Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many fills / ccs before you feel restriction...

Hello All, I know that everyone is different but I'm trying to get an idea as to when people start to feel restriction? I had my first fill a week ago. They put in 3ccs...they put nothing in the band during surgery. So far I have no restriction whatsoever. I've been maintaining my weight since the surgery but it's been tough and I'm really hungery. I'm due to another fill this coming Friday. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi Ready, I took 4 fills and 4 months before I really felt any restriction. I only lost 6 lbs during that time. The doctor came in for my last fill (a nurse had done my other fills). He said I hadn't lost that much weight so he pulled out the fill and found out I only had 3cc. in a 10cc band. He put in 1 full cc. I went home and couldn't drink Water so I came back the next day for a slight unfill of .3 cc. This time I was really tight but I could at least swallow water. I think the doctor felt guilty that the original nurse hadn't put in enough and I hadn't lost much weight. I couldn't eat solid foods for about 10 days with this fill and I have lost about 7 lbs. Honestly what I have learned is you really have to be pro-active and assertive with the band. Don't be afraid to tell your worries to your doctor. I have also decided if my fills don't work I may switch to a fill center where all of their fills are done with an x-ray so they know how much water is going through your band (they charge about $375 for one fill and insurance doesn't cover it). Good luck, be patient and keep on top of your adjustments. Keep the faith, Ready

I haven't been banded yet but a woman at the support group meeting told us that it it wasn't until her 4th fill that she finally started feeling the band working and then she was successful the rest of the time - she lost 85 pounds.

Well I had my surgery at the end of april and have had 6 fills totaling 8.5cc's. My last fill of .5 was done this past thursday and the differance is significant. I really wasn't losing weight very fast and I would only occasionally have issues with food if i was eating to fast, or before i learned better, drinking with my food, but no real restriction. NOW! however I'm not really ever hungry the amount of food I can eat is alot less and I've lost 4lbs since thursday. So really it just very's per person I was begining to wonder if i would ever get restriction but I just kept at it. It does become somewhat discouraging at times because I feel like its been so long since my surgery and I havn't lost as much weight as i would have liked to, but I also kept thinking once i get restrition maybe then I'll catch up with my goal. I'm hoping now I've got all the parts to my tool to acomplish that. hope you get your sweet spot soon.

Hi,

I have had 3 fills since April and have 2.5 cc's in a 4 cc band. I didn't notice anything on the first fill but fills 2 and especially 3 have put me in a very good place. Just lately I am noticing I can eat a little more but right now I still feel like it is a good place and will stay here till I am not losing anymore. Just remember everyone is different and good luck on your journey.

Sally

I have had two fills since being banded in July. I supposedly have 6ccs in a 9cc band. I have never felt one bit of restriction. I stay full for a long time, but I am able to eat basically like before surgery. I DO try to make healthier choices. I have lost only 24 lbs., and it is very frustrating. I get my third fill tomorrow. I am hoping it will be the "magic potion" I have needed.

Hi All,

I'm glad I happen upon this discussion, I was just thinking maybe I should make an appointment with my doctor, but I'm trying not to be a bother (complaining patient). When I had my first fill of 4cc he had to back out .4 it was to tight, but after that I really didn't feel anything once I got home. When I went back for fill no. 2 he checked and said it was no longer 3.6cc's in my band he added enough to give me 5cc's however now I have no restriction. I can eat anything just so I don't eat it really fast. I was thinking about going to see my doctor and have him check to make sure I still have 5cc's in my band and perhaps give me a fill if I need it. I have to count calories in order to lose weight, I have lost only 32lbs but being down 32 lbs from 239 in better than nothing. I'm going to keep fighting even though it's a little harder than I expected.

Hi, it took a little more than half the max cc in the band. I had a 4cc band and it took about 2.5cc to get restriction.

Luckily, once I got restriction I did not ever have to go back for an adjustment. Once I reached my goal (actually 10 pounds past my goal) I went in for a slight unfill.

Good luck!

Lapbandtalker, you are my hero! How long did it take you to reach / exceed your goal? I'm a little frustrated because I've pretty much stopped losing and afraid I might actually start gaining. I'm craving restriction! I know I need to be patient but......:). Thanks again for the incentive!

Cheers!

Hey Alicia (AMC581) im curious...do you have a 10cc band or larger? I am currently at 7.5 cc and wondering if i should go up to 8 or 8.5. I have had the band for three months but not at my sweet spot yet but im araid of being too tight.

thanks alot

As I said earlier, it took 4 fills and a slight unfill to really feel restriction and since that time I have lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks. The problem is I still can't eat solid foods, they all come right back up. I can drink small amounts of Soup, Water, coffee and small amounts of my Protein Shake. Sometimes these also make me slime. I probably need a slight unfill but I was "unfilled" for 4 months so I am glad to be losing now. I have another appointment in about 2 weeks and I wonder if I should just wait until then to see if the band loosens up a bit. The band is tricky and you really have to get it right by even .1 or .2 cc. I really envy people like lapbandtalker who got it right and stayed there until she reached her goal and exceeded it!! Hang in there with the fills it really does happen (sometimes too much).

Hey,

It was my 4th fill that has me at restriction, its not my sweet spot but I am lossing slowly but surely...according to this post 4 seems to be the lucky number!

hello i had surgery on july 28th and have 7 3/4 cc in me and still not loosing weight. so i need help as well. I jsut moved to Decatur ga and need to find a dr that will do a fill here in Ga.

Hey Alicia (AMC581) im curious...do you have a 10cc band or larger? I am currently at 7.5 cc and wondering if i should go up to 8 or 8.5. I have had the band for three months but not at my sweet spot yet but im araid of being too tight.

thanks alot

Yes my band is 10cc's i would say do .5 at a time make sure you can drink Water before you leave the office, and if it does end up to tight that would suck but your gonna have to get there somehow. I'm so fortunate that hasn't happend to me but it is a fear every time i go in especially since it's taken so much fill to get to this point. I would say if you really don't have any issues with food and can eat at a reg/fast pace try for the .5 if you think your on the cusp of being there then maybe .25 i really think if you pay attention to the way the food feels when your eating it you know how close you are to being there. Jmho good luck