed. Obviously, I didn't go through this just to have it reversed but it is comforting to know that I can in case the unforseen should happen. Everything from everyone I have read on these posts chose what they do for very personal reasons. I attended several seminars before making up my mind and chosing my surgeon. It was very helpful. Good Luck.

Nobody has the right to question YOUR choice. This is a very personal matter and involves your commitment to your choice! That said, here's why I chose lapband.

#1 Gastric bypass (GB) scared me too much. A very common complication is malnutrition (which is a result of the "bypass" part of the surgery). Involved permanently eliminating the functionality of a good portion of the stomach and a permanent bypass of a good-sized section of intestine. Weight loss can be very fast, which leaves little chance for stretched skin to recover and many GB patients seem to need plastic surgery later.

#2 Gastric Sleeve Gastrectomy (GSV), when I encountered it on the internet, seemed more recommended for the severely obese who were not likely to do well with GB initially. It was stated in more than one place as a "step 1" basically, with GB being "step 2" after significant weight loss had occurred. Involved permanently reducing the size of the stomach. I never read any statistics anywhere on speed of weight loss, complications, etc.

#3 Lapband (LB) was reversible should there ever be a reason. There have been people on this forum who have had to have the LB removed. It still required that I "drive the bus" -- that is, I still have to make the right decisions every day so I truly am in control. The weight loss is slower than GB, which is absolutely fine with me, and my skin is recovering pretty well for somebody who is nearly 59 years old! I might need some plastic surgery, but I also know that I may not be that different from other women my age a year after reaching goal weight.

Finally, my internist (whom I trust implicitly) felt that LB was an excellent choice for me. He was not very supportive of the idea of GB, saying that he felt that even though I wanted to lose 134 pounds that GB was "too drastic" for that amount of weight loss.

So, it sounds like GREYTZ and I had similar feelings to yours. Hope that helps.

Nobody has the right to question YOUR choice. This is a very personal matter and involves your commitment to your choice! That said, here's why I chose lapband.

#1 Gastric bypass (GB) scared me too much. A very common complication is malnutrition (which is a result of the "bypass" part of the surgery). Involved permanently eliminating the functionality of a good portion of the stomach and a permanent bypass of a good-sized section of intestine. Weight loss can be very fast, which leaves little chance for stretched skin to recover and many GB patients seem to need plastic surgery later.

#2 Gastric Sleeve Gastrectomy (GSV), when I encountered it on the internet, seemed more recommended for the severely obese who were not likely to do well with GB initially. It was stated in more than one place as a "step 1" basically, with GB being "step 2" after significant weight loss had occurred. Involved permanently reducing the size of the stomach. I never read any statistics anywhere on speed of weight loss, complications, etc.

#3 Lapband (LB) was reversible should there ever be a reason. There have been people on this forum who have had to have the LB removed. It still required that I "drive the bus" -- that is, I still have to make the right decisions every day so I truly am in control. The weight loss is slower than GB, which is absolutely fine with me, and my skin is recovering pretty well for somebody who is nearly 59 years old! I might need some plastic surgery, but I also know that I may not be that different from other women my age a year after reaching goal weight.

Finally, my internist (whom I trust implicitly) felt that LB was an excellent choice for me. He was not very supportive of the idea of GB, saying that he felt that even though I wanted to lose 134 pounds that GB was "too drastic" for that amount of weight loss.

So, it sounds like GREYTZ and I had similar feelings to yours. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Good to know someone is like me out there. Glad you chose the band also. Keep hanging in there. :redface:

Hold tight, and have faith in YOUR decision.

Personally, I wouldnt have a permanent non adjustable weight loss surgery before I'd had children if a band can get you down to a healthier weight and fertile then that's great as it can be looser during pregnancy and breastfeeding to adjust to your needs.

I think the sleeve itself is turning out to be a very safe and effective surgery without a lot of the day to day annoyances and complications that the band can have, but despite arguments to the contrary, adjustability of the band is, I have found, its real advantage and its a big one if you're considering things like pregnancy.

And many people just DONT want to cut their organs apart - despite the fact that you dont need that part of the stomach, that the band can do permanent damage to your stomach and esophagus anyway if you have complications like erosions, its still not something people want to do.

They do appear to be doing many more sleeves in WA though compared to the rest of Australia for the reason of distance and maintenance. Is your surgeon nearby and easily accessible? Because if you're flying in for fills etc, as may WA'ers have had to do from remote areas to Perth, then a band is a very difficult tool to maintain. It does require a close relationship with your doc and easy access to him/her. Whereas once a sleeve is done, barring complicatins, its DONE.

Edited by Jachut

Sammy;

First thing: Don’t let anyone make you second guess your decision. Now that you have made your decision, you need to commit to it %100 and WORK THE BAND. If the band does not work for you down the road, you can re-think your decision later. But now, all of your energy needs to be put into the direction of making the band WORK. And the chances are that if you STICK TO THE RULES, the Band will do what it needs to do for you.

Now, having said that, I do need to correct a few things that were said by other people here. I’m not trying to “sell” my particular decision here; I’m simply concerned that people who are still researching their options will eliminate certain procedures based upon incorrect information. I have had both a Lap band and a Gastric Bypass, so I can speak with some experience, and the benefit of large amounts of research that I have been doing on the realities of WLS.

Here are some items that need some correction:

#1 Gastric bypass (GB) scared me too much. A very common complication is malnutrition (which is a result of the "bypass" part of the surgery). Involved permanently eliminating the functionality of a good portion of the stomach and a permanent bypass of a good-sized section of intestine. Weight loss can be very fast, which leaves little chance for stretched skin to recover and many GB patients seem to need plastic surgery later.”

Malnutrion is almost always (virtually without exception, if the Surgeon knows what he/she is doing) a result of the patient NOT FOLLOWING THE PROTOCOL. PERIOD. The patient HAS to eat a correct diet, and the HAVE to take their Vitamins. If they don’t, they WILL have problems. If they do, they will do just fine. That’s the reality.

Weight loss CAN be very fast; but it doesn’t HAVE to be. That depends on you. If you want it to be slower to give your skin a chance to adjust, you have that choice. I was age 53 at the time of my Bypass. I required no Plastic Surgery on my face, arms, or legs. I have some loose skin around my middle that I MAY have removed. But that would be a problem with ANY WL surgery.

“I didn't like the gastric bypass method because it is completely not reversible”

Wrong. It IS reversible.

Now, it’s not something that is done very often, because it doesn’t NEED to be done that often. Most Bypass surgeries are quite successful. But, there are occasions when it is necessary or is requested. I have spoken to surgeons about this, and what I have been told is that there is a growing specialty in this operation; not growing a LOT, but growing. The reason for this is that as SOME people get older, the Malabsorbtion component of the bypass process becomes TOO much. I am told that this is very rare, but it does happen, and in those cases the bypass can be reversed. They don’t like to “advertise” the fact that it’s reversible, because they want people to see this as a lifetime procedure. But it IS reversible, and if you encounter a situation where it is necessary, it can be done. And as time goes on, with Medical technology advancing at the rate that it is, it will be an even easier process.

I cannot speak to issues involving the sleeve with any great authority, because I don’t have one (okay, I have sleeves on my shirt, but don’t think that counts here..:redface:) and I have not researched it thoroughly yet. But I DO know that for anyone who is considering WLS, it absolutely MUST be at least considered. The downside to the sleeve is that, of all the WLS procedures, it is the MOST permanent. However, one of the huge upsides (and it IS huge…) is the elimination of the Fundus, which secretes Ghrelin. Ghrelin is a hunger stimulating hormone, and for people who have a serious appetite issue, elimination of this element could be ALL they need. In fact, many of the current Weight Loss procedures under investigation are concentrating on the control/elimination/alteration of the Fundus and/or Ghrelin. So, it IS something to consider.

Last, let me repeat what I have said often: It’s not merely a choice you make in the same way you would choose a new car or a new pair of pants; You need to choose what is right for YOU. In other words, Your Doctor does NOT choose your Surgery. YOU do NOT choose your surgery. The SURGERY chooses YOU. They are ALL different, and they are meant for different types of people and bodies.

They ALL work (to varying degrees)…..but their long-term (and short-term) efficacy is dependant on some very individual elements. You really need to take the time and the effort to ascertain which WLS is right for you. It’s not a “Surgery Buffet” where you pick the one you want…..at least not if you want it to work.

So, Sammy, again, don’t be concerned at this point with the surgeries that you DIDN’T have. Work with the one that you HAVE…..give it your best, and it will very likely give you results you need and want!

HH

My surgeon is very skilled and yes, can do bypass reversals. The sleeve isn't because the stomach is removed...but bypass can largely be reversed if you have a great surgeon both times. You wouldn't GET it thinking you could just have it reversed, but in some instances it can be.

If you aren't comfortable having part of your stomach removed then the sleeve isn't for you, no matter what anyone else may say to you.

I don't know who's been confronting you but perhaps you could tell them to take a flying leap? LOL Ok maybe not...There's always someone somewhere who can tell you what you SHOULD do or what would've been better. I would just ignore them, personally.

Wow.. thankyou so much for the information everyone!!

I just thought i had better clear a few things..

I havent yet had lapband i havent had any form of surgery.. i am set to have lapband in january due to insurance ive chosen to wait till then..

i know lapband is the lease brutal of all WLS options but as this person said to me, "wrap an elastic band around your finger and see how it will be after 3 years", well most would know it would die and drop off.. does this mean that the stomache is going to be in such a bad shape and i know that it does ruin the stomach shape i know a few people have had it removed and afterwards they have ended with a stomache that pretty much is that of a Gastric Bypass..

I need to lose 121pounds (about 55kgs) but i don't want to kill my insides but seems that no matter what i choose my stomache is going to end up mutilated.. what happens after youve had the lapband for years?

Re: About the location of my surgeon.. he is here in the same city as me luckily.. so no plane flights or long driving.. only about 10minutes away..!!

I just havent really heard of alot of people having had it for a long long period of time... my mother in law has had it done 2 years and she loves it and had no problems... my moms friend has had it about 6-7years and she had alot of problems at first PB'ing all the time but now as far as i know she is fine.. but ten yaers down the track can the band stay on still? Would it not of eaten so far into your stomache that obviously is no longer reversible..

I don't really want something that is reversible incase i change my mind, i wanted it reversible incase i had complications and my body rejected it or my body didn't cope with it.. not as some people presume because i dont want my "weightloss to be permanent" thats just ridiculous because of course i dont want it coming back..

Also the lady that pulled me up about the band had, had the band and had to have it removed because she was throwing up her tea during her sleep and she wasn't eating past 6pm and apparently that is very common... so after awhile she had had it removed and got a vertical sleeve.. she said they dont reroute your intestines or anything and they use the healthy part of your stomach for the procedure.. ahh i don't really know..

Restless Monkey is right....tell them them to take a flying leap!

I did misunderstand; I didn't realize you hadn't had the surgery yet. You have probably made the right choice. One thing about the Band. If it does NOT workr for you, you CAN move to another surgery down the road, under the right circumstances. That's really hard to do with some of the others.

Just make sure you have a REALLY good surgeon. And stick to the protocol prescribed by your doctor TO THE LETTER. And don't worry about what people say. Really. Just go forward and watch what they say when you have lost all of your weight. It'll be sweet.....:redface:

HH

Aww thanks Head Hunter.. i love your signature about the band too.. "my experience wasn't good but i want yours to be fantastic" << that is beautiful..

Your right though, if the band doesn't work for me then i have other options.. if i do the others then ive already lost an option.. i dont want to go through them all i want to be happy with one..

But im already thinking negatively lapband may work for me and i may have no complications as others have, my surgeon said complication rate is less than 5%. I guess i should take it day by day.. im just worried about the long term effects of the band now..

I would say....be CONCERNED,...but don't WORRY.

I had a very, very bad experience with the Band. But, I recognize that it really helps many, many people. You see them every day on this forum. I really WANT to see people successful with this or any other WLS.

I've lived through the "WLS experience" now for about 8 years, and there have been many, many twists and turns. I seen a lot of successes, and a lot of failures. But I really have to emphasize that YOU have the most control over what is going to happen. YOU pick the surgeon. YOU pick the hospital. YOU pick the Procedure. And, YOU choose how closely you are going to follow the presribed protocol. SO MUCh of it is in your hands.

There is a small percentage of people for whom the Band does not work, or causes problems. But, you have to consider the problems you may have down the road if you DON'T have SOME kind of WLS. I've said for a long time that the very BEST WLS is NO WLS. If you can do it without surgery, that is ALWAYS the best and safest way. But, there is a community of people out there for whom that is NOT a reality. Personally, I don't believe that the community is as large as people might think it is. I honestly think that many people do NOT try hard enough. And WLS is being sold/marketed as a "simple, easy" solution to the problem, which makes people try even less.

But, if all the pieces fit, you've done your homework, and made the right choices, then I HONESTLY feel that there is no reason to hesitate, and move forward with your WLS.

It's going to be life-changing for you, in many ways. So, yes, go forward with it, knowing that a new-you is just around the corner. And this is coming from someone who has had some HUGE problems with it. I made some wrong choices.....I sense that YOU are making the RIGHT one!:tongue2:

HH

Aww head hunter, do you mind if i ask about your experience with lapband??

I know that alot of people don't put in the hard yards before considering WLS and that people think its a quick fix, by far i know that its not.

I will give an explanation of my history...

When i was born i was a very very small premature child, when i turned 4 i went from being small to being a llarge child, and then everyyear i gained weight, without it ever ceasing, i know for a fact it wasn't due to what i ate because i was eating fruit and vegies etc and mom wouldnt really ever let me have chips in my lunch box etc.. it was fruit, the occasional naughty treat like cake or some shapes and what not, but that was occasional.. When i was 9 i started seeing a dietician after being scrutinized for my weight, and continued seeing my dietician without any luck in keeping the weight off, When i was 14 id been getting so big every year it was becoming a problem, at this age i learned i had Polycystic Ovarian Disease, which explained my depression, my extra hair growth, my major mood swings and eratic horrible crippling periods (and i mean that heavy and that painful i was nearly hospitalised when i got them) and alot of other things. To this day ive tried mnearly every diet and exercise program i swear is known to man. Tony Ferguson, KicStart, Optifast, Weight Watchers, Atkins etc etc etc.. and yeah for some i would lose weight for a little while but then i would gain it again still whilst on the program. The most effective was the shakes where i lost 14kgs.. but then started gaining again. I cannot do normal diets like others like the weight watchers and jenny craig etc because the amount of intake especially sugar (i.e certain fruit and veg and portions etc) are too high for my Insulin Resistance and i end up gaining weight.. the shakes were my last resort before considering the ever looming WLS that ive feared my whole life..

My dietician told me 5 weeks ago, that she is SO against WLS its not funny, but there is 5 people that she would say tomorrow that you need WLS and she said i was one of them.. She was not the first to tell me this.. My specialist for sleep Apnoea and my Spinal Surgeon have also told me that its my last resort to consider..

I know that i over eat, because i am never satisfied or should i say i never get that "full" feeling. My mind isnt strong enough to stay on shakes for the rest of my life nearly vomiting them up everyday, so this seems to be the option for me.

After having spoken to my Mother in Law, Mom's Best Friend and alot of people on here it seems that i wasn't wrong in thinking that lapband was the option for me, i just hope that given my history its the right decision.

I know its just a tool to help me and that i am going to have to help myself and that is going to be a Large struggle for me, with such things as learning to eat slowly and chew to a million peices (because it always tastes horrible once u massacre it) and learn to drink slow as i guzzle.. these are just a few things i need to learn.. But i also know that its all a learning track and because my will power to stick to certain diets hasnt been strong enough because i wasn't getting the results and depressive eating, i know the band wont allow me to over eat like i do and if i do i will suffer the consequences. Im scared to have it done because it will change my life negatively and positively as i know it. Im worried i wont ever be able to eat certain foods again and that scares me, im worried it will depress me more for that reason.. but i also know i need to know what its like to not be the young child with all the medical problems, the obesity, the picked on child who loved sports and was good at alot of them but wasnt given the chance alot of the time..

i know the band is a tool to help my body not eat so much therefore counteracting half the problem of my over eating and that will give me time to work on trying to make myself eat the right foods with that smaller portion i can eat..

the more i think about it the more i do what i always do and second guess myself thinking this band will have such negative effects on my body..

i guess i now need to know what willl happen with it down the track aswell..