Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weight loss?

Has anybody else had lap band surgery and not lost weight? I had my band placed 7/25/05. I have lost 12 pounds, period. I see my surgeon, I see the nutritionist, I exercise, I follow the rules. I also see an endocrinologist. I was 211 the day of surgery, I am 199 now, and have been for over 2 1/2 years. My surgeon says he has no idea why, my endocrinologist says the same thing. I am currently using Symlin off label, for weight loss, prescribed by my endocrinolgist. I have also tried Byetta. The good news is my blood sugars are very stable, the bad news is no weight loss. Oh well, I just keep telling myself at least I haven't gained! Has anyone else experienced this? Please, tell me I'm not alone!! It is VERY depressing reading other peoples success stories!

Edited by nursemom

I was banded 7/1/08 and had lost 24 pounds on the 10-day liquids prior to the surgery. After that it seemed to stop. Even that first week when I ate nothing--and I do mean, nothing!--I didn't lose anything. Finally, after a couple of weeks I started losing again and it has been really slow but steady since then. I'm up and down every day but over all I lose the 1 to 2 pounds per week that they recommend. And I'm not exercising very much. But I envy you, I would almost kill to be 199! I started at 320 and am down to 282 and have 107 (at least) to go. Good luck and don't get discouraged.

Leigh

Alabama

:biggrin:

I am going through the same thing. I was banded on 7/17 and lost 10 lbs at my 2 week post op appointment. I have lost 2 more pounds since then... today has been four weeks since my surgery. I am more active than ever, walking everyday. Some days I don't think I'm getting enough calories and wonder if my body is going into starvation mode. I'm seeing my nutritionist in 2-weeks when I get my first fill.

I'm just trying to remember that my body is still adjusting and that when I went into this I was only expecting to lose 1-2 lbs a week, though I hoped for more. I have exceeded that so far so I'll just keep doing what I need to do. Now I'm dealing with hair loss which I didn't expect to happen so soon.

Hang in there! It will get better.

Thank you, keep up the hard work, you'll do great. I did not experience much hair loss, talk to your nutritionist about increasing your Protein. Just a thought:)

Thanks for the encouragement. I am getting in 70 grams of Protein per day and am taking my Vitamins, Calcium and Biotin. I've heard that the Hair loss doesn't normally happen until about 3 months after surgery so one month has been a shock. I have a lot of work related stress so I'm sure that is contributing to it also.

How much can you consume at once? How is your restriction? Are you eating 800-1k calories, no more than 1200. Ask yourself these serious questions. I eat 1-3 oz at a time with good restriction. It took me 35 minutes to eat 3 oz of chicken breast, 5 sliced tomatoes and about 1/4 cup of salad the other day. Today I am tight so I had 3 pieces of melon (took me forever to eat) almost all a tortilla with some cheese melted, 10 crackers, some carrots and 4 bites of scallops with rice. On the days I am not tight, I eat more. My docto says that is fine. I plateaued for 7 months. Finally with a good fill and joining Weight Watchers I am losing again. I typically eat high Protein, fruits and vegies with limited carbs. Good luck.

That is certainly a cause for concern. Have you been counting your calories and exercizing? You know they say, "calories in, calories out."

When I first started with the Lap-Band, I thought I would instantly lose weight but very quickly realized that I was in complete control of my success. I started counting calories and realized that I was eating over 2500 calories or more a day on soft and liquid foods and that is why I was not losing. I changed that to 800-1000 calories and tracked everything I ate. I also added exercize and lost over 100 pounds in the last 8 months.

Maybe you should have your thyroid checked if you have not already. The best to you.