Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Stop Thinking About Food?!

Hi all,

Today for lunch, I had a salad, with grated carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, and some chicken. It filled me up, comfortably, but about three hours later, I was hungry again, so I ate some light mixed fruit, which was fine. For dinner, I had beef stroganoff over brown rice, and didn't finish it all because I was full.

After dinner, even though I was full, I felt depressed, because I know I can't eat the way I used to. I know this stems from childhood, when I didn't always have food to eat, and I know that I do now, and will, hopefully, not have to worry about that happening again.

I also know that I can do other things to distract myself, and I have--exercise, play the piano, even coming to this web site.

The weight is coming off; people are still commenting on how great I look, and I feel that I'm doing all the right things. I'm just wondering how long this will go on. Will it get better when I have more restriction?

Help!!!

Debbiet

I worry about this too! I have not had my surgery yet but I keep thinking, will I miss food? I know I will miss it, food is like my best friend! I don't eat because I am depressed or anything I Just LOVE food, I love the taste and lots and lots of it! I think after time we will be use to food as fuel and not something that tastes good, does that make any sense lol? I know a few people that have had the band and they say they do not miss food and love the way they feel

the surgeons fix your body, but unfortunatly they cant fix your brain to stop thinking about foods, I dont miss large helpings because i dont allow myself to be deprived of any foods..

your not dieting, its up to you to chose sensible foods but that doesnt mean your not allowed to have the foods you crave for,

I dont believe any food is bad, what is bad is the portion size of it & once banded you should only be able to eat small amounts,

Head hunger is what we have to control, ask yourself are you drinking enough fluids, exercising, etc etc...

Remember the band isnt to make your life hell.. its to give you a life & have the foods we enjoy but in much smaller quantities

Take your time eating the foods, you should stay fuller for longer, use a side plate for meals, i often leave food on my plate & it still amazes me how little ive eaten but how comfortable my tummy is & that still makes me smile :rolleyes2:

I wish there was a quick fix for this. I am also one that always thinks about food. I have come to realize that i truly am a food addict to the point where i have obsessive thoughts about food. Thank god i have my band wich physically keeps me from being able to gorge myself with all the food related things i think about. Now if they would just come out with a band for the brain to squeeze out all the thoughts of food id be in heaven!

The most significant thing in your post says "2 cc in a 10cc band". You have virtually no restriction yet. I was told to eat according to the meal plan but when I got hungry to eat an egg white or 1 oz of low fat cheese -- both are Protein, and protein takes longer to digest than anything else you can eat and therefore makes you feel more full for a longer time. Once you've had a couple of more fills and are at least close to your sweet spot, your between meal hunger will dissipate.

Lifestyle change is soooooo hard. I know food is my stress releaser. Don't drink- no drugs just food. I think it is the worst. I have done great, banded Jan. 9th lost 64 pounds, but at times it is soooo hard. Prayer really helps. With God all things are possible. I was actually going to post for suggestions on that time per month that is the worst. Food addiction is so hard. UGH!! Good luck!

Your message helped me. I am a 10, and just hade 3cc a week ago. food just slides down, and I'm done eating in no time. When was your surgery?? Your doing great!

My surgery was 2/24/2009, and this was my first fill, and like the other, I noticed NO difference. Good luck

I was banded on 03/27 and I am really struggling with the eating to live not living for eating. I am constantly fighting with my want to eat even though I know I am not hungry or I know I will feel uncomfortable. I am hoping with my first fill on 05/06 that the intensity for food will go down but I am really nervous. Plus I have only lost like 9 lbs. I was hoping for at least 15 so far. I know slow and steady wins the race but I am afraid my thoughts of food are going to overtake me. Any suggestions?

Thanks, everybody.

Well, I saw my doctor yesterday, and I don't know if it's psychological or not, but I've lost eight pounds, and it made me feel better. That's not to say that I won't (or should I say don't) still think about eating. I think the thing that keeps me from eating until I'm really uncomfortable is that I don't want to pb.

I chew my food well, I drink Water, I exercise, and I do feel full, or satisfied, and these are the things I'm trying to always pay attention to.

To the poster who asked when I--or were you asking someone else--?had surgery. Mine was February 10, and I think yours was that same month.

Debbie

I am about 15 months post surgery, and just about at my goal weight (and have been for several months). I have physically hit my sweet spot, buy psychologically, I still have major food issues. Luckily, I have a great therapist who is helping me work through them, but just because your doctor gives you the tools to feel 'full', it doesn't mean the desire to eat will go away.

I am sure 99% of us got overweight by eating for emotional reasons. Those reasons don't just disappear because of surgery. When I have had a stressful day, all I want to do is sit down to a huge plate of Pasta. Of course, as I delve further into my reasons for overeating in therapy, I am finding better ways to deal with the obsessional food thinking that can still haunt me.

The urges and cravings will eventually go away, but you need to figure out how you got overweight in the first place, and what role has food played in your life. It can still be very pleasurable, but when I am craving a bowl of pasta...2 or 3 bites can satisfy me now...and I really enjoy those 2 or 3 bites!

This seems to be the hardest part. I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one. When I woke up this morning the first thing I thought was, "What am I gonna eat today?". I feel like I have to constantly think about doing the right thing so I don't go crazy eating everything in site. I'm really considering a therapist....

Try planning ahead a little. On Sunday, I decide what I'm going to take for lunch during the week and get it all sorted out, packaged up and ready to take. When I do my grocery shopping, I plan ahead with whole meals ..... I decide on the Proteins, the vegetables, the starches (I don't live alone and nobody else needs to give up a darned thing) and then I make my list based on those choices and then I double check my pantry and freezer and may cross a few things off because I have them on hand already. This way, I don't have to think about it every meal individually.

I have to say that of all the responses, Citygirl couldn't have been more on target for me. I'm 16 months post-op and I noticed that just around 75 pounds down or so (I'm about 105 down now) I stopped feeling the pull of the food. However, it coincided with me moving out from my non-functional relationship AND starting to see a psychologist. I have a degree in counseling, so I know all about replacement behaviors. I worried I'd become an alcoholic or a shopaholic as I've seen on Oprah....so I started going to the gym at night, when the urges were greatest. It was also when I was loneliest and most tired.....

Having an outlet for my feelings was--without a doubt--the greatest thing I have done for myself. I have very little restriction and I've intentionally kept it that way. I have few foods that I can't tolerate, and that's really what I wanted with my band. But, because of that choice, I have to use more control over not eating when I'm not hungry.

As you get more restriction, it gets PHYSICALLY easier, but let's face it....you wouldn't have been a candidate if this was strictly physical. Keep up the great work. The desire to pick and eat "wrong" foods never goes away...but your control over those things does get stronger as you hit your stride. Don't give up!! :(

Luvs2Teech and CityGirl, I agree that therapy is essential, for me. I was already in therapy before I began the process of getting the band, and I know lots of reasons why I got to be this big. My doctor's office has a therapist who facilitates a support group on eating normally which uses cognative behavior techniques. But it helps to know that the cravings may never go away; it just means I have to accept that and be vigilant.

I love this site because people are so willing to share openly and honestly. Thank you everyone.

Debbie

I tell myself I can have a "teaspoon" of anything.

(Of course not all at once).

I teaspoon of Hershey's Syrup has less than 20 calories. It's delicious with my sugar free iced coffee. You just have to find subsitutions for the things you miss and crave and try to work it into your calorie limit for the day.

No, I NEVER stop thinking about food, but that teaspoon of Peanut Butter or teaspoon of 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee goes a long way to keep me happy once in a while 2 years out.

:thumbup: