Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kareyquilts, Mimin, Ghost & BJean The Final Push

Greetings: Mimin, Ghost, BJean and I (Kareyquilts) are all September 2006 bandsters. We are all around 20 pounds to goal and we want to get there as close to our 2nd band anniversary as possible! Thus, the new thread. We are putting out to the universerve and you that we want to lose that last little bit that has been tripping all of us up for a while now! We would love your support, suggestions and help. I believe that all of us (not sure about BJean) have had some plastic surgery to get rid of excess skin, etc. We are of various ages and stages, but through it all we have supported one another. In fact, of all the September bandsters that started with us, in our thread, we are the last ones to keep up the chatter. I guess we will all state how we're going to try and lose the last 20 pounds. The challenge starts on July 1st. Hope you'll join us for the ride!:)

HI all! Today is the day! I am still quite swollen after my last dance with my surgeon but I am here and ready to lose this last bit!

Before my last surgery (June 20th) I weighed 172lbs, TODAY I weighed in at 193lbs so that is what I am starting with :smile2:

Mimin: Sounds like you've got some serious swelling going on! Glad you're still on board.

Well I went to a special diet center and decided to do the HCG diet for my last 20 pounds. The doctor said I was a good candidate. I gave myself my first injection today. For the first two days you fat load and then the third day starts a 500 calorie a day diet. Supposedly the HCG ( a pregnancy hormone) decreases your appetite and gives you a sense of well being. In a thirty day course most women average 20-22 pounds off and men lose 30 pounds. We will see. I'm hopeful and skeptical at the same time. Of course I will give you all the scoop on how I feel and do.

Ghost and BJean, how are you doing?

I am around 20 lbs from goal and would like to join your thread. I have been having a devil of a time with restriction. Too little, too much, etc. I have a very fickle band.

Right now I am really struggling with the right fill level. I am one of those that can't get enough fills and unfills. I was at 3.2 and I had trouble getting in liquids and then I had problems with solids . He took me down to 3.15 and I started to gain weight so now I am up at 3.08 and starving. I am not sure what is going on with my band. I think I'll order a barium swallow when I see him next week. I don't mind eating a softer diet but the hard to take in liquids really scared me. It took me like 30 minutes to drink a small glass of Water. He said that sometimes the stomach lining thickens around the band and it can make you tighter. As far as exercise goes, I do realize that I need to do more of that. My plan is to join a local gym with a friend of mine. They have a 30 minute circuit which my sister, who works there, swears by. Wish me luck. I am really struggling with these restriction issues.

Oh my Karey, it's terrible. I am sooo swollen and I have cankles! It is very uncomfortable. I have tried just about everything. My Dr wont give me a diuretic and over the counter isn't doing a thing. I have steadily shown a 2lb gain each morning. I should stay off the scale but it just amazes me that I had approx 8lbs removed yet I am showing a 21lb gain from day of surgery. I am looking forward to learn more about the HCG diet, it sounds interesting. Is it spendy?

Julie: welcome and thanks for joining us! I too have a very fickle band and have been for more fills/unfills than I can count. It is so frustrating!

Good luck to all of you. Julie I feel you on the whole restriction issue. I had to have a total unfill because the over restriction combined with my need to increase calories for marathon training was killing me. As I lost weight I actually had to have less and less of a fill. It makes sense if the stomach lining thickens. I guess that is a good thing in the fact that erosion won't happen as easily.

Good luck to all of you.

Julie: I've had the same fill level for quite a while and sometimes it feels too tight and sometimes not tight enough. I think that you just have to watch what you eat and hope that the band cooperates. It's a great tool sometimes and sometimes we have to be our own tool. I have found that exercise is my most constant weight loss ally.

Mimin: Your weight gain does not sound healthy. Is that common with Lipo? I thought most of my swelling was from the tt, but maybe the lipo was more of it than I thought. But girl, that is a lot of Water weight! I think that Ghost had a similar problem. Why can't you use a diuretic? How about just drinking a lot of water with lemon in it or some naturally dieretic tea? When you get that water weight off you're going to show an awesome weight loss! Anyway, I think I would park myself at my doctors till he did something!

The HCG diet is expensive (of course). The 40 day supply of the hormone was $210. The doctor's office over seeing the process for 45 days is about $525. It's kind of a rip off, but I'm willing. Let me be the guinea pig, while you recover, and let you now if it's worth it or not!

Hi ya'll. I've been needing to lose 20 lbs. for months. I apologize for not having an informative ticker, but I'm a doofus.

I will tell you that I'm down to 175 and I want to be at 155 really bad. After that, I will tackle another 10 or so, but if I can just get down to 155, it will restore my confidence.

I have had a devil of a time with restriction too. I am due to see the doc this week again. Sometimes just the activity of removing the liquid and replacing it, even with just a tiny bit added, does a whole lot for me. I haven't had a fill in a couple of months. I've found that I shouldn't go that long without having it checked.

julie you haven't been on an airplane have you?

To get the weight off, I plan to get back on the recumbent bike, do Water aerobics, and my free weight upper body routine. I have to be very careful or I overdo it and then I lose a week trying to get my knees working again. There's a fine balance I'm still trying to figure out in the exercise department. I also plan to have more salads - I can't eat much salad and it is so filling that I can lose weight that way. Also, true confession time: I have been allowing myself to occasionally share a dessert with DH when we're out. We had completely stopped that but have started talking ourselves into it again. That's over and done with!

Good luck to all of you. Let's git 'er done!! It's gonna be a great feeling when we lose this sack o' lard!

BJean

Good luck to all of you. Getting the last few pounds off is the hardest part. It sounds like you all are determined and have rededicated yourselves to the cause, so I know you'll do great.

Karey, your plan sounds very interesting. I'll be anxious to hear how it works for you. Please share all the details. Becky

Walked 3 miles today. Will go to pilates this afternoon. Today is my last day to fat load (yes you heard me right). Will have some ice cream. Gave myself another HCG injection. Tomorrow, I start the 500 calories a day for the next 30 days. UGG! More on than later!

Ghost are you out there?

Wow Becky, you're an inspiration! Way to go. I'd love to weigh what you weigh. Can you share how you did it? If you've already told your story and I missed it, I apologize.

karey: you're doing it?! I hadn't read that you made the decision. I would love the details too. And how did you find your doctor? What do the 500 calories a day consist of? You sound like an ice cream freak like me. A day without ice cream for me is a day to be proud of! It's as important to my success as exercising is, I think. At least for the time being. Someday I WILL be able to have one scoop and feel satisfied!

Hi BJBean, I flew after my slight unfill to Hawaii. I've been back for over 2 weeks. I just think I need a slight fill or maybe I lost part of my fill. I'll know next Thursday.

Good Luck Ladies,

You have all done so terrific!!! I know that you all want to lose that last 20 pounds, and I wish you all the best, but I have to put in a plug for how well you have done so far :thumbup:

I am so proud of you all - to know that you have all lost most of your excess weight and kept it off for almost 2 years now. That is AWESOME !!!!!

One of my "secret" fears is that I will lose so much weight, and then I will let old habits sneak back in and the weight will come back on. It is inspiring to see your journey continue and to see how determined you all are.

I will be following this thread - if there is anything I can do to help - let me know!!!

Jacquie