Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills vs willpower?

I went in for my second fill yesterday and my doctor didn't want to give me one because I have steadily lost 2 lbs a week since my last fill a month ago. I had to explain to him that the band hadn't totally done that--my willpower had! I seem to get restriction when I eat but the fullness only lasts one hour then I'm hungry again. The only thing that has kept me from eating more is the willpower I have learned from years of dieting! After I explained this he gave me a half cc fill.

Does this make sense? Have any of y'all had similar experiences?

Edited by JRT Mom

I've heard of it! The band is a tool and I guess he figures you're using yours just fine! Hang in there; at least you're losing while you find the "sweet spot"...whether it's will power or the band! The band will catch up to your gumption. I'm pretty impressed!

My doctor told me since I have been losing 1/2 lb a week I don't need a fill.

He said wait until I start not losing or gaining weight.

I am the same as you....it willpower....but it's getting harder and harder.

I'm with you. I have not had my first fill yet, not until 9/5 (6 weeks after surgery), however I've steadily lost 1-2 lbs per week. But it's pure will power.. I've been crying in my pillow at night I'm so hungry and I'm afraid that he will say.. no fill today - your losing okay.

I had the exact same situation when I went in for my first fill. The Dr. wouldn't give me a fill because I had lost sufficient weight. I tried to explain that it was willpower only, not band. I didn't even feel like the band was in place at that time. I have since went back in and had one fill and have slight resitriction now. I am anxiously awaiting my next fill in September!!

I understand your concern. I went for my 2nd fill on Aug 20th and I had not lost a single pound so they were fine about giving me a fill. But I do believe the patient should have a say in whether they get a fill or not. Someone on the threads said her doctor was banded and he was very agressive about the fills because he knows how hard it is if you are relying on will power alone. One woman on the threads took her husband in with her to explain that she needed a fill. I also told my fill nurse that they are all discussed BY NAME on the internet's different websites. She was very interested and I said that was why some people didn't like Dr. Brown. I think when doctors and nurses know they are being reviewed on line they may be more helpful in trying to please the consumer within safety standards. I have no problem with telling the nurses what people like and don't like about their office. Good luck--we are all rooting for you success.

Good grief at 1/2 pound a week I'd be dead before I ever got to goal!

Poor thing!

How about Fill-power?

I will remember to argue with my dr. if he refuses to give me a fill. Even with restriction, it takes will power to stay away from milk shakes, ice cream, etc. because they just feel so much better going down. I had to force myself to get into the mindset that the purpose of the band is to limit my intake of calories by providing restriction. Therfore, if I consume too many calories on soft mushies, I'm defeating the purpose of the band. My point is...it takes both fills and will power to make it through this journey. :biggrin:

You're right, Desertrose. Restriction is why we're all getting, or have gotten, the band! Willpower alone can only take you so far for so long.

Yup I had that and it annoyed the crap out of me. When I got them to agree to do a barium they could see that I was wide open, then they gave me a fill.

I think that care should be more patient led after all we are the ones that live with our bands day to day, so how can they presume that they know better???

Yeah - my doctor has the same policy. I was denied ay my first fill appointment and at the second but I did a ton of sweet talking and got them to agree to a small fill of 2cc's at 10 weeks after surgery. I have the 10cc APS band.

That's the only fill I've ever had and I'm doing great!

Stay the course and do what works for YOU.