Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

water , peanuts and proteins

I have three questions .... how much Water can I drink at one time and will water stretch my pouch if I have two much too fast ...

some one on the site posted that their doc told them no nuts ... does this include peanuts ...

third .. how does a vegetarian like me manage to get Proteins inside me without using shakes.< /p>

I am sorry i missed out this information earlier ... I am 9 weeks post op and on solid diet stage ... I have lost 30 pounds till date and I still havent got a fill done ..... thanks

Edited by parul

Why can't you a vegetarian drink the shakes? They are whey and soy protein...that's ok for vegetarians isn't it?

Have you had your band yet? how far along you are postop will

affect how much Water you can drink

that's also pertinent to if you can have peanuts or not

I have three questions .... how much Water can I drink at one time and will water stretch my pouch if I have two much too fast ...

some one on the site posted that their doc told them no nuts ... does this include peanuts ...

third .. how does a vegetarian like me manage to get Proteins inside me without using shakes

I think if you're chugging the water, it would get backed up in your pouch and could stretch it eventually. If you are taking small swallows and waiting in between, it should just flow through to your larger stomach.

I have only seen a few people on here that said their surgeons said no to nuts. I have seen other people eating them, eventually. I think these are the last to the list of solid foods to be added.

On that note, I just looked at my level foods list my surgeon gave me and starting with soft foods, I can have chunky PB! That's level 2. Level 3 says I can add nuts, says mixed, cashews, pecans and peanuts.

As far as Protein, as a vegetarian, you know you can have Beans, soy nuts, etc. If you mean on the liquids, you're just going to have find a shake or powder that agrees with you and use that. Once you can add stuff to your liquids you could blend tofu to add to your broth and such.

Best bet though would be to call your surgeon's office or nutritionist and ask them for specifics regarding all of the above. I can only tell you my thoughts and what my surgeon has given me. I can't tell you what you can or can't do.

Best wishes!!

I am 7 + months out and I can not drink a lot of Water quickly or it will come back up again. I have to take small drinks spaced. If you drink too much, you wont feel good.

I eat nuts and they go down just fine. I did not have any restrictions on them. I am only careful because a little can carry quite a few calories, but I regularly use them to bolster my Protein intake.

There are sooo many shake choices that have plant based Proteins, you should not have any problem finding an acceptable shake.

I am also a vegetarian and I have yet to have my first fill. I have had almonds almost everyday to help with extra Protein. According to my doc you can have nuts. Now... once you have your fills you might be careful with new foods like nuts to make sure that they go down ok. Also, I have my Designer whey protein a few times a week. (2 scoop because it is like over 30 grams of protein)

I think the reason people don't suggest the Protein Shakes because it doesn't sit in your smaller stomach it is a Fluid that goes through more quickly. I figure if that is only 200 calories a day for the 2 scoops and I get in that much protein I ensure that my body will work better. I am not sure as a heavy woman that I got enough protein because I was so drawn to carbs. Just my perspective! Good luck to you!

First of all, you will drink what you can hold. If I drink too much at a time, it comes back up. But, I drink whey Protein Powder every single morning when I get home from the gym. And, I LOVE nuts, they are one of the few foods I can get down and keep down. Can't keep down flour products, any kind of potatoes (even mashed), any kind of chicken, etc..but nuts..NO PROBLEM. Everybody is different, you will find what you can eat and can't. Good luck, you have made such a good decision!!!! D.