Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doubts?? Nerves?? Help!!!

Hey fellow May bansters! I just started the Optifast liquid diet yesterday and I am finding it extremely hard to stick to it. I have to be on it 10 days and I am wondering if I can make it. I have also begun to have an array of doubts. I am wondering if I find the pre-op diet to be so hard, how will I survive post-op. I am also beginning to wonder if I am making the right decision by having the surgery. Anyone else having these doubts? I am hoping that it is just nerves b/c I am getting so close to my surgery date.

No worries, I'm having tons of doubts and fears, I think its only natural! I'm only 20 and I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to spend the reast of my life feeling akward at parties and such when I can't have a piece of pizza or other types of foods that aren't well handled by the lap band. I sometimes feel like this is so drastic, but at the same time, I know that I can't do this alone, and I really don't want to spent the rest of my life miserable and obese...

I went throught the exact same thing during my Optifast diet. I really did want to stop sometimes - and somtimes cheated a bit. But please know that the feelings will change as time passes. Don'd be hard on yourself. Now is the time to really take care of yourself emotionally.

Thanks for your support girls! I am feeling better today. I guess we can expect to be on kind of an emotional roller coaster with the major life style changes we are about to make.:)

hey crystal,

I too am flip floping around...sometimes i'm really excited, and other times i'm wondering what the hell i'm doing. but, like someome said i do think its all a part of the process. i think this is normal. and alison, being close in age to you, i too wonder about the same things. will i still be able to go out and "blend in" so to speak. how will things be a year down the road? how will this affect my future relationships? but, none of us would be here if we didn't feel this was our last option for a healthy and wonderful new life! so full speed ahead i say and lets dive into the deep end!

I can give you a tip for when y'all go out and want to blend in...

For about a year in college I went through a "zero drinking" phase. (Too bad that didn't last!) Anyway, I used to order Water with a slice of lemon in it and asked them to put it in a cocktail glass. (Back then it was because everyone would bug me to get a drink. UGH!) It'd help you feel more like you're blending into the crowd. As for when you're going to dinner, just order some grilled chicken or fish and veggies.:biggrin2:

Doubts, fears, uncertainties? Sure.............I'm 48 hours away and am having all those thoughts, but know deep down that I want this and can do it. I think it's just like any other major life decision........sometimes you just gotta jump off and build your wings on the way down! (or up??) HA

Hey JustMel - I love your phrase about "jumping off a building and building your wings on the way down"!! That's great! :)

Only 48 hours to go? Good luck, let us know how you do!

By the way, can anyone tell me the difference between a "New Reply" and a "Quick Reply"? Still catching on to this posting thing! :confused2:

Thanks!

Terri

The main difference is that new reply has all the little smilies and quick reply doesn't.

Hey JustMel - I love your phrase about "jumping off a building and building your wings on the way down"!! That's great! :rolleyes:

Only 48 hours to go? Good luck, let us know how you do!

By the way, can anyone tell me the difference between a "New Reply" and a "Quick Reply"? Still catching on to this posting thing! :confused2:

Thanks!

Terri

LOL! It's not original..............think I heard it on some movie.....can't remember what.

had my last MD visit yesterday...........

this time tomorrow, I will be "under the influence" with not a care in the world-LOL YIPEE

Hey fellow May bansters! I just started the Optifast liquid diet yesterday and I am finding it extremely hard to stick to it. I have to be on it 10 days and I am wondering if I can make it. I have also begun to have an array of doubts. I am wondering if I find the pre-op diet to be so hard, how will I survive post-op. I am also beginning to wonder if I am making the right decision by having the surgery. Anyone else having these doubts? I am hoping that it is just nerves b/c I am getting so close to my surgery date.

I was not on a pre-op diet and everything went very smoothly. I wouldn't stress out if you feel like eating a little something while you are on the pre-op diet. The main purpose is the shrink the liver. Just stay away from foods that are high in carbs & fat.

I am finding it difficult to not be able to snack like I used to. I think maybe the pre-op diet starts training you to lay off the snacking. Once you are banded, you will not be able to snack. Period!!

The surgery was a snap and my recovery is almost too good to be true!!!

Before you know it, you too will be in bandster land!!!:rolleyes:

No worries, I'm having tons of doubts and fears, I think its only natural! I'm only 20 and I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to spend the reast of my life feeling akward at parties and such when I can't have a piece of pizza or other types of foods that aren't well handled by the lap band. I sometimes feel like this is so drastic, but at the same time, I know that I can't do this alone, and I really don't want to spent the rest of my life miserable and obese...

Allison: Just like anything, you will learn to live with your band. If you are getting banded for health reasons, then you should be happy about your decision. I am only 5 days out from surgery and already my blood sugar has returned to normal!!!

Stay positive. You may be able to have that pizza if you learn how to chew it real good. Maybe take some cheese off. The key is that you will eat 1 slice and be satisfied as opposed to 3 or 4 slices.

I know that it will be a slow transition to eating all foods again, but I am confident that I will be able to enjoy almost everything again in moderation!!!:rolleyes:

Hello All-

I think there are physical reasons for the diet, but I am finding that there are other reasons as well. At first, it was really hard not to eat whatever I wanted, then that got easier, then it was really hard to be hungry and that got easier and now it is pretty simple all around. I feel like this pre diet is so that we can get focused and start understanding what it will be like post-op. I think it would be really hard to go from my old eating habits right into sugery or only a day or two of liquids. I bought slim fast high Protein at BJs by the case - a much better deal and I think we will always need to go back to these if there is irritation or after a fill and such.

Although, I am one to talk as yesterday was my birthday and we went out for steak - a favorite food that I hear is difficult to eat post banding!

Good luck to us all!

Hey JustMel - how are you doing after surgery?

It is great to hear about all of the May bandsters progress. It makes waiting for May 22nd a little bit easier and not quite so nerve wracking. My biggest problem is the anticipation!

I am currently doing Lindora - and they have Protein shakes and products. Does anybody know if these can be used?

Terri