Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All

I am 33years old and sadly weigh 262lbs

I have yoyo'd my entire adult life

i have tried everything from pills to hypnosis

Lapband sounds like the tool i need to make a permanent change

It is just soooo much money

(I am from ontario Canada i have to pay myself $16,000)

I would like a push off teh fence

Could you ladies and gents please tell me of your experiences and how you made the decision and if it has been worth it

I am seriously wanting to jump in with both feet

Thanks in advance

Tammy

I think the yo-yoing is what has pushed me over the edge.

I'm tired of losing and having discipline and getting new clothes and feeling good about everything...and then slowly gaining it back.

No matter how hard I fight, the food always wins. I'm looking forward to having the band as something to help me fight and win.

If you're self pay, you might want to look into the options in Mexico.

If you do not have insurance to cover, there are many places to have this done. I know Mexico is a bit far and I would think a little scary, but there is a lady in Cincy that is cheaper than that. Just ask around on here, tons of self pay's under 10 grand. Most say they would do it again in a heartbeat.

Missmaven- I am also 33 years old at started at the same weight, are you my long lost twin:)

I had my LB surgery Dec 12, 2007. I felt the same way you did, but getting the band won out because I didn't like who I had become. My current weight is 226 - I am happier, heathier, and actually want to put on a pair of shorts this summer:)

Good luck in you decision making - I think you will find the answer within.

Tammy,

I was self pay also, I chose not to jump through the hoops of my insurance and wait for 9 month. I paid 16500.for my band. I am 45 years old and could not emotionally start another "diet". I had high blood pressure at 5 foot and 286 pounds. My mother has had diabeties for 4 or 5 years, older brother had it for 3 years, and my dad was diagnosed with it last year. When my dad was diagnosed, I knew I had to do something. I work in the medical field and I see first had what diabeties CAN do. Even with all the meds and taking very good care of yourself, it can be devistating.

I had heard about the lap band about 6 years ago, and checked into it at that point. It was to new and was quickly discouraged. Last year when my dad was diagnosed, I started looking into it. I went to two different doctors and chose THE BEST ONE!!!! He is great.

I started my Journey in Jan of 07, fully intending to do the insurance thing. I quickly changed my mind. After going to the seminar "June 07" with the Dr I chose, I knew I had to do this no matter what the cost.

I was so torn on what to do and how to get the money. When you have something you want so bad,,, you get creative. I used half savings and the other half I put on a charge card with 3.9% until paid off.

I was scheduled in Aug of 07 for my surg, and the day before my surgery they canceled it because of my high Calcium levels. I ended up having Hyperparathyroid disease, and had to have a parathyroid taken out "nov 07".

I finally had my surg jan 3rd of 08. Would I do it all again? You bet I would. It takes a life change and a positive attitude. My thought was.... what good is that money if I dont have my health. This will be my LAST weight loss effort. I will not have to do it again. I can not tell you how many times I have lost,, and gained it back plus more.

I can only say it was right for me. I still have a long way to go, but I am going to make it. I feel sooooo much better, my blood pressure is down, my risk of diabites is down. CANT PUT A PRICE ON THAT. All of this is just the Health aspects, emotionally I am getting more confident and dont feel like the "failure". My whole life has been as a full figure woman, with all the emotional baggage that carried for ME.

Best of Luck in your decision, if there is anything you need to know or want to chat. please let me know.

Lois

THANK YOU for teh quick and insightful responses!!!!

I have another questions

I am an emotional/boredom/food addict

how have yous dealt with "head" issues

I am thinking about joing overeaters anonymous??

any suggestions???

Tammy

I was banded July 06 ~ and have suffered my entire life with emotional and compulsive eating. The band as a tool is great to help with my portion sizes, however it is a decision i have to make to eat the right foods. So, OA or any other support group, or counseling is a great thing to help you if you want to figure out WHY you have the eating behaviors you do and to help overcome them. Good luck to you...you must find the strength within to battle this lifestyle. You CAN DO IT!!!