Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Approval - eeeeeek

And I was so worried I wouldnt be fat enough. I'm deluded.

That was the hardest thing I have EVER done, I was shaking with nerves. Nothin like being honest about what you really eat for the first time in your entire life. Even my poor mum is a wreck because she had NO idea I had all these issues going on. Obviously she can see I'm fat but she had no idea what the emotional side of it has been like for me.

Anyhow he thought I was a perfect candidate - an all round overeater but not a binger, not a chocaholic, I know how to shop for and cook healthy food because I have a family to take care of, I'd done loads of research, I'd obviously sorted some issues in my head and I"m blessed to still be in excellent health and am therefore no anaesthetic risk.

He agreed totally with me that better to nip this in the bud now rather than wait till I do develop problems and he offered the opinion that by taking action now, at my age and my relatively moderate obesity I'm unlikely to have skin problems and require major cosmetic work (I disagree, I'm saving for the boobs already).

So.................. information session, back to see him on 13th of October with my final decision, on to all the testing and surgery likely some time late November, early December or possibly in the New Year.

Phew. I feel like I can breathe again (and stop eating, I had to make sure I kept that BMI over 35). He wants me to lose moderately if I can, make healthy changes and start thinking about and establishing all those new habits right away.

Excellent news :) Which surgeon are you using?

Jot down any lingering questions you may have along the way to take to the Information Night. They're really helpful.

Congrats Jachut!

Mr Crosthwaite - I liked him and like you said the age/experience factor is reassuring. Plus the fact that he does work with Paul O'Brien will satisfy my nutty MIL who has an obsession with every doctor you see being the "best" in his field. She had kittens because I took Fraser to Dandenong hospital with asthma - its 10km or so away versus the Children's at 45km away!

YaYYY .. you'll love him. He even called my hubby when I got out of surgery to let him know how things went, without us asking him to. He's professional and thoughtful.

yeah that was good of him to let your husband know

you dont get many of them now

good on you jachut...hope things go well for you

Congratulations Jachut!!! I know how nerve wracking the wait can be. Even though I have my approval in hard copy, I still expect the phone to ring and someone to say...huh sorry there has been a mistake...that is my nightmare and will be everyday until my band is in my body! ;-)

Jachut,

Congrats to you. I've been reading your posts since I first joined this board a couple of months ago. I specifically remember your posts because it seemed your earlier attitudes, toward the LapBand procedure was very much like mine. I too was skeptical of my metabolism slowing to a crawl, due to the wrongly perceived 1000 calorie/day diet that I have heard many discuss. Everything that I have ever learned, both in college and from other reliable sources, stressed the need for adequate amounts of quality food to feed our lean muscle mass. I subscribe to the belief that more lean muscle mass promotes a faster metabolism, thus the body can burn fat more efficiently. This can only take place with some form of resistance training (cardio helps too w/ fat burning) and the proper amount of good quality fuel (food).

Well......I consumed LOTS and LOTS of fuel! If I didn't exercise, I would have been much bigger! BUt I want to be able to consume about 1800-2000 calories/day. I know the band is helping stay within this range. I honestly feel that I have made the right decision and I hope that you will feel the same way. This is a big step.....but a big step towards better health. The very best of luck to you! I usually don't rant like this, but I do remember your specific concerns as they were very much like mine.

Ray

8/9/05

280/260/05

Fort Worth, TX

Jachut,

That is big news. Congrats to you on taking this big step. I felt the same way about finally talking about what was REALLY going on with my eating too. I remember telling my BF and it was crushing to me and embarrassing. So glad he was understanding. I am glad your doctor is so supportive. Good luck on each step of your journey.

I think that even had I decided not to go ahead with this, this is the first time ever I've been honest with myself about my weight problem. That's the hardest thing about this process.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! The positive changes start right now!