Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! What to do for Killer heartburn??

I had my lapband surgery 5/28/08. I have just in the last couple weeks started to have heartburn....guess it's heartburn. Never had it before. Today I have it and it is almost unbearable. It hurts between my breasts. I can't work or anything. Yesterday it started between my breasts, but felt like it was hurting all the way thru to my back. But, today is the worst...just between my breast. What can I do?

Update: OK the back pain is beginning again.:thumbup:

Edited by dmw

Since you're at least 6 weeks out, I'd call my doctor to ask. I remember having various pains, but nothing long lasting. While the office is still open, make the call. Worst case scenario, it's nothing. I'd hate to think you could possibly have issues when the office is closed.....Don't ignore pain. Feel better. :thumbup:

You should call your surgeons office right away. This is one of the "warning" signs that you need to call in about to make sure everything is ok since you are having frequently and it sounds severe.

In the mean time, you can always take an over the counter antacid, heartburn medication if it is on your approved list of medications.

Did you recently get a fill? How is your level of restriction currently?

I have not had a fill yet. I have lost 24 1/2 pds. I think I have some restriction..... I'm not able to eat nearly as much as I used to eat. I have called mt center's nurse. I am waiting for a call back. Does this sound like heartburn to you?

I never had "heartburn" or reflux until I need an unfill. I had issues with a huge burn that made me feel like acid was poured down my throat. Drinking Water and antacid didn't make it go away. I didn't have pain per se, though (it was more of a burning)....I think this is something you should wait to discuss with your doctor. I'm not a big proponent of self diagnosis, particularly since we all react differently to the band. I'm glad you called. Keep us posted. :thumbup:

Dear dmw,

My surgeon has us take Prilosec OTC (actually he prescribed an expensive prescription drug but I found out we can substitute with this). He said that bandsters will often have problems with heartburn/reflux as a result of having a band and this will prevent it. I actually use a generic of that. It's inexpensive and it works excellently. I had reflux before surgery and I don't have any problems whatsoever since I've started taking it. I agree with the other posters though that you should still touch base with your surgeon to rule out any complications. I hope this helps.

Thanks. I am taking OTC Zantac...not helping much. I have the pain again today. Really painful. Three days in a row.