Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

Would you do it again-No! I was banded on May 23rd and have nothing but problems since it was done. I thought I really wanted this band but after complications, I'm not sure that I did. My dr. had me take Plavix up to my surgery date so not to have problems with my heart. The surgery went fine and proceeded to go downhill. I was planning on returning to work on May 27th and instead found myself being admitted to the hospital with anemia and dehydration. I developed bleeding under the skin and through one of my incisions. I called them but didn't explain myself well enough and I'm an RN. I truly thought my bruising was normal. I had a blood transfusion and lots of IV's. They drew blood off my port site. I am so depressed and weak. I cry at the drop of a hat. I couldnt even get out of bed without help the first 2 days and I thought I was being a whimp. My bruising will probably there for a couple of months and the dr. stated he want be able to do a fill until it is completely clear. I know it could have been worse and I am thankful to God that it wasn't. I just was not prepared for this. My surgeon's office assures me that I will not regret this in 6 months. Thanks for letting me talk.

I had the lapband surgery in December 2005. I've had a few problems but they are behind me and I would do it again. I have lost 95 pounds; gone from a size 22-24 to a size 12. It changed my life! Hang in there - it will get better.

My first month was a mess, I couldn't get anything down for a week after the surgery, and had complications right from the start. Had a bad reaction to the morphine, was dry heaving for hours after the surgery, had a reaction to the latex, had to go back to the hospital 2 days after my release, had lymph node draining issues, developed a nasty rash across my midsection, had to go back to the hospital again, couldn't lift anything, couldn't roll over in bed, couldn't get comfortable. Was taking massive pain killers, was beat during the day, drugged at night to sleep.

It took me a solid month to get back to some normalcy.

Now, just 5 months out, things have calmed down, and I can honestly say, I would do it all again. I am so happy with how the band is working for me.

Hang in there, trust your doctor. You will see that this was for you.

WOW! I'm sooooo sorry for what you're going through and pray that your health stabalizes and you have no more complications. You had this surgery for a reason. Your course just had some detours but try not to have regrets. I'm certain things will get better and I look forward to hearing your thoughts a year from now. Best wishes to you.

I just had surgery to remove my port due to infectionion. I am home with 3 weeks of IV antibiotics and a wound vac for the open incision. I was banded 4/11. Even now I would do it again. I have lost 30 #'s already and I am not having any trouble sticking to the eating program even though I have not had a fill yet and obviously won't for some time now with the removal of the port. I feel better then I have in years and have much more energy. Believe me being 330#'s and having major surgery is not picnic and at least I know that at some point I will be healthier inspite of all the problems. Good luck to all of you and I hope you find that even with the difficulties it was worth it.

I too am sorry for the complications you all are having, I had my banding 11-22-2004, I have lost 102 pounds so far and still have room for more fill. I had minor issues, at first I had air in my band that we had to play with to get it out, and now I am having some reflux issues, which they are actually thinking was caused from month of antinflammotories and pain meds. Other then my port still being just a touch irriatable when pressed on, everything at went awesome and I have lost 102 pounds that I would have NEVER been able to do with out it, oh and NO medications of any kind now either is needed. So would I do it again?? The answer is YES YES YES!!! in the end I have lost almost a whole person. Hang in there I feel you too will change your minds if you feel now that you wouldn't do it again!!!

I KNOW that when your health is back on track you will be very happy you did it. I pray for both of you and for all of us. What a struggle! The only complication I had since being banded (surgery 10/3/07 - 55 pounds lost) was last week. The doctor "overfilled me" and I'm having a hard time eating even small amounts. But I'll be darned if I'm telling him. I've lost 6 pounds already this week so I'll live with it for awhile, lol. Making the decision to have the surgery has been the best decision of my life. Cholesterol down 55 points with no meds and I am no longer Type II diabetic. Lookin' good too, woooohoooo. Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.

I hate hearing what others have gone through, but I too am having problems dealing with my "NEW" Band. I was Banded on 06/09/08. I was informed that during the surgery I had excessive bleeding and almost required a blood transfusion. I had bad pains in my left shoulder and chest/stomach area. They kept me over night, when it was to be an out patient procedure. Due to the loss of blood low BP and Pains.

I am 5 days post surgery and I have a terrible sore/dry throat, left shoulder pain, extreme pain when belching, I feel bloated all the time, minus any vomiting. I also can not concentrate for anything, I am so restless, cannot get comfortable and seem so nervous. IS THIS NORMAL? I can not sleep nor can I sit still for more then 5 minutes.

I do not go back to see my Surgeon till the 24th of this month? Should I be worried or are these issues normal?

Any help understanding my problems would be greatly appreciated.:confused2:

I would do it over again. I had surgery Sept 2004 and immediately started to have problems. I had lots of pain and my bladder fell asleep so I had to have a catheter in place overnight. I was in so much pain that I wanted it out and they told me to be patient and it would get better. It did. I am now very glad I got it and would do it again. Give it some time.

I had surgery September 2007 and I am doen about 45-50 pounds and I started out bad too and just hang in there. I was very upset to think why did I do this if I am not able to eat anything at all? I hung in there and all my problem was that they were filling too much and when I went back in I only had them fill me 1/2 cc and I am doing much much better. I want to let you know to hang in there and things will get better. :):thumbup::sad:

Baabs, I don't think you should wait until your dr's. appt. I think you should give your dr. a call to make sure everything is OK. It is better to be safe than sorry. I had all my problems after my surgery when I was home. I thought I was being whiny and in fact I needed to be seen. Thank goodness, my office saw me and tended to my problems. Good Luck! Let me know what happens. awebs

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am feeling much better today. I Started looking at the medication my surgeon placed me on post-surgery and realized the medication that was to help with nausea and vomiting had been known to cause problems with restlessness and trouble sleeping. Once I stopped taking this, I was able to get comfortable and concentrate better. The medication is Prochlorperazin Tab 10 MG. Has anyone else experienced these side effects with this medicine? What are others using for Nausea and Vomiting. Luckly I have not had much problems with either but heard it is not uncommon. Funny thing about this medication is that it stated that it is commonly used to treat Schizophrenia........ I guess if you dont have it, it makes you feel like you do!

I believe my bloated feeling has been due to trying to take in too much liquids at one time. I have spaced out my meals and gone to 4-5 small ones, instead of 3-4 medium sized meals. (if you call a Protein drink a meal! LOL). So with time, It seems my problems are resolving.

I still find it hard to lay on my side and have not even tried my stomach, still dealing with the pain that comes along with belching and an increase in my gas, due to the Protein powder I think, but I am loving not being hungry!

Right now I am in pain and burping away because I had to take 5 pills (regular meds/vitamins). I often forget to eat slowly and suffer for it. But yes, I WOULD DO IT ALL AGAIN IN A MINUTE!

I just wanted to stop in and offer my support and prayers for a speedy recovery. I haven't been banded yet, but currently working on the process...I for one appreciate you folks posting about issues you're having so us "newbies" know what to look for.

Best of luck to each of you.