Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Dying on the table"

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

So...someone came into chat today talking about how their surgeon kept saying, "And what if you died on the table, what would happen to your kids?" I said something about how that was a little harsh, and a few people kept telling me "this is a reality you have to face."

Is it really this DRAMATIC? I have accepted and weighed the risks and want to go forward...can someone detail to me why someone would DIE on a table getting a lap band? I keep hearing, "with any surgery there is risks," and I'd like some specific examples of reasons that may happen so I know if I should worry more than I am....

Thank you and hope everyone is doing awesome today!

You know, i have weighed the risks. I started off morbidly obese with High Blood pressure, Diabetes and sleep apnea. Then just recently my mom got cancer. That really rocked my world, I figured that it would be my turn someday and being overweight would not help my chances.

So I made the decision to do this for me. I'm much healthier now and ready to meet the challenge head on.

well i did have a LONG chat w/my anesthesiologist that he better make sure i wake up. that was my only one fear - i hate going under, i did the same when i had my appendicectomy: MAKE sure I wake UP!!!

risks are risks - staying overweight is as much. as far at the chat rms here; been once & once for a reason:tongue:

good luck to you!!

My surgeon said he has lost only one patient within one day of surgery, and that was for a bypass. He's lost none getting the lap band. However, at least 7 have died waiting to get the surgery, proving to him that the risk of obesity of stronger than the risk of surgery. Some people just like to be Debbie Downer and always point out the bad side of an issue. I guess they're expecting you to say, "You know, you're right. I'm going to cancel this life-saving surgery and just wait to die from fat."

There are always risks wwhen you go under anesthesia. That is why they do bloodwork, radiographs and stress tests. To look for potential problems. The actual risk is very small. But this is an elective procedure, so the risk must be taken into consideration. My risk of dying because of health problems caused or made worse by my obesity were greater than those for the surgery.

I work in Veterinary medicine where fewer precautions, and often, less safe anesthetics are used. In the 12 years have worked in this field we have never lost a healthy patient under anesthesia.

If you pass your preop tests and take your preop diet seriously (if your doctor recommends one) your risk is very low.

Yeah the wording used, was fairly harsh. I think the biggest risk with ANY surgery is the anethesia (sp?). That is really the only thing that concerns me b/c I have never had surgery before and there are no guarantees on how I will react... I think it is wise to be prepared if something should happen, but also realize it is very rare and most likely you will doing absolutely fine. I think asking yourself the "what would I do with my kids if something happened to me question" is important, irregardless of the surgery. Any one of us could accidentally die in any type of accident at anytime. I think it is important to plan for that situation so you know your family is taken care of, but hope/pray that won't happen anytime soon... ya know?

Good luck with your surgery!! I know I am getting excited and anxious to get my surgery date!!

Amy

Dont people just love to dramatize? This is really pretty stupid, considering its a very short, very safe, very uncomplicated procedure.

There is always a small risk with anaesthetic but its very very tiny. The operation itself is not very dangerous, there's no disconnecting your heart and lungs, or taking a kidney or a section of your bowel for example! I dont know why people dont worry about the risk of dying when they have a baby, that's possible too but they dont spend their entire pregnancy worrying about it! Well, most people dont.

Relax, the risk of remaining obese is MUCH greater than the risk of dying of the anaesthetic or the surgery which are absolutely miniscule.

The statistics I was quoted were 1 in 200 die. My Doc has never lost a patient and he's over 1000 now. Surgery carries a risk but I think to stress the "Die on the table" thing is over the top. IMHO if the surgeon is that unsure, find another one.

Just make sure you're honest with your doctors, don't try to hide any symptoms, and give them the info they need to get you through. IE if you didn't fast pre op like they said, but had breakfast...(Ok that's over the top but it's just an example) You be straight with them, they will get you through it. People who lie, (ie have a cold and hide it) are the ones who are sure to have problems.

I work in surgery and I can tell you that very healthy people can have very bad things happen to them while they are under. Example I can give you is a patient that we lost a few years ago that came in for cataract surgery!!!!

Yes, this is a relatively safe and simple procedure that is done around the world every day, but there are risks when getting anesthesia. You need to discuss these risks at length with your doctor and make the right decision for YOU.

Was I worried about not waking up and possibly not being there for my kids....you bet!!!!! I would be stupid not to be.

Know that in surgery, we do the best that we can with what we have, but one little reaction to a medication can be fatal!!!

Surgery is a big step that requires research and committment!!! Be informed.

The statistics I was quoted were 1 in 200 die.

RestlessMonkey, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but 1 in 200 sounds awfully high. I was quoted a mortality rate of 0.05%. I recently read an article that stated:

Lap band surgery was approved for use in 2001, and gets safer and safer all the time. In fact, the death rate for lap band surgery, which is at a nationwide rate of 3 or fewer deaths in 10,000 surgeries, is even lower than routine surgeries such as hernia repair surgery.

Here's the link for that article --> Can The Risks Of Lap Band Surgery Be Life Threatening?

Now I'm not saying that statistic is 100% correct either, but it sounds closer to what I was told. I just want BikiniBeachy to have the correct information.

It does seem like I read somewhere the risk of infection was 1 in 200....

Okay here's the article about the infection risks, here it is --> What are the risks of Lap Band Surgery?

That article also says the nationwide death rate is 3 in 10,000 or fewer.

Was anyone else quoted a statistic that high?

I think its entirely possible that either 1. The doc misquoted or 2. I misunderstood or 3. I misremember....because I agree 1 in 200 seems high. That would be .5% and that is pretty cruddy odds, actually!

So I think I'll have to say disregard that please. Laparoscopic surgery is pretty benign. I know the odds of dying from the surgery are MUCH lower than the odds of dying from some complication of morbid obesity!

And thanks Georgia Girl for pointing that out!

I work in surgery and I can tell you that very healthy people can have very bad things happen to them while they are under. Example I can give you is a patient that we lost a few years ago that came in for cataract surgery!!!!

Yes, this is a relatively safe and simple procedure that is done around the world every day, but there are risks when getting anesthesia. You need to discuss these risks at length with your doctor and make the right decision for YOU.

Was I worried about not waking up and possibly not being there for my kids....you bet!!!!! I would be stupid not to be.

Know that in surgery, we do the best that we can with what we have, but one little reaction to a medication can be fatal!!!

Surgery is a big step that requires research and committment!!! Be informed.

Ditto! I think that the comment was taken completely out of context and was turned around in some ridiculous melodrama. It likely wasn't intended as anything other than a question about whether the patient had their "ducks in a row." It IS a reality that you have to face. All people should have a will, a living will, and a healthcare power of attorney. Not because you are having surgery, but because you could trip going down the stairs and break your neck. Like the Boy Scouts say...Be Prepared!

RestlessMonkey~ There are soooo many stats out there nowadays, it's hard to keep up, lol. I had to do some digging into my paperwork to find out the mortality percentage my doctor quoted. Maybe you were thinking of the death rate for gastric bypass??? Anyway, take care and best of luck to you.