Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Years and Counting

Hello, All,

I'm new to this site. Didn't even know it existed until I was searching on line for a supplier of Protein Delite. It appears that this product is no longer available in the U.S.:confused:

The Protein Delite mix and the MetRx RTD I found to be the best flavors for my personal taste. Does anyone know of an equivalent to the Protein Delite. I've looked at the Bariatric Eating store and at least one looks promising. Don't recall the name at present put it appears to be packaged very similarily to the Protein Delite.

I was banded August 8, 2002, by Dr. Srikanth in Tacoma, WA. Surgery actually took place at St. Fancis hospital in Federal Way, WA.

I weighed in at 419 the day before surgery. In 7 months I lost down to 295. Unfortunately, losing my job and relocating to Virginia took its toll on me and I gained back some of my weight. I am now at 315. Where I live there are no band support groups and the gastric bypass surgery group was not too supportive not did it appear there was any organization to their meetings. The one I attended in Tacoma, WA, was very well organized providing dietary information, encouragement, and health topics each week in addition to a time of open discussions of problems, etc.

I am ready to get back on the protein supplement trail again. My health and well being have not suffered from not using the protein supplements but I know it has stymied my continued weight loss. All my blood work has been excellent. My food intake has remained steady and I cannot overeat or it all comes back out the way it went in.

My General Practioner Physician has taken over the supervision of my medical care. He is familar with both the lap-band and other weight loss surgeries and has several patients who have had by pass surgeries. I am his first band patient. He would not hesitate to contact a colleague who does the bypass surgeries should any problems arise.

Hi, Fella. I'm another transplant from the Tacoma area. Are you looking for suggestions for Protein powders for shakes, or Protein Bars, or what? I don't use Protein supplements regularly anymore, and haven't since completing my liquid diet phase last year. But when I do use them, I used Hi Health Ultimate Meal powder. Here is a link:

Ultra Plan® Ultimate Meal with Hoodia, vanilla {14 oz} @ Hi-Health

I like the vanilla, and then mix my own flavorings in.

You sound like one of the pioneers of banding in the US. My husband and I are coming up on our one year anniversary, and my daughter is approaching her second year.

I am interested to hear how you view protein supplements and how you feel they helped your weight loss success in the past. There are many paths to success with the band, and it is always helpful to hear how some of the experienced bandsters have done it. For me, avoiding "white carbs" has greatly helped in controlling my hunger.

I'm wishing you further success in embarking on the weight loss journey again.

Hi, Snowbird,

I did have my implant less than a year after it was approved for use in the U.S. The Weight Loss Clinic with which Dr. Srikanth is/was associated did the first 10 lapband implants for the initial study in the U.S.

I found the Protein Drinks to be very very helpful in the weight loss. I utilized them for two meals a day up until the time we relocated here to VA as retirees. I just got out of the habit of using them. I wish to begin again to try to loose more weight.

I have not had a band adjustment since early 2003 and personally I don't believe I need one as the amount of solid food I can eat has not changed much since I first began eating solids after surgery. I went in for four adjustments after the surgery and each time they filled it they had to remove it back to the starting level as it would completely "choke" off my stomach.

My problem in gaining some of the weight back was due to the types of food I found went down easily and I could eat more of them that I needed. Soups can be a real downfall, especially the cream Soups.< /p>

One of the things that really helped me in the early stages was the support group I attended in Tacoma. It was conducted by one of the employees of the clinic and was a structured meeting with handouts, foods to eat or avoid, etc., the use of Protein, discussions about what was working or not working for each person, and just general encouragement. I really miss that one to one touch. I have looked for other bandsters in this nearby area but have not found anyone. I am going to check the Bandsters in Virginia forum board to see if there are any nearby.

I wish you and your family the best in your journey. Your greatest support are or at least should be those closest to you.

:rolleyes2: