Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Upper Quadrant Abdominal Pain-? Port Pain

I am 3 weeks post op and experiencing pretty severe left side pain. It is intermittent and worse with movement. I am a nurse and I don't think my port is infected. I don't have a fever, no redness at my port site, and no pain with palpation of the port, but the pain starts at my port site and radiates around my left side. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

I had radiating pain from the port site but mine moved upwards toward my stomach (My port is above and to the right of belly button,). The pain happened around the same time-3 weeks in. At the time I was told that it was normal and was due to the healing of the abdominal muscles where the port and tubing was stitched. Hope you feel better soon.

I had it around four weeks out, but had also started doing abdominal exercises around the same time. The doctor assumed that mine was due to the exercises and asked me to back off for a little while longer.

The pain diminished gradually, but it did have the feel of muscle soreness and an occasional sharp pulling feel. It went away completely within a couple of weeks.

If I shake up my abdominal routine now, which I do from time to time, I still get an occasional twinge in this spot but I recover quickly.

What does your doctor say about it?

Get this....I called my doc this morning because it was hurting so bad I was crying. His nurse tells me that when she had her "Boob job" that the scar tissue hurt and thats probably all it is but if it's not better next week to call and make an appointment. I don't think a breast augmentation and a lap band surgery are similar....lol! It has gotten better since the day has progressed, it feels like it did the first day post op, just sore with the pulling sensation. Hopefully it will go away soon.

Get this....I called my doc this morning because it was hurting so bad I was crying. His nurse tells me that when she had her "Boob job" that the scar tissue hurt and thats probably all it is but if it's not better next week to call and make an appointment. I don't think a breast augmentation and a lap band surgery are similar....lol! It has gotten better since the day has progressed, it feels like it did the first day post op, just sore with the pulling sensation. Hopefully it will go away soon.

If it hurts so bad you are crying and at three weeks out it feels like day 1, I am concerned. Is it possible for you to call back and speak directly to the doctor or have the doctor call you? Comparing pain like this three weeks out to a boob job makes no sense to me. It doesn't make sense that you should still feel this way.

Did you have pain like this from the beginning? I know you said it was intermittent, but I was just wondering if you could have pulled something or maybe your back is slightly out of alignment. Perhaps it is something other than the band.

I had this same exact problem. It was so bad that taking a deep breathe would send stabbing pain through my side. I am pretty tough, having had a hip replacement and multiple other surgeries, but it was absolutely killing me! I called the doctor and explained all of my symptoms. (My port site also felt very warm to the touch) The nurse told me to exercise! Exercise? I couldn't even breathe! It finally got so bad that I went to the ER. I've continued to have a little bit of pain, but the worst of it has gone away. I just had to share my story of something stupid a nurse said...hope everything gets better for you.

Did it go away on it's own? Did they find anything in the ER?

I'm having the same problem. It's a little scary.

Could it possibly be gas? Probably not since you feel pulling, not just tightness and pressure. I'm sorry you feel so bad; Crying with pain isn't anything to take lightly.

This "pulling pain" is what I have been dealing with also. The difference seems to be that I have had absolutely no port pain. Mine is also on the left side, but around my stomach area. It is gradually getting better....or at least it was...until I bent over yesterday to pick up something. Sore the rest of the day and last night... Hopefully it will go ahead and disappear soon. I have no where near the pain that I did after my surgery, and agree that you should really try again to get an answer from your surgeon.

I also have discomfort over my ribs on left side. It feels like a pulled muscle, and the first time it happened was at about 3 weeks out.

I asked my surgeon about it and she said it's because the port is sewn to muscle. As this heals it causes this 'pulling'. I found an ice pack helped when I layed down at night. I've also discovered if I eat a bit too much it gets uncomfortable again.

As for the nurse with 'exercise'...hooey! I work out six days a week and it hasen't made this area hurt less...but time seems to be working :-)

Could it possibly be gas? Probably not since you feel pulling, not just tightness and pressure. I'm sorry you feel so bad; Crying with pain isn't anything to take lightly.

Restless Monkey,

I have a random questions, kinda. A poster above stated that when she eats too much she feels pain. I am having a similar thing happen. I can't pinpoint exactly the cause as of yet. It is either when I eat too fast, too much, or a high fat food (restaurant refried Beans and queso, for example), I get the dreaded "left shoulder pain" for 5-15 minutes after I eat. This has only happened, say, 3 times, but I am just curious if this is common or what?? Thanks!!

Slpcat, though the question wasn't aimed at me....I'll take a shot at answering. Sounds like what's called a 'hard' stop. Your body saying WHOA. I understand there's something called a 'soft' stop also, which can be anything from a sneeze, a cough, your nose running, which is your band's way of saying 'good time to stop'.

Don't know from personal experience yet, just some info I've picked up here on the boards.

thanks for the info gitrdone!!! I guess I need to do some investigating on the boards. Very intesting . . .