Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"they" say I have lost enough weight..give me a break!

I love my lap band and I am very happy with my progress! However I am so annoyed at those who now tell me to stop losing! I have discussed my goal weight with both my surgeon and primary care doc. Both agree that because I am small boned I should be somewhere between 139-135. Now friends and people I know casually are telling me I have lost enough weight and should stop! The are even trying to sabotage me. I hate to point out that I am now thinner than those who are telling me this. I just smile and tell them I am following doctors orders. Any one else going through this?

diane losse as much weight as you fill you need to thats its only up to you,congratts on your weight losse you are doing great....lol

Not me, but my sister.

Do what is best for you and WTG on the loss!!!

Thank them for their concern and move on. It most likely is not what they will expect to hear from you and will drop the conversation. I have recently encountered the same, first from my parents who had not seen me in 6 months. They said OH BUT YOU LOOK FINE THE WAY YOU ARE....to wich i replied "oh how nice it is to hear that" , in my head im thinking my god i still weigh 170 lbs pffft i got a ways to go. But compared with 359 lbs i guess i do look fine LOL. I heard the same kinda thing this week in the fill center of all places. Two folks said something to the same effect of looking fine just the way i am. Again i replied with "oh thats so nice of you to say", this time thinking in my head.. yeah maybe i look fine but jeeze i want to look better then just FINE, i want to look great. Only you know how you feel in your body and it is your prerogative to lose until you feel happy with yourself.

You guys all have the right attitude. Thanks! I think I got cranky because i heard it from three people in three days. Good luck to all of you! You are doing great!

I pretty much experienced the same thing.....I had an overweight relative ask me if I was pretty much where I wanted to be?? and I thought "not hardly,I'm just getting started,I got another 40 to go!" I think it intimidates some people to see others suceed!! Do what's best for you,it's your body!!:welldoneclap:

I have to be honest that has been a concern for me I dont want to lose too much wieght. I dont think people can be all exspected to follow a chart its where you feel healthy where you look good. I have been told 145 is my idle wight NOT I would look like a crack head at 145 hell my ass and hair is almost half of that lol I would look good at 175 180 to hell with that chart I want some curves its the rolls i cant bear. Good luck to everyone Michelle

Kelin, that is totally awesome that you have lost that much so far! You are just the inspiration I need. I am at 37 gone now and I think about 100 to go. OH well, it has been a short trip for me so far and I love to hear about those of you have done so well. Thank you for sharing and all of you have the right outlook. This is your trip, not theirs, so you just go as far as you want and enjoy the view on the way!

I don't get that I look fine yet. But, people are always questioning how much more I am going to lose and how that is "possible"..."you can't afford to lose THAT much". I just say, well, we will see when I get closer to that point.

I don't know why people think that people constantly need their two cents. KWIM.

Di,

I have been going throught the exact same thing! My goal is 135 also. I noticed that everyone around me was really supportive until I started getting smaller than them. Now they say I'm giong to look like a crack head if I lose anymore, etc.

I HATE to hear that I look fine or why do I want to be smaller than a size 6! I set my goal to where I would end up in the MIDDLE of my healthy BMI range. I think that is reasonable, healthy, and normal. I weighed 105 when I married my kid's dad (the ex). Why is it so hard to accept that I can weigh 135 at 43? Geeze! Leave us alone already!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you Di and congrats on your weight loss!!!

I am about 21lbs from goal and I get comments from people that new me when I was at my heaviest... They are saying that I am already small enough and constantly trying to give me something to eat.

They assume that because I can't eat much it wont hurt for me to have this or that ... It's annoying. I just ignore it though and do my own thing.

I think that part of the problem is they aren't used to seeing you this thin! They don't know how to deal with it and to them, [because ya know, you (not necessarily YOU but I mean in general, you, or us!) were always the fat one], anything near normal, is too thin now.

A comeback, if you think you even need to dignify their comments with a response, is that you and your DOCTORS have come up with a goal weight and that's what you're working towards. Thankyouverymuch!

Ooo, ooo! I know! Get all southern belle, sugar-sweet on them and say something like, "Why Sweetie, Thank you SO much for your concern! I AM under a doctors care but I'll be sure to tell you first thee MOMENT something goes wrong!!" 'Cause ya know, they are JUST so concerned for your health!

LOL! Sorry, I'm in a strange mood tonight! Could be fun tho! LOL!

I have to be honest that has been a concern for me I dont want to lose too much wieght. I dont think people can be all exspected to follow a chart its where you feel healthy where you look good. I have been told 145 is my idle wight NOT I would look like a crack head at 145 hell my ass and hair is almost half of that lol I would look good at 175 180 to hell with that chart I want some curves its the rolls i cant bear. Good luck to everyone Michelle

MyMy, your post cracked me up! I would also look like a crack head at my goal weight of 145. I have had people tell me I look good and I still weigh 215 lbs. I think they just mean we look so much better. I don't really think they mean anything by it.

At my age of 54, I don't want to look like like a prune! I am aiming for 180 lbs. and I think that will suit me just fine with possibly a Tummy Tuck.< /p>

Those charts are a crock! :thumbdown:

I think like the others said, we know where we want to be and it's our business.

DITTO!!! I still have a way to go yet, and I'm constantly bombarded with that question. At age 24 I weighed 115. I DID look sick then, but looked GREAT at 125. At my age, I have no desire to be that weight again. I'll have a lot of excess skin too, so 135 to 140 is just fine with me. that is NOT "to thin". But everyone else in the world seems to think so lately. I was comfortable at 135 after having babies, so I know I will be comfortable being there again. Is my weight really anyone's business but my own???? goodness, people are funny about stuff like this. It IS irritating.

The exact same thing is happening to me. My best friend has said that I am way out of proportion. I have a very large bust and very narrow hips and legs and she has said I am way to skinny in the legs. I a 5'2 and I wear a size 4 pants. She has always been the skinny one and now I am smaller than she is. I just tell her the doctor thinks I should lose another 10 lbs for health reasons. That seems to shut her up. She really hasn't been that supportive about this whole journey. She has taken me to fill appointments but she rarely asks me about how I am doing and she almost never gives compliments. Oh well I am super glad I did it and thats really all that matters.