Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem with fills

When the doctor fills the band he has me sit up and drink Water and see if it is tight enough or too tight. I have a hard time being sure with this test! So I left the office and proceeded to have vomiting issues once a week or more for many weeks. I just told myself I was not chewing well. And thought it was my fault, my punishment if you will. But the incidence of food getting stuck was too often and at all the wrong times, (ie social situations)! When I returned I had to have it completely un-filled because the Dr said the band might have slipped with all the vomiting. I am supposed to go back, but will have to pay another 300.00 dollars. Each visit is 300.00 dollars, fill, unfill whatever. I am self pay. This is getting expensive. How can I be sure that it is the proper fill while I am there?:cool:

I don't have an answer for you except to say when stressed or nervous I've heard the band can be tighter (it's hormonal somehow, I think) and if you are stressed (happy stress OR nervous stress) and in a social setting that's probably why you were vomiting? Did you ask your doctor?

I just wanted to say you MIGHT get better response if you post this under the "lap band fills" forum....people who know what's going on or have the same issues may find it more easily there. That MAY not be the exact name but you get the drift....

Each visit is 300.00 dollars, fill, unfill whatever. I am self pay. This is getting expensive.

$300.00 a fills?:cool: Luckly, my insurance paid for my surgery and pays for the fills and unfills. But still, 300 is alot of money. I ask at my Dr. office just to see how much it was and they only charge $100.00 per fill/ or unfill. where do you live?

$300.00 a fills?:cool: Luckly, my insurance paid for my surgery and pays for the fills and unfills. But still, 300 is alot of money. I ask at my Dr. office just to see how much it was and they only charge $100.00 per fill/ or unfill. where do you live?

You know, you're right....my doc gives fills for up to 1 year at no add'l charge to all self pay patients. He said he feels it's more important they get it right than he makes a few extra bucks. Bless that man! ;)

OMG... so I totally have had this same issue! And I finally had enough of the punishment and called the On call docter. He had me go to the office and unfill me completely... So I did.. right when he did that I felt ten times better.. He said if within three or four hours if I am still not able to keep anything down then he wants me to call him and I go to the ER for a xray. I am fine now (I can eat and drink anything) BUT not i have the bubble stomach issues and the running to the bathroom that comes with it... AHHHH.... The advice I received is that to do the fills slowy... like put 5 or 6 weeks in between each fill.. I think my mistake was.. I had my surgery in August and was already on my 3rd fill.... ahhh..... so slow and steady..

The advice I received is that to do the fills slowy... like put 5 or 6 weeks in between each fill.. I think my mistake was.. I had my surgery in August and was already on my 3rd fill.... ahhh..... so slow and steady..

I'm so glad you posted this! My doc is going REALLY slowly....4-6 weeks between fills, and only 1.5 cc's at a time! AND I have a 14 cc band! But he says he's setting me up for success...he doesn't want me to develop GERD or whatever etc. He isn't charging me for them so I'm not feeling ripped off, but it's hard to be patient. He told me I'll start losing at about 6 months out. SIX MONTHS!?! LOL but hey. I have the time. I think. :cool: Anyway thanks for posting because now I don't feel like the only turtle at the track!

I realize that spending 300.00 a fill is expensive but you can't risk the band because of that. Alot of people will stayed overfilled, like you did, because of the cost. That can lead to alot of problems and costs far over 300.00. Maybe talk to your fill doctor and ask them if you leave his office and within a few hours if you need to get some removed if he will do it no charge. I understand were he wouldn't a couple of days later, but within a few hours he should be accomodating. If not, inform him that you will have to find someone more flexible than him. If you need to continue to go to him, your just going to have to go more slowly. If you have to use a little will power a week or so before the next fill, that is a better than losing the band all together. I am self pay also, so I do know the challenges of this problem, but my surgeon is a god send, he is very accomodating and is truly concerned about his patients. They are out there. I have read alot of threads on this site about people who have failed with the band because of this issue. Please, don't let that happen. Have the doctor work with you or find one that will. I wish you the best, Good Luck.

I am self pay too, but they have a 14 day grace period. If something is not working within 14 days of the last fill, there is no charge to come back. I have used this before when I was too tight.

Really you can't tell easily with the Water and since I have a 4 hour drive to see my fill doctor, I have to make each visit count. My last fill left me immediately too tight where I couldn't move into the mushies stage again comfortably, but I could drink Water just fine.

I have a different process now (but my doctor doesn't require the 24-48 hour liquid diet post fills and is ok with it). I schedule my fill and then I go to either a local restaurant to get a cup of Soup (Max & Erma's is near and they have a chicken tortilla Soup that I just love without the tortillas) or just bring some soup along and make sure Soups goes down. If it goes down slowly, I am fine, but it if makes me want to pb immeidately, then I know I have a problem. I also choose soup that is thick in consistency but not chunky. They will tweak my fill level again the same day without an issue.