Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wheres the energy gone?

Well as of tomorrow I will have been banded for 3 weeks. But I am having a problem with my energy level. I go to bed around midnight and have problems now with waking up even at 8 am. I never really had problems getting up early before. then around noon I feel like im going to fall over asleep at work. then I get home (My 3 kids go to work with me too) and deal with the kids and still feel like i need a nap. I hardly have any strength to get anything done. does any one else have this problem? Is it because my body is still adjusting to everything? Is there something that I can do to get more strength up? please any suggestions would be greatly appriciated...Hopefully I will be awake to read them...j/k...lol:tongue2:

I was banded on May 28th and I am struggling with that same problem.

I have been eating potatoes to try and boost my potassium level and also drink plenty of fluids and eat my Protein and supplements, but still fatigued.

It is after climbing a flight of stairs or going to the supermarket to pick up a few items.

I know I am not a spring chicken, but 3 weeks ago I could run around like crazy without feeling wiped!

OMG, I am feeling the same exact way, and it's been almost a month and a half for me. Today has been really awful. I've been yawning in meetings, my eyes drooping. I gave up sugar and caffeine, also, so I have nothing to turn to for a quick pick-me-up during the day. Sometimes I go out for a quick walk, but lately it's been raining every day.

I'm going to my LB support group tonight, and I will ask my surgeon about this.

**yawn**:thumbup:

In know I have given up caffine which I love coffee especially starbucks...so that quick pick me up is not there. I am just hoping that it gets better really soon! All of my kids birthdays are in june so I need extra energy this month and it is not happening. It is hard trying to chase after them and my patience is also low and I hate the feeling of being snippy with my kids (my oldest just turned 7 on june 6, my baby boy will be 1 on june 20th, and my middle girl will be 3 on june 28th). ann but please do ask about this at your group tonight. Thank you fellow banditos!

Just give it some time I was the same way. Eventually the energy will come back and you will be bouncing off the walls. When you drastically reduce calories your metabolism slows to a crawl. Your body will eventually get use to it and the metabolism will go back up thus giving you energy.

Just like a high-schooler, I have written a reminder on my hand so I don't forget to ask tonight! Ya know, I'm so exhausted, my brain just doesn't seem to function right lately, either. Feels like I felt when I was preggo -- tired and preggo brain! And, NO, I'm not pregnant.:thumbup:

I'll be sure to fill you in with the doc's answer tomorrow. :)

OMG, I thought I was the only one. I have had a UTI, port incision infection and have been absolutely blah since surgery May 15. I am so mad at myself because I want to do things. I get up and start something like laundry and have to sit down after about 5 mins and rest. Same with cooking or any task requiring standing for long. It seems some better now. I also had to cut way down on my b/p meds because it was causing me to be dizzy and tired. Hope our bodies adjust soon. I am really looking forward to an energy surge from the weigh loss. I see my surgeon every week , but haven't mention the lack of energy. It kinda goes along with the infection and b/p meds both of which are hopefully under control. Good luck to all of us.

Ok, so the scoop from my surgeon is: everyone who undergoes surgery will feel less energetic for several weeks after the surgery. He said it typically takes up to 6 weeks to regain your normal energy level, but it all depends a lot on your health, so if you have a lot of comorbidities, like I do, it may take longer.

However, he said that it was key to make sure you were getting at least 60 g. of Protein a day and that increasing your exercise will help increase your energy.

I hope that helps! :sad:

Hi Spidey!

So it IS normal..a few more weeks to go to kick this lethargy.

You are fortunate to have a dr at your support meetings.

Somehow I knew upping the Protein was going to be strongly recommended.

Thanks for reporting back with the tip, Spidey!

Had salt last pm in some canned broth and woke up 2 lbs heavier! Water weight. Cursed salt.

As for the caffeine in the above post..the pre-op diet broke and liberated me from my very strong caffeine habit which made me so so hungry all the time..it was a viscious circle. coffee,eat,coffee, eat. I wouldn't go back to caffeine addiction for anything. I couldn't control it and my gut acted up big time..like IBS, but it was the caffeine all along because I don;t have the symptoms any more.

I had fantastic energey until I started drinking coffe again in the morning, yesterday especially I was like a walking zombie!!!!! even the venti quad shot skim cappucinno I had did not do a thing for me! For those of us on the East coast, I don't think the weather is helping much either.. but they're saying next week is supposed to be beautiful all week.. RAIN RAIN GO AWAY SO THE EAST COAST BANDERS CAN GO WALKING AGAIN!!!!

I'm so glad to have this group to help with things like this!

I've found I have the same problem, My house is suffering big time from my lack of energy! It's driving me crazy. I'm using all of my extra energy to go walking but then I'm completely wiped out so I get nothing else done. I was just telling my husband last night "I thought exercise was supposed to give you MORE energy?!"

So thank you for the advice from your surgeon Spidey - I'm going to have to work on the Protein part, I'm not quite getting 60 grams per day (they don't allow me to use Protein supplements or shakes so It's hard.) And for some reason I've developed a serious aversion to pills so I'm unable to take my Multivitamin right now - I need to work on that too! Honestly though, I almost had a PB from just taking two tiny ibuphrophen yesterday. (This aversion is due to me having to take potassium pills after surgery - I was very dehydrated - anyway they were huge and made me PB every time.)

Thanks again!

Edited by Jennifer75

Oh, Jennifer, thanks for reminding me! He did say to make sure you're getting your Vitamins, also. We all started discussing the different types of chewables on the market, and someone said that Centrum makes orange chewables that are supposed to be better than the Flintstone chewables. I also saw that there are liquid vitamins available and even powdered vitamins that you can mix in your drink. HTH! :sad: