Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't lost weight!

I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced this. I got a fill 2 weeks ago & have eaten very, very little. I am chewing everything very slow, making good choices, drinking Water & doing it right!!! I thought FOR SURE that when I stepped on the scale I'd have lost some weight. I actually gained 1 lb!! I WAS MAD!! I called my brother-in-law who was a doctor & he told me that because I was eating so little, my body was probably going into starvation mode. When it does that, your body wants to hold on to all it's resources & won't let it go. He said I'd probably see a weight loss next week. Ugh....

Anyone else have this happen?!?!

you could be loosing inches tooo. you might try increasing your Protein and cutting back on the carbs for a week and see if you drop.

Dont be mad you will drop!!!!

Oh yeah! I have seen alot of posts about this very issue. I too have gone through it and even though it's dissappointing, I realized that it was a good thing. I mean think about it, eventually we will reach a point where we will just want to maintain. We see what many others eat without gaining, compare what you're doing to diet to that, isn't it a huge difference. It really shouldn't be that way. We are suppose to be changing out lifestyles and by not eating enough it looks like we would be living the anorexia lifestyle, not a normal one. You should have between 1200 to 1500 kcals per day if you are moderately active, if you working out alot, then you need to up the kcals to put nutrients back in that you have worked off. Not fat, nutrients, there's a difference. Also are following a high Protein diet? If not you may want to think about it, it really does help. I personally enjoy Protein and veggies daily and occasionally some whole grain products, but not very often. There are alot of things on the market right now that make it easier to eat a high protein diet.

Just my opinion. But whatever you do, do not give up. You will be rewarded and it will all be worth it.

Cindy

Guest ameliaizquierdo

I can have 3 cups per meal each time.

How many can you?

Regards,

ame

I can eat only about a cup per meal! I chew, chew, chew & get full so fast. There are moments when I can eat more; for instance - I can have a full salad sometimes. Other times I can't! This is my first fill. Is this normal?

Ugh - I think I need an unfill. I had my first fill last week and I can eat maybe 1/3 of a cup at a time. I keep hoping it'll get better because I don't want an unfill!

I agree with Chichigirl - you're definitely in starvation mode. When I was on liquids I couldn't get in more than 600 cals per day and I didn't lose for a week. Good luck - it'll come off!

Even though weight loss is a "simple" equation-expend more calories than you intake - it sure isn't an exact science! I tell ya - there must be a million other factors!!!

I went in for my first fill today (I was sweating on the table and the doctor had to work the needle a little to find the right spot. Fortunately, I had novicane, but still, I was so nervous!). I thought FOR SURE I had lost 5 or 6 lbs. over the past 3 weeks of calorie counting, workouts burning 500-680 calories, etc. TWO POUNDS. That was all I'd lost, 2 lbs! I remembered what I'd read on the site . . . "The first weeks are just healing, don't worry, you don't have any restriction anyway . . . " Still, it was a bit disappointing. But I can still be pleased with overall loss so far & with the NSVs!

I appreciate your post today because I need to avoid having unrealistic expectations, or maybe any expectations about the number of pounds I "should" be losing. I need eat right everyday, and trust the results will follow, at their own pace and own timing!

Patience is the hard part because I'm so anxious for the FAT TO MELT AWAY LIKE WAX OFF A CANDLE!

Dianechef, how much weight have you lost since surgery?

What is it that you are eating exactly, are you eating the good foods or the junk foods? Regardlessof calories it does make a idfference for me anyways, I can eat 1200 calories of junk and not lose but if Ieat 1200 calories of good foods I will lose, its about eating good food all the time though or I just revert back to the same 2-3 lbs going back and forth.

It looks like she's lost about 23 pounds in 2 months. So that averages out to 2.6 pounds a week, more than 11 pounds a month. Higher than the average amount of weight loss!

Hope this puts some perspective on things DianeChef.

Vinesqueen! You are the best!!! I knew I'd lost a good amount of weight since surgery, but I had no idea it was higher then the average. I feel so much better!! I think I just need to continue what I'm doing & throw the damn scale away!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it all evens out down the road.

I love this place. You all are so encouraging & helpful!!!!

thanks Diane. Sometimes when we are right in the middle of things it is hard to see. The forest for the trees sort of thing. It can be almost impossible to chart our way if we cannot see the way out of the forest if we are focused on the trees. That said, it is hard to see the general lay of the land if we only look at the trees. Sure, we are intimaely familier with the trees, the texture of the bark, the shape of the leaf or needle, the smell of the loam.

We miss the underbrush when we focus on the trees. The delicate ferns, the sweet huckleberry, the various mosses. We miss the rock formations, the root patterns, the mushrooms, the streams. We miss the bird songs and the way the light filters through the tops of the trees. We are only focused on the trees. We miss the smells, the cool touch of breeze on our skin, the delicate chill of glacier fed winds when we only focus on the trees.

I think plateaus give us a chance to see all these other things. I am trying to view my slow progress this way. It is giving me a chance to savor the small changes that I might otherwise miss in my pell-mell rush to a thinner me.

I can eat only about a cup per meal! I chew, chew, chew & get full so fast. There are moments when I can eat more; for instance - I can have a full salad sometimes. Other times I can't! This is my first fill. Is this normal?

]

I am expericing the exact same thing, my first fill was on 10/1/09 and I am not really feeling anything except pain at my breastbone and I ws told that's how I will fill full; I feel taht I am able to eat too much, I had a whole salad this past Saturday, freaking out now and going to call my Dr. this week for more fill, mine was 2.75cc's to begin with;

Even though weight loss is a "simple" equation-expend more calories than you intake - it sure isn't an exact science! I tell ya - there must be a million other factors!!!

I went in for my first fill today (I was sweating on the table and the doctor had to work the needle a little to find the right spot. Fortunately, I had novicane, but still, I was so nervous!). I thought FOR SURE I had lost 5 or 6 lbs. over the past 3 weeks of calorie counting, workouts burning 500-680 calories, etc. TWO POUNDS. That was all I'd lost, 2 lbs! I remembered what I'd read on the site . . . "The first weeks are just healing, don't worry, you don't have any restriction anyway . . . " Still, it was a bit disappointing. But I can still be pleased with overall loss so far & with the NSVs!

I appreciate your post today because I need to avoid having unrealistic expectations, or maybe any expectations about the number of pounds I "should" be losing. I need eat right everyday, and trust the results will follow, at their own pace and own timing!

Patience is the hard part because I'm so anxious for the FAT TO MELT AWAY LIKE WAX OFF A CANDLE!

Your're doing fine, I have reached a plateau after six weeks. I have not lost any in 3 weeks, lost 27 pounds since my surgery on 8/17/09 though. I am happy for that, they say the plateaus pass, I cant wait to get to where you are