Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I joined a beginner belly dancing class

It's been an interest of mine for several months. I had heard that it's good exercise and I need some additional work on my stomach and back areas. Plus, it's supposed to be fun. I wanted something new to try in addition to Curves. I had been in search of a class in my area (Richmond, VA) for quite a while with no luck. Last week finally stumbled across one and new class was starting Tuesday, April 22. After i found one, I became scared with all the self-doubt. But I did not let my fears of something new get the best of me. I went & had a great time. There are 10 of us in the class. All different ages, sizes, back grounds. Everyone was cool. The teacher seems great. I am looking forward to going back. It is every Tuesday for an hour for 6 weeks. It cost me $45 but I think it will be worth it. You can also buy tapes of the music so can practice at home. And boy did I get a workout!! This was the first night so it was basically getting used to one another and she took us through a few individual movements along with warm up and cool down exercises. I was so sore the next day. Could definitely feel it. Moreso than when i first started Curves. We were forwarned by a lady, who had taken the class before, that would be sore but I kinda dismissed it. Figured it couldn't be that bad. We were sweating. I def got a good workout. Looking forward to going back.

I've been looking around me for the same type of classes. I've been interested for a long time. I think it would a fun way to workout....Lord knows you have to make it fun for me to do it. I live in the Oklahoma City area. I've found a few classes in my area but just like you I'm nervous about going. I have this fear I'll be the biggest one in the class!!! :w00t: I've told myself when I get to a certain weight...I would reward myself with taking a class. I'd be curious to see what you learn and how your class goes. Keep us up to date.

Amie

Amie...

That's what I did...

there is a studio in my city, and I took the first belly dancing class they offered...I had so much fun, that I promised myself that if I got under 200lbs, I would sign up for a membership (as an adjunct to my gym workouts)....well, I made it!!!

The studio offers all kinds of "exotic" and sensual classes....LOVE IT!!!

And yes, I was sweating and sore!!!

I was just talking to someone about wanting to do both belly-dancing and hula-dancing.

I want to find a class. it sounds like fun

Since you've had your surgery how has your ab strength been? Are you able to workout your abs and see your stomach go down? Or has your stomach become a problem area since having the surgery, and having the surgeon cut through the abdominal muscles? I am really concerned that I will not be able to tone my stomach, and I want to avoid a tummy tuck! Any advice would be appreciated!

I dont have any problems with my abb strength.

I dont think they CUT your abdominal muscles. They attach your port to you stomach muscles but they dont cut them.

They cut thru the fat to get to them.

I havent had any problems. I have lost 11 inches in my abdominal area in 5 months.

Hey everyone. Tonight is session 4 for me. Hard to believe it has already been 4 weeks.So far things are going well and having alot of fun. There are 13 of us in the class; all ages, shapes and sizes. I'm glad I joined. In my class, we are working on basic things such as isolating upper (shoulder and chest) and lower (waist and hip) muscles and she throws in a few basic steps. The class meets only one day a week for six weeks so not expected to be an expert in that short time span. I'm rather uncoordinated and feel as if I'm not very graceful at times (not the only one in the class that has this issue and makes it fun) but instructor says that with practice and time, that will come. She has been doing since 1997 and of course does not expect us to be able to do a routine but competitive me wants to be the expert so have to work on slowing myself down and not getting frustrated when I feel clumsy. Plus she has mirrors in the room so you get to see yourself which has actually helped since I also have issues with body awareness. This class has proven to be an eye opening experience for me. I have ordered 2 belly dancing DVD's from Overstock.com so I am awaiting them so that I can workout more at home. It is a very good workout. She starts with a warm up and ends with a cool down. At first I thought there was no way what we were doing was going to make a difference but I can really feel it and I do get tired and work up a sweat. Moreso than when I go to Curves. Looking forward to continuing and getting a routine started for home.

That is awsome! I need to see if they have a class arround here. It just sounds like so much fun

The teacher is really great and encouraging. Once this six weeks end I think I am going to repeat it. She also does an intermediate class but I'm not ready for that yet. The mirrors in the room are what we refer to as "wishful thinking" mirrors. They make everyone look waaay smaller than what they actually are. I look like a size 10 in them. Needless to say I get distracted looking at smaller me. That too is motivating although realistically I don't expect to ever get to a 10. But then again, I never expected to fit in a 16 but I do now. Anyone that is interested in belly dancing should definitely join a class if there is one in your area. I am really enjoying it. We work out consistently the whole hour and the time flies by.

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! I have been wanting to do a class for years. I went to Greece as a teenager, and was hooked from then on. My husband and I go to a Middleastern restaurant here in our city and there is always a belly dancer wiggling around the tables. I love the costumes. My husband was the one who actually suggested I try and find a class. So I guess he wouldn't think I was stupid if I did. I think I may just start looking in earnest. I found a ballroom dancing class, but he wouldn't take it with me and I didn't want to dance with strange men. Not yet anyway. I'm still a bit self conscious.

Thanks Crishell for the update.

I've been looking in my area for a class and was suprised to find more than one of them. I'm so excited. I've decided to join one either this summer or fall. I told my sister today she needed to go with me. I think she might be interested too!!! I'm going to try to talk my best friend into it too. I think it would be fun for all of us to go together. :smile2:

So what DVD's did you get?

What do you wear to class to practice in?

Is it hard to get the hips movin' the way you want? I'm sooo not graceful at times....I'd probably twist my ankle and fall over. :tongue2:

Glad to hear you're having a fun workout. Thanks for the motivation!!!

We just wear regular workout clothes. No shoes. Everyone stays in their socks or a couple of ladies have bought little slippers or the socks with the grip stuff on the bottom. I'm not very graceful and very uncoordinated so has been very interesting seeing myself in those mirrors. Very hard isolating the upper and lower body. Definitely takes a lot of pratice and for most, it does not come overnight. The instructor emphasized that on day one. I bought two DVD's off of Overstock but I'm at work right now so can't tell you their titles. Both are geared towards beginner level and had high ratings. They came in the mail yesterday but i was busy after work and didn't get chance to check them out last night. The whole experience has been very enlightening to me as I had no idea I had so little actual body awareness especially when it comes to positioning & posture. Don't know if part of it is because there is now less of me or if I never really had it because I just kinda floated along not thinking about it.

The instructor has the coin scarves that you tie around your hips. They jingle when you move. I have not bought one yet because I'm trying to work on getting a little better first.They are also a good reminder when you are working on isolating your upper body because if you hear jingling, that means something is moving too much below the waist. I'm sewing challenged but if you are good at sewing you can get your own piece of material and buy some of the coins from a fabric store or Walmart and make your own. They actually have a name but I refer to it as a hip scarf.

I've been bellydancing for about 3-4 years (honestly can't remember). For those who are saying 'I will once I lose some weight', go now!! My experience has been that bellydance studios are very female-friendly & love women of all shapes & sizes. There are women who are thinner than me & women who are larger than me & everything in-between.

So, go for it!!