Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long before you were in bandster hell?

Hey everyone. I was just wondering how long after surgery people stopped feeling restriction and went into bandster hell? I'm 3 weeks out and I'm wondering not because I'm there already, but because I'm not. If anything, I'm actually afraid I'm too tight. Is it too soon for me to tell that, or should most of my swelling have gone down by now?

I've been on mushies for a week now. I had my first post-op appt last week 1 day after starting mushies and I told my doc that when I ate I got that pressure in my chest that feels like indigestion without the burning. He said I was probably just eating too fast and I should slow down. Well, I've been eating plenty slow now. The info packet I got from my surgeon's nutritionist said eat 2 oz protien and 1 oz carb at a rate of 5 minutes per oz. Well, it takes me at LEAST 15 minutes to eat that much and I still get the feeling. Yesterday I even felt uncomfortable with a yogurt and a medifast. Although the weird thing is that the more solid stuff actually seems to go down more smoothly. I had turkey meatballs and felt fine, but apple sauce is almost always nucomfortable. I haven't PBed yet, nor have I had anything stuck, except maybe a piece of canned peach and that only lasted for about 5-10 seconds.

My surgeon does prep the band with a small amt of Fluid at surgery, although I'm not sure how much. Has anyone else still felt this way 3 weeks post op or were most of you already in bandster hell? Is it possible to tell this soon that I'm too tight or will I still continue to loosen up some. I have already talked to my doc like I said and he wasn't concerned but that was a week ago. If it keeps up I'll definitely call him, but I was just curious how other people felt this far out.

I was there at like day 8 -- and really, as I've gotten fills, it has slowly improved. Got my 4th fill yesterday and if this isn't my sweet spot, it's VERY CLOSE. Just have to wait and see if the restriction lasts longer than a week. bear in mind, though, that the only Fluid in my band after surgery was .6cc which was left in when the doctor drained the band after testing it before he put it in place. That's pretty much the same as nothing. I now have 5.6ccs and this is the first time after a fill that I saw the need for liquids the rest of the day. Heck, I think I pretty much want liquids today! I've been kinda stuck at 55 pounds gone but I'm expecting to break that when I get on the scale next.

How much "prep" is a small amount? Do you know how much is in your band? I've read people's comments here that they have 5ccs post-op and some even had to get an unfill when they were on the liquid post-op diet.

How much "prep" is a small amount? Do you know how much is in your band? I've read people's comments here that they have 5ccs post-op and some even had to get an unfill when they were on the liquid post-op diet.

I'm not sure of the exact amt. but the nurse said that he basically just takes the air out and puts a little Fluid in to test it with. Doesn't sound like he uses too much. I meant to ask at my first post-op appt but forgot. I have my 1st support group meeting tonight so maybe someone there will know.

Yesterday felt like the tightest day yet. I didn't even eat 600cals. and yeah, I was a little hungry at times, but I didn't want to eat because it was too uncomfortable. I think I'll see how the other people in my post-op group are doing since they've all had the same Dr. as me and therefore similar fill amts ect. If this is normal for people banded by my doc I'll give it some more time, if not I'll call the office tomorrow and find out.

At 3 weeks I was still on liquids. Perhaps it IS a matter of there still being some swelling for you, and your stomach isn't ready for anything more than liquids. At this point, I'd venture to say that if you can get and keep liquids down, to keep on doing that. That way, the area around your band can finish its healing without having to work so hard digesting mushies or solids. Above all, keep in contact with your doctor.

Lauren, a lot of us have a period during the day where we feel much tighter than the rest of the day. Morning is the most common time to feel that way. I am tight in the mornings so I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast. If you'll drink something warm like tea or coffee, that can make it a little looser so that you can eat soft foods. If you can eat more in the daytime, when it comes time for dinner, you won't be starved out of your mind.

Lauren, a lot of us have a period during the day where we feel much tighter than the rest of the day. Morning is the most common time to feel that way. I am tight in the mornings so I have a Protein shake for breakfast. If you'll drink something warm like tea or coffee, that can make it a little looser so that you can eat soft foods. If you can eat more in the daytime, when it comes time for dinner, you won't be starved out of your mind.

It's not specific to the morning or any other time of day. I actually had my first support group meeting today and the PA was there and she did suggest that I make an appointment as it sounds like I am too restricted and not getting enough nutrition. Thanks for the advice anyway.