Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-band and CPAP

If you are a CPAP user, how was your experience after Lap-band procedure?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you are a CPAP user, how was your experience after Lap-band procedure?

• Positive. No problems. I use CPAP.
    • Routine issues. Manageable problems. I use CPAP.
    • Very bad experiences. Difficult to manage. I use CPAP
    • Dont know. I dont use CPAP.

I have obstructive sleep apnea and have been using the CPAP machine for the past 10 years. I use it every night right through my sleep. I also have diabetes (take insulin injections twice a day), hyper-tension, hypo-thyroidism, and a disposition to gout attacks.

I am 250lb and have been in/around that number for most of the past 10-12 years. Therefore I have decided to opt for Lap-band procedure in mid-Oct-2008.

I'd like to ask the forum members for any experiences - good and bad - from those who have been using CPAP and have undergone Lap-band procedure.

I have heard about bad experiences of chronic productive burping, acid reflux problems, vomitting at night and choking. These worry me a lot since these can potentially get complicated for those who use CPAP and can actually worsen cardio-pulmonary tension.

Please comment.

Edited by Phantom

hmmmmm good question I use a cpap as well but only for a month now. I was thinking the samething... Can't wait to see the responses to this question.

Me Too.

I'm in the evaluation phase for the Realize band.

I have Diabetes II - no meds so far.

Also

recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and "as we speak" trying to get my prescription filled for the CPAP mask and gear.

(BMI 37, hypothyroidism, hypertension, high-triglycerides, arthritic knees, and on and on)

. . . . watching this thread also. . .

i've been using CPAP for 4 years now and i didn't have any problems after my surgery (9/15/08). In fact, it actually helped my breathing because it forces your lungs to take long deep breaths while you are sleeping. the only problem i did have was that i like to sleep on my side, and now it takes me awhile to get comfortable on my side, if at all.

I was banded on June 10 and have all of the above issues. The only one which has not gotten better is the gout. That got worse due to the massive amounts of Protein I was taking. I cut back to 60g a day and have had no further issues.

I no longer have to take insulin, byetta, cholesterol medicine, liver medication or synthroid and I only use my bipap about twice a week. I have lost 30lbs since the surgery and a total of 97 since I was diagnosed with the diabetes in Dec. I still take lasix and BP medication but am ready to come off the BP one as my BP sometimes dips a little low. I just don't want to be too hasty. I have gone from 14 pills and 3 injections a day to 4 pills and no injections. My bipap was set at 17/14 and I have been using it for over 6 years. I get another sleep test next month for my dr to evaluate how much it needs to be decreased or if I can even totally do away with it.

I have had no problems with the acid reflux but do follow the dietary restrictions very closely. I eat almost everything I want but stay away from the "bad carbs". The lapband had been a true lifesaver for me - it has reinforced my ability to deal with the diabetes and other co-morbidities of my soon to be gone obesity.

Oh, I started out at 306 in Nov07, was down to 239 the day of my surgery and am at 209 as of this morning.:thumbdown::thumbup::thumbup:

I use the CPAP machine and I have not had any trouble what so ever. Since my surgury Aug. 22, 2008 I have not had to take one shot of insulin, not one BP med. or noe one Nexium for reflux. I have not had heartburn one time. Hope this helps!