Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal Weight Question...

O.K. this may be a silly question, but it has some "background", if you will....today I had my consultation and the nurse looked at a chart and said ,"o.k., your goal weight should be 150 pounds". End of discussion....

Well, now I have been thinking about this...hey, not that I won't want to weight 150, but I want to be realistic this time. I had lost (over 20 years ago) 75 pounds and I was very, very happy with my weight, but the Weight Watcher leader told me that I could not be on maintanence until I lost 5 more pounds. I got pissed....stopped going to the meetings. I was successful, BUT never hit my "goal" according to Weight Watchers. I was able to keep the weight off for a while, but obivously, it's back (and then some...).

So, here is my dilemia....I know it is just a number, but do you guys think I should have my charts changed to reflect what I want to weight and what I think is realistic for me? It is a difference of about 40 pounds...this is a lot of weight and I don't want to sabatoge myself....this is serious "stuff" this time!!!

What would you do?

Margo

Margo,

My Dr say my goal weight is 185-190... But some of my healthist years and best years were when I weight 215..and thats where I want to get to. I played lots of sports and played semi pro hockey at that weight. Was in great shape of course and I was much younger then too. When I get around 220/215 I will make up my own mind if I want to lose more or maintain that weight.

You go with what makes you happy, plain and simple, if I went by what the chart for my height says I would be 135. I have never weighed 135 atleast not that I can remember. I set a goal that is realistic and when I get there I will evaluate and maybe go for 5 -10 more pounds and then again maybe I wont'

My goal by BMI for my height is 125 to 164 lbs. I decided on 160 lbs myself. I have a huge frame and bones and have been overweight for most of my life - so I have high density (yeah no osteoporosis)! My OB thinks I should be about 175 to 180 not pregnant (so who really knows)

I would go with what you want. I figure when I get to 160- I may re=evaluate also but I know that less than 145 would look ridiculous cause I have a big but and I would be so bottom heavy that it would not be curvy

Hi Margo, I have to agree with everyone else. Get to what you see as a goal, and then once you arrive there, see how you feel. I was a little freaked out because our nutishonist says 115-ish for my 5'5" frame. My bones probably weigh that much!

I agree with everyone else, set your own goal and then if you want to go down more you can set a new goal. You have to be comfortable with yourself.

Thank heavens my doctors never uttered the word "goal" in my hearing! I'd have been finished before I started if I had ever been told weighing 150 was the only way I'd be a success.

As for having your charts changed, what's the difference? Those charts aren't what measure your success. They only measure the doctor's version of success, for his statistical records. YOU make your own chart--use fitday.com or something like that--and put in what YOU think is a realistic, achievable, and MAINTAINABLE goal. Whether it's a size or a measurement or a weight, whatever YOU think is your objective is all that matters.

My objective was to get healthier and have more energy and be more comfortable in the world PERMANENTLY. That I've done and am doing. Under no circumstances would it be helpful to be told I still have miles to go after losing 120 lbs. According to those absurd charts I'm still a good 60-75 lbs from a "goal" weight, but I know what is meaningful to me. And that's not it.

I've been giving the idea of a goal weight a lot of thought lately. Everyone's goals are so different. Some people have the goal of not having to ask for a seat belt extension, others have a definite weight they want to get to.

I've decided that I want to lose a total of 100 pounds by the time the FDA trial (that I'm a part of for the Swedish Band) is over as of 10/15/06. I lost 50 pounds the first year, and have a goal of 25 this year and next year for my goal. It hardly seems like 25 pounds in a year is a lofty goal, but I'm a slow loser for quite a few reasons. I'm not willing to diet at all, I eat what I want without attaching any good/bad judgements to it, and I hate excercise. I have beat myself up about these things for so many years that now I refuse to even think about it anymore. I move my body in ways that I enjoy- gardening, hiking, yoga, walking my dogs. There have been times since I was banded that I was obsessed with food- just like before I was banded. I have learned that all I need is a good fill and those thoughts go away- magically. I no longer am tormented by being good or bad, eating anything and everything in my path.

I wouldn't have known that this would happen when I started my banding journey, so how could I know that this is actually a goal that greatly affects my quality of life- and not some number on a scale I can't really control?

So, goals are very individual things. Not your doctor or your friends or family or some weight chart will tell you when you are a success. I think the day you decide to take control of your weight by having this type of surgery you are already a success.

Megan

Thanks everyone....I knew I could count on you guys to "open up my eyes". I was a tad surprise at the surgeon's assistant who I dealt with. After she looked at the chart and wrote down 150 she next got out her calulator and proceed to tell me that I had 182.5 pounds to loss and just stared at me. I liked the surgeon, but this assistant was kind of odd. Oh well....the surgeon is the guy with the knife!

I feel so much better after reading your responses....and I had told myself everything you guys had said, but that assistant just kind of through me off. BUT, I am back on track now!!!!!!!! And, yes, thank you Alexandra, I have decided not to call it "goal" weight instead I will call it my "comfort zone". As I will be much more comfortable between 170 - 190 pounds.

You guys rock....thanks again.

Margo