Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concern with my lower legs

I'm very happy with the way things have been going with my weight loss. My lower legs, however, are concerning me.

My calves and ankles are always "full" of edema (swelling) no matter what. Sometimes it will loosen up if I have zero sodium and nearly drown myself with Water, the skin will relax and not look like a full balloon. Then, the skin sags, but I feel like my legs are relieved. I could care less if the skin sags, it's very minor. I can't seem to keep it under control.

The skin too is mottled and pale, like I'm not getting enough circulation there.

Since I am always cold, no matter what, since my band surgery, I have been doing lots of Yoga to help increase my circulation, but it isn't getting better.

I have no ankles to speak of. I don't wear skirts or shorts - ever.

I still have 38 lbs to go. I'm hoping that this will be part of the last round up of fat. But I have to say, I am bummed about what's goin' on.

I will live with it if I have to, because my legs have - literally - supported me in the worst of times and the best of times. They've done a fabulous job. My thighs aren't too shabby either. The calves and ankles are just not pretty, not exactly normal, but not horrible either. I don't even think I'd want surgical intervention.

Anyone have any ideas or wisdom to impart on this?

Wish I could wear cute little executive girly skirt suits.

I don't know the cure - wish I did. I have found that support socks or ankle supports are great to relieve the symptoms. Are you exercising? I have started walking regularly and I believe it has helped my circulation and has helped with the swelling around the ankles. I always hoped I would not have cankles because I did not like the way they looked but what I did not know was how much they hurt.

Hi brown bear - I'm not doing any walking because I had back surgery 8 years ago, degenerative disc - very unstable lower spine. When I do walk for like 1/2 hour, I wake up with an aching back and sciatica. My exercise is Yoga, Fluidity, and the elliptical for cardio. Which I haven't done in ages, maybe I should start that back up.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll add in 30 mins of cardio a couple times of week and see if that helps :)

I'd suggest you talk to your PCP about these symptoms. If it would happen to be lymphedema, the sooner you seek treatment the better. Just thought I'd mention it.

Kate Eryn:

Some people just have heavy ankles. I'm 5'7", used to be 5'8" and even when I weighed 127 pounds (in my 20's) I had heavy ankles. Unfortunately, I passed this trait onto my daughter. She's almost 21 years old and she has heavy calves and ankles. My legs and ankles didn't hurt until I put an extra 100 to 160 pounds on them. Yipes!

I hope you find relief for your pain.

Sue

Edited by Sue Magoo
spelling

Kate-

Have you tried wearing medical grade hosiery? I mean, they're anything but sexy, but if they help, they'd be worth it. I know they're not cheap, but if you have a FSA plan, they're covered under that.

I would also absolutely talk to your PCP about it, and possibly try a course of Lasix to see if that might help. You might also want to have your thyroid levels checked just for the hell of it to make sure that all is good in hormone land. That might also explain (obviously other than the 100+lb loss) why you're always cold.

Are you also experiencing any pins/needles-type sensations in your ankles or feet? Is it affecting your range of motion? Those sorts of things may have to be addressed with a foot/ankle doctor. I know it sounds like overkill, but after having two consecutive ankle surgeries, I have come to love my foot doctor. They really are much better versed in this sort of thing than GPs and do actually deal with more than just ingrown toenails. :confused_smile:

(oh, and I'm totally jealous of your thighs, btw)

-m

I'd suggest you talk to your PCP about these symptoms. If it would happen to be lymphedema, the sooner you seek treatment the better. Just thought I'd mention it.

I have a physical next week and I'll bring it up again. I've mentioned it before, and my doc, a sweet lady, kind of treats me like a hypochondriac, which I'm not. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I read everything I can get my hands on and I watch a lot of mystery diagnosis. I never want things to progress because someone was sleeping on the job.

I've asked them twice to check my thryroid levels. They appear fine. I was satisfied with that until I found two more pieces of information:

1. The US is notorious for undertreating sluggish thyroids; in Europe, if there's even a tiny fluctuation they treat it

2. According to the doctor who researches and creates the blood type diet, my blood type (A+..also his) is prone to showing normal hormone levels when there IS in fact a problem with endocrine function. I may email him and ask.

I'm not going to get hysterical or rabid about it, but there HAS to be an answer. I just don't think the legs look normal, you know? The skin color especially. I'll keep pecking away at that, my weight, and exercising my legs and see what happens.

Kate Eryn:

Some people just have heavy ankles. I'm 5'7", used to be 5'8" and even when I weighed 127 pounds (in my 20's) I had heavy ankles. Unfortunately, I passed this trait onto my daughter. She's almost 21 years old and she has heavy calves and ankles. My legs and ankles didn't hurt until I put an extra 100 to 160 pounds on them. Yipes!

I hope you find relief for your pain.

Sue

I can buy this - and will buy it! My sister and I have these larger lower legs. The thighs are normal and even thin, but she is not overweight and has the same big ankles :tt1: Dammit!! My mother and aunts all have these teensy little feminine calves. /pout

Kate-

Have you tried wearing medical grade hosiery? I mean, they're anything but sexy, but if they help, they'd be worth it. I know they're not cheap, but if you have a FSA plan, they're covered under that.

I would also absolutely talk to your PCP about it, and possibly try a course of Lasix to see if that might help. You might also want to have your thyroid levels checked just for the hell of it to make sure that all is good in hormone land. That might also explain (obviously other than the 100+lb loss) why you're always cold.

Are you also experiencing any pins/needles-type sensations in your ankles or feet? Is it affecting your range of motion? Those sorts of things may have to be addressed with a foot/ankle doctor. I know it sounds like overkill, but after having two consecutive ankle surgeries, I have come to love my foot doctor. They really are much better versed in this sort of thing than GPs and do actually deal with more than just ingrown toenails. :confused_smile:

(oh, and I'm totally jealous of your thighs, btw)

-m

Welp, when I do wear knee high hosiery that's tight, I do feel relief. There's loose skin on my thighs so it looks like it's killing my circulation, lol, but it's not. Definitely has to be some of this extra weight.

I'm glad you mentioned a foot doc. I have been thinking about going to one just to get my feets check out...maybe he can give me some insight. Thanks Marisa!

I was going to ask about a Water pill too

I retain Water like whoa. I'm also ridiculously and constantly constipated. Hm. Wonder if it's all related. I'll start adding some flaxseed powder to applesauce and do some Activia for a few weeks and see if that helps.

Thanks ladies :tt1:

I had this problem also. It's gotten a lot better, but it was really really scary for a while.

Swimming seems to help alot. bouncing around the pool. It seems to work the best to me, when I get out of the pool, even before I lost some weight, my legs would be much less swollen.

Also my Dr. prescribed a Water pill...but that only worked for a few weeks, and I didn't like taking it. My Dr. also suggested the medical hose, the kind that go to the knees. She said the ones that go to the hip are miserable. I can't tell you how these worked I didn't try them.

The best thing I did was go to my Local "Relax the back" and bought a leg wedge. It is made to prop your legs up to let the Fluid drain out of them. IT was about 50 bucks, but you can sleep with it (if your not a fussy sleeper like me) , prop up your legs while watching tv, etc.

Also, do you work sitting down? IF so Your chair might be contributing. I changed from a cheap chair to one that is cushier and more supportive and my legs swell much less dramatically now. Also, make sure that when you are sitting for a extended peroid of time that both feet are on the ground to take some of the pressure off so the legs can get some circulation.

This is my experience. We might not have the same problem, but these things helped me alot. I actually have legs that are recognizable as legs now.

Edited by ReadySteadyGo
added the bit about the hose

I have Lymphedema in my lower legs and had Thyroid cancer. The 2 are very much related as well as being overweight for so long. You can take Lasix till the cows come home and it wont help if it is Lymphedema- You need to see your PCP and ask for a referral to a vascular sugeon- Although there is no cure- it can be controlled.

GOod luck- it isnt fun :angry:

That definitely sounds circulatory.

Not that that needs to be serious, many people are prone to poor venous return and varicose veins and such. Unfortunately there are normal variations in our bodies that lead to things like some people having more attractive lower legs than others. Myself, I tend to get those spider veins, hate em and they dont stay on my legs. My mother has hundreds so I'm treating mine early.

Anything you could do to improve circulation is likely going to help.

Chronic pedal edema will eventually cause your tissues to become waterlogged and break down. Your tendons, ligaments and nerves will start to break down on you if it is truly edema and unchecked.

I have heart failure and have had to deal with edema. Mine comes on when I rest, which is opposite of most people whos is worse at the end of the day.

When it first started breaking down the nerves in my feet, it was really painful. I could step into a tub of warm Water and it felt boiling, like me feet were on fire. Now my feet are mostly numb, which leads to walking difficulty.

You need to really stress to your doctor this issue.

Edema, pedal edema and Lymphedema are 3 distinct DIFFERENT conditions. All with various levels of severity- If u have swelling of any nature- you should talk to your physicians. I was treated for years for edema which actually was Lymphedema and had it been recognized sooner I wouldnt be having such problems now.

For years I have had swelling in my legs and ankles. I have a desk job and thought it was weight related.

I went to my PCP a couple of weeks ago, because I thought I might have varicose veins, but she saw no varicosity.

She says it's edema. There are places on my legs that are sore, and itchy, though that has improved a little.

I bought some support hose at Right Aid. A friend recommended a medical supply place not far from me where they measure your legs, I suppose, for the best fit.

I put my feet up when I can, and I think there is an improvement, but there is still soreness.

What I'd like to know is if edema affects weight loss. Can it cause you to gain, or make it hard to take it off?

Debbie

I have been told that weight does effect edema; especially if you are mostly sedentary. I too have a desk job but make it a point every hour to get up and walk around a litle bit.

Did your PCP give you a diuretic? Refer you to a vascular surgeon?? I am only asking this because I feel strongly that Lymphedema is very common in overweight people and it tends to go undiagnosed. If I were you I would research it and then talk to your PCP and ask for a referral.

I think the stockings are a good start but if it is Lymphedema there are othe treatment options available.