Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healthy Pancakes

I just had to share this favorite of mine - I had originally posted it at the home page for food and nutrition but figured this might be a better place. You wouldn't think these would turn out or be good with so little flour but they do!

Healthy pancakes

1/2 C. Eggbeaters (or 4 large eggs)

1/2 C. lowfat cottage cheese

1/4 C. flour (I use whole wheat - doesn't matter)

1/8 tsp. salt

1 Tbls cannola oil

1 Tbls Splenda

1/2 tsp vanilla

Blend all in a blender/magic bullet until smooth. Allow to sit a few minutes to thicken. If batter thickens too much add a little milk.

Coat griddle with cooking spray and heat until Water sizzles when dropped on griddle.

(alternate adjustments: my mom doubles the cottage cheese and adds a little extra flour and egg beater - it still always seems to work out. I have not tried adding a little vanilla Protein Powder but thought I would this week.

I have given below some of the ways I use them - for the more savory options I will use half the splenda and instead of vanilla add a dash of cayenne - but I have also eaten the slightly sweetened ones in the savory ways and enjoyed them just fine.)

You of course can just enjoy them as you would any pancake but here are some fun options:

Sweet

- Mix 2 tbls. reduced fat Peanut Butter (warmed a little in the microwave) with 2 packets splenda (tastes like a reeses) and smear some on a pancake and top with some chopped bananas, pears, apples or strawberries - ROLL and enjoy

- I mix a little reduced fat or fat free cream cheese with a little homemade strawberry jam and warm it up and dip the pancake into it.

Savory

- layer with deli sliced turkey meat and sliced cheese - ROLL and enjoy - also good with a smear of Garlic and herb Boursin Cheese

- Spread with a little warmed refried Beans, top with a little ground chicken or turkey taco meat and shredded cheese, ROLL and enjoy with a little salsa to dip in

Breakfast

- Top with a little scrambled eggbeater/egg, turkey sausage or bacon and shredded cheese

- Roll around turkey sausage (brown and serve makes small turkey Breakfast links) and dip in some warm maple Syrup (think of a sweet pigs in a blanket)

Hope you enjoy and have fun creating new ways to enjoy them - eating them alone offers some decent Protein but I've enjoyed them in fun ways that add delicious alternatives and extra protein.

you should get about 4 - it's hard to say because it depends on what size you pour and this is a scaled down recipe.

I hope you enjoy. We just had them while visiting my sister and we talked about how they remind us of a cross between pancakes and crepes - which is probably why they have inspired so many sweet and savory variations.

-Speaking of we also tried fresh sliced peaches with sweetened ricotta cheese for me and sweetened cream cheese for her rolled up - delicious. Of course with as good as summer's fresh produce is - you can't really go wrong.

wow i was told by my dietition not to eat bread like things like this waste of calories and bread things are easily balled up in your stomach

and may have a hard time getting them down

absolutely - the term pancakes is deceptive - if you closely look at the ingredients there is only 1/4 c. flour - very little in contrast to the amount of batter - it is mostly eggs and cottage cheese but texture-wise it seems like a thin pancake or thick crepe.

I just tried your healthy pancakes and can I just say one word? YUM!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can still have a pancake and Protein too!!! My daughter even liked it :( It will definetley be a favorite of mine!!!!

I am so glad you enjoyed them - my nephews love them too - my sister freezes them and reheats them in the toaster oven. (She makes a huge batch - she usually ends up using an entire large container of cottage cheese - of course there are 5 mouths in her household and no banders.

you know i've been craving pancakes!! i'm still not that tight (6.6 in band) so i may go crazy and make these on saturday:lol: