Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill scheduled - what do I expect?

Hi all - I had my surgery on March 31 and have no fill in my band. When I switched to solid food things were going well. I can eat everything with no problems (no PB, no sliming, no vomiting) I do eat a lot less and try to stay on the healthy side. In the last few days however, I am eating a LOT more and craving the foods I used to eat. I have my first fill scheduled for 4/29 and don't quite know what to expect afterwards. I understand the process, as I had an unfill the day after surgery (3 cc to none.) But what will happen after? Will I have to fight the horrible gas bubbles and pain I had at 3 cc post-op? Will it keep my appetite more in control? I haven't lost anything this week, but have lost 34 pounds since surgery so I can't complain...but I'm just so frustrated to feel like I may be failing my band.

expect sheer terror, mahem, panic and fear that will rip your eye balls from your sockets...haha....only kidding. i was banded back in December and just had my third fill and its not bad at all. my doctor can numb the area but i chose not to since it doesnt hurt bad at all. yes its a little uncomfortable and mine makes me go in full liquids for three days which is tough but i like it because it kickstarts my weightloss again. Last Friday i got a fill and i am down another 7lbs since then. You will do fine...good luck!

Hi Cristy,

I expected some pain with the first fill - the needle is a bit intimidating. BUT - it really hardly hurts at all. Honestly.

I had a fill each month for 4 months after surgery. It was the 4th one that did the trick. Everyone is different, and I kept asking myself (and others) "How will I know when I have good restriction?". They all said "You'll know". And they were right.

I was frustrated because I really felt like I could eat almost as much as ever, but in fact I wasn't. It wasn't until this last fill that I really feel a bit of a "slap" when I gobble things too quickly. It keeps me full for a good 3 -4 hours after I eat one to one-and-a-half cups of food. I have been losing weight slowly but steadily. I am happy with that because it took me 56 years to get to my pre-surgery weight and its going to take awhile to get to a healthy weight.

I was banded on Oct. 24 and I am 1 pound short of a 40 pound weight loss. By the way, slower weight loss generally results in less loose skin - so be patient!

The lap-band has been the best tool I have ever had to help me eat better. Best of luck to you!

Mary

And just as important as what a fill procedure is like is the aftermath. You may be on liquid or mushy food for a day or two (some doctors, even longer). But, with each fill you will find yourself feeling satisfied without eating a lot of food and each fill will take you closer to your sweet spot. And, with each fill, weight loss will improve to a steady rate. Right now, you've found your way to bandster hell but the first fill will be the beginning of what you hoped for when you signed up for the band in the first place. I'm due my third fill on 4/28 and I need it. I expect this fill to get me even closer to my sweet spot and to help me along. Sometimes I feel like the only reason I'm losing is I make myself walk away from food. Other days, I feel restriction and I just don't want the food. I'm expecting more of those "just don't want" days soon!!

If you lost 34 lbs since your surgery March 31st, I dont get why you feel like you are failing your band. You are supposed to be in recovery. Im surprised they would give you a fill already. My doctor made me wait to schedule after 5 weeks had passed. I also sure wasnt down a much as you are. Maybe your expectations are too high for losing?

You might or might not have resistance after the first fill. You might have had swelling after your surgery is why they had to unfill you. My surgeon also wouldnt prefill me, but that may be due to having a realize band.

Iv had 4 fills for 1.8 cc, 1.8 cc, .5 cc and .4 cc, way too conservative, so I feel like I still dont really feel enough resistance. The band was a bit of a dissapointment for me, but Im losing, no matter what, even if its a lot harder than I expected.

I was banded on March 12th, '09...my first fill was one week ago. This morning, finally, I had lost 2 more pounds! My total loss is -46 now...and several inches! My tummy will accept foods on some days and for the first time yesterday, did not want any solid anything. I drank Protein Shakes. Today is a good day...I'm happy, love the band and moving forward~!

Congrats to you...34 lbs since March! That is awesome. I agree, you are not failing your band. One of the things that the classes at UMASS taught me is that each person is different. While it is great to get input from others, we cannot judge ourselves by the same standards. We were told that a fill is given when the person's system is ready. That can mean various things. For instance, there is not weight or shift in weight over a period of time, no full sensation or restrictive sensation, and/or time element. I had my surgery one week ago today and would not even expect that they would suggest a fill for another 3 weeks or so. I hopped on the scale today and lost quite a bit, but cannot wait for my first follow-up on Monday to get an "official" count. (Even though there is no real reason for me to think my scale is incorrect as to the loss amount.) Keep working on all the important habits that we have to learn, relearn, adopt, whatever is applicable to each of us. Best of success.

Just keep yourself....