Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The prez on Leno

Does anyone else find it extremely wrong that our nation's President was on Leno last night? IMHO it is a slap in our face! It just cheapens the highest office in our nation. Plus in our economy spending our money very unwisely! We pay for his security. It cost extra to do something special like that. :tongue_smilie:

The Canadian politicians routinely appear on Canuck TV satire shows. To tell you the truth, it gives me the warm and fuzzzies seeing them there. I can understand where you are coming from, though. It is akin to seeing the Pope doing a guest appearance on Conan - now, that is something I would love to see.

I loved it! DH is very right-wing and even he liked it. (Of course, after he said, "He talks good...let's see him back it up.")

But, I think he's charming and funny, and I enjoyed hearing him speak on his own. (Then again, I don't think Leno's questions weren't pre-approved and answers thought out.)

But, I enjoyed it very much. I understand about security, but I had a friend on the secret service detail for Hillary and she really abused the SS, by having them carry luggage, and all kinds of things she shouldn't have.

And, what about Clinton? Playing sax, SNL...and when he'd go around DC, he'd take side trips. So, the whole idea isn't new.

I think it's BETTER to humanize the president. It is the highest position, but it's not showing less respect when they try to connect to the general public. He's not a God, so why not put him in the public eye more often. How many people watch the speeches, the news vs the entertainment industry.

I can speak for me when I say I'd rather see the prez on Leno than on CNN.

I am very happy with how accessible Obama is.

he's just the front man for the PR campaign, might as well do all the shows. Even though I think it's ridiculous how upset people get with non-politically correct statements, can you imagine the different coverage if it was Cheney or Sarah Pailin who made a Special Olympics joke?....but then they wouldn't do that

He should be running the country, not playing on Leno. He's put us and our kids, kids, kids in great unfathomable debt with the strokes of his pen and I don't feel he is very wise to place himself on a comedy show when he knows full well that every eye is scrutinizing his every move and every word. How foolish. And before anyone tells me how much Bush spent before him, I'd like to say that at least it was spent to protect us from terrorists rather than the odor pigs give off. And Obama has spent, in his first few months in office, more than EVERY president since George Washington put together. It's sickening! (and what's he doing making fun of the special olympics anyway?) He played it off like he was joking around, but when someone speaks like that without thinking, (and especially coming from the president),it shows how he really feels about the mentally handicapped. He seems to me to be a very prideful man. Too self confident. And we all know what comes after pride. The fall.

I don't mind that he went on Leno per se, but I do think it was more of a PR stunt to take attention off of treasury's involvement in the AIG fiasco, and off the economy in general.

I don't mind that he went on Leno per se, but I do think it was more of a PR stunt to take attention off of treasury's involvement in the AIG fiasco, and off the economy in general.

Well, if that's true, it tells us alot about his character. Deceitful.

Well, if that's true, it tells us alot about his character. Deceitful.

Did you folks even watch his appearance on the Leno show? The reason I'm asking is that he addressed the "AIG fiasco" specifically for almost 7 minutes. Just thought I'd mention it.

Did you folks even watch his appearance on the Leno show? The reason I'm asking is that he addressed the "AIG fiasco" specifically for almost 7 minutes. Just thought I'd mention it.

Right. But what I'm hearing is how AIG is "a symptom of a culture of corporate corruption and greed", stuff like that. What I didn't hear was an opinion on the constitutionality of congress totally shredding Article I section 9.

The fact that AIG execs get gigantic bonuses from our tax money is morally reprehensible and unethical, to say the least.....but folks, if congress can pass a bill of attainder and laws ex post facto regarding one group of people, then they could do it to us all.

It scares me to think that congress is trying to use the law to take away money from private citizens, when it was the congress (specifically Chris Dodd) and treasury department that approved giving them the money in the first place.

I have not qualms at all about the president appearing on Leno. I also think it makes him more accessible.

Right. But what I'm hearing is how AIG is "a symptom of a culture of corporate corruption and greed", stuff like that. What I didn't hear was an opinion on the constitutionality of congress totally shredding Article I section 9.

The fact that AIG execs get gigantic bonuses from our tax money is morally reprehensible and unethical, to say the least.....but folks, if congress can pass a bill of attainder and laws ex post facto regarding one group of people, then they could do it to us all.

It scares me to think that congress is trying to use the law to take away money from private citizens, when it was the congress (specifically Chris Dodd) and treasury department that approved giving them the money in the first place.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this supposed "oversight" by congress was not an oversight at all. Perhaps it was deliberate attempt to throw someone under the bus and give us an evil scapegoat so that Article I section 9 could be shredded. Without demonizing AIG, I don't think they could have gotten away with it.

I don't agree with the AIG bonuses at all and they are indeed a travesty, but I think someone turned a blind eye that wasn't really blind at all.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this supposed "oversight" by congress was not an oversight at all. Perhaps it was deliberate attempt to throw someone under the bus and give us an evil scapegoat so that Article I section 9 could be shredded. Without demonizing AIG, I don't think they could have gotten away with it.

I don't agree with the AIG bonuses at all and they are indeed a travesty, but I think someone turned a blind eye that wasn't really blind at all.

Heather, I agree 1000% (as usual). That doesn't make for interesting debate though, does it? So I'll close with this: You suck! Oh wait....that's a personal attack. Crap!

I thought it made Obama more personable. I really enjoyed his interview. As far as the special Olympic comment, although it wasn't very tasteful he apologized for it----we're all human. I'm sure we've all said stuff just as bad but we're not publicly scrutinized.

I thought it made Obama more personable. I really enjoyed his interview. As far as the special Olympic comment, although it wasn't very tasteful he apologized for it----we're all human. I'm sure we've all said stuff just as bad but we're not publicly scrutinized.

The "Special Olympic" comment - not a big deal in my book. Anybody can mis-speak.....he clearly did not intend it to disparage mentally handicapped people. It kind of made me laugh that people made such a huge deal of that comment, yet were ok with the content of his "interview".

The "Special Olympic" comment - not a big deal in my book. Anybody can mis-speak.....he clearly did not intend it to disparage mentally handicapped people. It kind of made me laugh that people made such a huge deal of that comment, yet were ok with the content of his "interview".

I'm with ya. He was just making fun of himself, something certain former presidents would never have been human enough to do.