Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch bigger--help!!

I was banded 10 months ago, and flew to Detroit to have it done..Good surgeon and care..I went at 285 lbs. and got myself down to 230 in around seven months..Felt great!..While in Detroit, the Dr. discovered a hiatal hernia, the second largest he had ever seen, and repaired it before doing the banding, something he would normally never do, 2 surgeries at once, but since I flew there, he did it..My fill Dr. hee in Pittsburgh told me the same thing about 2 surgeries at once. I am at the max fill, and went the other day because my pouch had enlargened since my last visit.. This time it was more enlarged, double the size, and he removed ALL of the saline..He said that he hopes to have the stomach relax enough, settle down and become smaller, then see me in 4-5 weeks....If it hasn't, the BAND MUST COME OUT, he says..I am devastated..I must mention that during the past 6 weeks or so, between the fills and checkups, I put back 20 plus pounds..That tight feeling practically left, so, I ate more....He says this happens to maybe 3 of 100 patients, and that my chances are 40-60 that I will be able to be filled again.....CAN ANYONE "IDENTIFY AND/OR HELP ME HERE WITH SOME THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS???....Many thanks, Chuck

Chuck, I have rad that on this forum before. I have heard that the doctor removes all the Fluid to give the pouch a rest/stomach.

During this time, people go on the 5-day pouch test, which might help shrink the pouch. I don't know much other than that.

Here is a link. Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Good luck!

Chuck - just curious. Since you live in Pittsburgh, why did you go all the way to Detroit to get this done when there are excellent hospitals in Pittsburgh that do thousands of bariatric surgeries? (Yes, I'm from Pittsburgh). Also - GO STEELERS!!!

My ins. would 'not' cover it since I was 33.5 body mass, and had to be 35....Was 'not' going to put on 20-30 pounds then have to wait 6 months also....In Detroit, you only have to be a '30' body mass index, plus have 3 co-morbities, which I do.. Additionally, I got scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks..Of course, had to pay cash..I know the surgeons in Pittsburgh are excellent as I go to one from U.P.M.C. for my fills, or now, for taking it alllllllll out!!

I didn't know that the BMI eligibility for banding was done by hospitals, I thought it was done by insurance companies. Since your insurance required 35 (as did mine, although I was like 34.8 at time of surgery) was it the 6 month requirement of pre-op diets you didn't like? Because if you're paying cash, I would think any hospital would do it. But then there's all those pre-op tests that wouldn't be covered either. Anyway, removing all the fills might help. I've seen posts to that affect. Did they give any reasons for the pouch stretching?

Are you a STEELERS fan? I don't follow football but hope they win.

Good luck!

How did your insurance Co. determine your BMI??..They go by the Dr's word????..You are correct as to what I was thinking----Didn't want to wait the 6 months and go through all of the tests, plus costs of the test, and it was 8.000.00 cheaper there!!!!....My Dr. merely sent in my medical records confirming my co-morbities etc., they did my BMI there as I had to be over 30, NOT 35.....Incl. in cost of 11,700.00 were blood tests, x-rays or any other tests exams pre and post, 2 night's stay in a hotel, transportation to and from airport, one night stay in hosp. after surgery..So, that's it, but now I'm so worried about the pouch bigger..By the way, the Dr. who did my banding repaired the huge hiatal hernia first, the size of a softball he says, second biggest he's ever seen, and told me --"NO CHARGE FOR THAT!"....His name was Dr. Gazyreli(spelling??)....And believe it or not, you can CALL him at anytime and he will talk to you via his cell phone, even if in surgery, out to eat, at home, in office etc.----:) ANYWHERE!!....WHERE did you ever hear of that??.....My best, Chuck....Go Steelers..Yep!!----I am a fan!!

Well, Chuck, you were lucky to find such a doctor. They should clone him. I can't even get in touch with my surgeon after hours - I would have to go to the ER and they page him. And yes, my insurance company took my doctor's "word" (read: forms) for my weight and BMI. I only got to that lower BMI from losing weight on the 6 month pre-surgery diet. I was going to be damned if I was then going to be punished for it by being denied surgery. I would gladly have put on a few pounds to get me to 35. But the insurance approved it. And the 6 month pre-op diet, a psychological evalutation and 35 BMI with one co-morbidity was required by the insurance not the hosptial. That's all they required for approval. All the other tests I endured were doctor required. I just had my second fill on Tuesday and right now I am eating soft foods and liquids only and it is still not pleasant - pain and pressure. I'm hoping that will improve over time.