Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Self-payers of Lap Band

For extremely satisfied LB selfpayers: Where did you go for under $13,000?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. For extremely satisfied LB selfpayers: Where did you go for under $13,000?

• Ohio
    • Mexico
    • Chicago area
    • Virginia
    • Michigan
    • Boston area
    • Pennsylvania
    • New Jersey
    • Texas
    • Colorado

I was a self-pay. But, it was important to me that the surgeon who did my surgery was the one that did my follow-up treatment, fills, etc., so I found one close to home. I do understand, however, that this is not an option for many and that I was lucky.

Thanks susan....I am lucky too in that my regular Primary Care Physician who I like has been training to be a Fill Doctor for FillsUSA I think it's call and they have a good reputation so I hear.

After what's been happening to the banks/economy recently I need to find a good experienced out of state doctor. I live in New York and the prices are outrages here!:confused:

thanks

I was very fortunate to have found an excellent dr within miles from my home that I used for self pay. His fees for surgery, consult, nutrition consult, hospital, and first 3 months of fills (from date of surgery) for $9950.

I went to Mexico, and as far as the surgery went, it was great. My surgeon was very good. I was one of the lucky ones who had a very quick recovery. I never suffered from the gas pains that everyone talks about...and within two weeks, I was completely back to normal. I have had issues with getting my fills here in Texas though, because I have to drive so far to my fill doctor. To be fair, though, I live so rural that had I had the surgery here, my closest doctor would be a two hour drive from me. Right now, my fill doctor is 200 miles from my home. He has just become affiliated with another practice and will be able to offer the fills a little closer to me...160 miles, so life is good. :crying:

I self-paid as well. I researched doctors for about a year and finally found one that I really like within driving distance. Experienced, treats you as an equal, tells you WHY you should and shouldn't do certain things instead of giving you an arbitrary list, etc. I read on this forum some of the wacky and medically unnecessary hoops some doctors make you jump through and I count my blessings.

I paid $14K which is more than your limit and that doesn't include fills. But my point is to suggest that it's hard to put a price on having this much trust and confidence in your doctor. Save a few grand on your next car, clip some coupons, shop for stuff on sale, but spend on your health.

PS: I want to be clear that I'm not saying that pricier = better. Just that price is maybe not at the top of the decision list.

Thanks susan....I am lucky too in that my regular Primary Care Physician who I like has been training to be a Fill Doctor for FillsUSA I think it's call and they have a good reputation so I hear.

After what's been happening to the banks/economy recently I need to find a good experienced out of state doctor. I live in New York and the prices are outrages here!:crying:

thanks

I traveled out of state and my Dr. charges $9,950 which includes the first three months of fills. I chose him not only for the cost but because of his many years of surgical experience. After three months he only charges $15. for fills so even with the airfare, it is less expensive for me to go back to him than to go locally (if I could find someone). It is way cheaper than going to my nearest FillCentersUSA as well, so for me it was a win win.

Tally

Did you come to Colorado?

Yes, I did. I was banded on Sept. 3rd. I will be coming back for my first fill on the 7th.

Deb

I bet your surgeon was Dr. Kirshenbaum, he is also my Dr. I really like his office staff. I go on Oct 2 for another fill. Good Luck!!!

I bet your surgeon was Dr. Kirshenbaum, he is also my Dr. I really like his office staff. I go on Oct 2 for another fill. Good Luck!!!

You guessed it :crying: I am very happy with him and his staff. It was the best thing I ever did!

Deb

Hi Tally: So your sugeon was Dr. Kirshenbaum (I have heard positive feedback about him here) in Colorado? and their fee is $9,990?

This is very resonable and less of hassel than going to Mexico! I've always wanted to visit Colorado. I will look for their web site.

thanks

Hi Tally: So your sugeon was Dr. Kirshenbaum (I have heard positive feedback about him here) in Colorado? and their fee is $9,990?

This is very resonable and less of hassel than going to Mexico! I've always wanted to visit Colorado. I will look for their web site.

thanks

His fee is $9950. and you wil not be sorry if you choose him. He is a very experienced surgeon. His website is www.lapbandrockies.com. Colorado is beautiful :crying:

Dear Tally:

I just e-mailed Dr. Kirchenbaum's office and asked how many LB proceedures he has performed. Did you like the hospital as well? I am just too chicken to go to Mexico especially since i'm sure I'll be doing this solo. My BMI is "only" a 36/37 but have cholesterol and back issues ..hope I'm a candidate for surgery there!? thanks again !!

Dear Tally:

I just e-mailed Dr. Kirchenbaum's office and asked how many LB proceedures he has performed. Did you like the hospital as well? I am just too chicken to go to Mexico especially since i'm sure I'll be doing this solo. My BMI is "only" a 36/37 but have cholesterol and back issues ..hope I'm a candidate for surgery there!? thanks again !!

I'm quite sure you would be a candidate with Dr. K. As far as the surgery center, and I say this very honestly, I have never been to better and I have had many surgeries. It was very clean and attractive and the staff (especially the nurses) could not have been better. They did not rush me and were very kind and personable. Hope this helps.