Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MY DOCTOR ONLY GIVES ME 1cc!!!

OK so I am almost 2 months post op I have only had one fill of 1cc it did nothing!!!! I am getting frustrated and feeling like I wasted my time. I have only lost 10 lbs since surgery.. and no I am not going out and eating tons of crap. I am starving though... and I think its so stupid that I have only had one fill of 1cc. So what about you??? what did you have? Should I call around to other doctors to see if they will let me have a fill or what? Because if I have to wait 1 month for each fill of 1cc this will take forever!!!

I just had my first fill 2 1/2 weeks ago and I only got 1cc too! I was so mad especially after seeing people on her getting more than that. As for me it did absolutely nothing and I am actually more hungry now than I was before my fill! I called the doctor and i'm going back in this Tuesday for a second fill, don't know how much i'll get this time though! I would suggest calling your doctor back too and letting them know so you can get back in for a second one. Good Luck!

Actually if you have the new lap band, *(called AP) 1cc at a time is what is recommended for it. And in my research for the band, more aggressive fills can cause problems down the road. So your docs are probably just trying to give you the best care possible. When is your next fill? If it's fairly soon, (within 2 -3 weeks) then I think your docs are just trying to give you good care. It's frustrating, I'm sure, but it is a process.

Emily, how big is your band? I think that may decide how big of a fill they give you. My friend and I were each banded with an 11cc band and the PA at our office does 3-4ccs for a first fill. I asked for 2cc, she put it in, and then had to take 1cc out, because I was too restricted. The first fill was on Aug 20th. I now think I may be ready for a little more.

I have the 14 cc band and my doctors policy was to fill 3 cc's the first fill, 1 month later 2 cc's, 1 month later 1 cc and then 1/2 cc as needed after that.

The first 3 fills did almost nothing for me and I was frustrated and disgusted that they would not bend from their internal policy. I started trying to find someone that would do a fill for me and after quite a bit of looking I did find someone who has been doing lap band for a long time and is very knowledgeable about weight loss in general. I had only lost about 20-30 lbs 5 months after my surgery and he was not too thrilled by that because he said the first 6 months are critical because our bodies figure out what we've done and start working around it. He was willing to be more agressive, but unfortunately he did not have fluoroscopy and he was not able to access my port. I went back to my surgeon and decided that instead of getting discouraged with this process I would just start going ahead and scheduling each fill as soon as I could to get my band to be useful.

If your doctor refuses to fill more then 1 cc at a time, try to work within that and don't get too discouraged or allow yourself to stop getting fills as I did for a while. The 4th fill I had back with my surgeon was very helpful to me and with a change to a higher Protein lower carb food plan I have been more successful in the last 2 months then I was in the first 6 months.

Think about how long you've been overweight.... in the grand scheme of things if it takes 6-8 months to get your band adjusted to a useful point then it's still not that long.

I know if you're like me, it's hard during this time because people look at you like you're a failure because they think of weightloss surgery and imagine gastric bypass patients. I hated going through that and I think that plays a huge role in making this period so frustrating... but do your best to forget about what everybody else is thinking. In a way I am glad for the slow weight loss now because it has allowed my brain time to keep up with what my body is doing. It feels great to be losing weight now after the initial period where everybody was looking at me funny.

Good luck to you.

Don't be in such a hurry. I know it may seem frustrating but those fills will kick in and if you do it to fast you could find yourself in trouble. I have had four fills and the amount is never the same. My last fill was 2/10 of a cc. *That was 2/10 of 1 cc* That may sound like NOTHING but I felt it and it helped...granted that was my fourth fill so I am sure "tweaking" me was his goal. Rushing could cause you to hurt yourself and be miserable! Hang in there...you will get to that "sweet spot" ! Good-luck to you!

I have a 10cc band, doc put in just about 2cc for first fill last week. Told me though if in two weeks im have'g diff w/hunger to call and come back in for another fill early. I have to watch carefully what i eat because dont have much if any restriction yet. I do seem to be satisfied quickly but am hungry again in 3hrs.

i have a 10cc band and not only did he only give me 1 cc in the past 2 months he refuses to fill any earlier.. i have to wait exactly 1 month!!! ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting frustrated and feeling like I wasted my time

You have been banded for only two months how do you figure you have wasted your time? Relax you will get there, you just had major surgery and 1cc sounds about right.

You are two months out and have lost 20lbs with only 70 to go dam you have lost like 25% of your extra weight, sounds to my like you are doing just fine!!! Maybe you might want to focus on the positive a bit more I bet you will feel a little better.

Ok I went back for my second fill today after getting 1cc the first time also. I only got 1cc this time too and have to go back or another fill on Oct. 2nd. My doctor said she will only give me 1 cc at a time in order to inch up to the ideal restriction rather than giving me too much and my having problems. So I guess I will just take it slow, I want to be fuller faster, but I guess I dont want to run into problems either.

I would be patient. You doctor is only looking out for you. If he gives you too much then you will have to go in for an unfill and that will be equally if not more troubling.

Hang in there. It should get better soon. Remember, (as I keep telling myself while waiting to get in for surgery) this is a tiny portion of the rest of our life. We will be thinner and healthier soon and can rejoice then.

Do you know what size band you have? That does make a difference too. I've only had one fill, and I only got one-half of a cc- but my doctor told me I've also only have a 5cc band.

On the down side though, my insurance doesn't cover the fills and he charges me $250 for each.

I though that I was being picked on because I had the same thing done. It's good to know that it's not just me. I also have a 14cc band. I received 4cc on my first fill (which was 2months after surgery) and then just received my second fill of 2cc. I am still hungry! I hope that changes after I'm off the liquid stage again.

I'm with Kaiser and they give fills every month until you've reach your sweet spot.

Now when I went in for my first fill, I thought it was kinda aggressive that he put in 2ccs. But when he gave me a bit of Water to make sure everything was going down okay. I was having problems. So he wanted to take out 1cc. I asked him not to. He told me he could take it out now or Saturday (Which was the next day). Puzzled i said tomorrow? He said when you realize after 24 hrs that you can't eat or drink anything. I would probably be seeing you in emergency tomorrow. So Doctors have to be careful on how much they put in your bands. And that time gives you the opportunity to adjust to it. Cause I'ma tell you I just had my second fill on 9/9/08 and I'm almost at the point where I think I'm too tight and he just put in 1cc. I have to remember to eat and drink.

There are many reasons why doctors only give you certain amounts in your fill but they all go to the same result and that is no complications if possible. You have lost 10 pounds in 2 months and that is right on the mark for the recommended weight loss. The recommended weight loss is 1 - 2 pounds per week AVERAGE. This is one of the reasons your doctor is not taking your stress as an emergency. One of the things that happened to me was that I was continuing my pre-op diet after my surgery so I would continue to loose weight while I waited for my "sweet spot". My doctor was reluctent to give me a fill until I explained what I was doing. He was going by my weight loss not my hunger/volume. After that he was more willing to adjust me if I said I needed an adjustment. However, he gave me 1 cc on the first fill and .5 cc on the following fills.

You should loose 1 - 2 pounds average per week, be able to get by on 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 to 1 cup of produce, and maybe a fruit or multigrain snack. If you're not measuring your food and you're just eating until you're "full", you won't know what to tell him. Also, your calorie intake should be >1200 per day. You should also stay full for 3 - 4 hours in between meals.

We have to work on our head issues also. The band is a subtle thing and it's very easy to miss the signals. It's also very fickle and there were instances where I left the doctor's office thinking that I didn't feel any change and 2 weeks later I was wondering if I was going to be too tight. Our bodies flexuate and so does our tightness. Because the doctor can't be at our sides he has to do what is right for the majority and work it until it fits us as individuals.

Restriction is not a strangle hold on your stomach. It is a sensation of contentment. Trust me, it will come to you. This is not a method of weight loss that is fast but it is a VERY healthy one. You can control your weight loss by exercising the bandster rules and contolling your calories. I am not saying you're eating junk, but if you journal you might find somethings that were overlooked that you can adjust.

Take care and realize that the doctors are not trying to harass you. They are really trying to ease you up to your sweet spot so that you don't have complications. They also have hundreds of patients who need his attention just as much as you do.

Vicki