Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed No Weight loss week 2

I was banded on April 8. On the 14th I had my post op appointment and nutritional counseling for the next phase of liquid diet. On the 14th I had lost 11 lbs since my 2 day pre-op diet started on 4/6. Today, still only 11 lbs down.

I'm bummed.

I have been trying to get 1000 calories of full liquids a day. Not easy when you are told to have 4 - 6 oz. and hour of strained Soups, juices, carnation instant Breakfast, yogurt smoothies and sips of Water throughout the day. I still have another week of this before I start soft/pureed food.< /p>

Am I wrong to be disappointed?

Hang in there, do not weigh everyday, I know that is hard, try once a week or even better every 2 weeks. Watch your calories and remember to walk even if only a few minutes here and there to get you started. Can't wait to hear you say the numbers on the scale are moving down!!

Alice, some of us are just "lucky." I lose weight really slowly too. My first week? Ate nothing whatsoever - used Isopure because I hate those shake-type things so much they make me retch - less than 400 calories a day - and I GAINED A POUND!!! Talk about disgusted. Hang in there though. What happens for me - and several other people I've talked to - is you lose nothing and then wake up on the odd Tuesday 3 lbs lighter. Go figure. It adds up after awhile.

Hi Alice! Eleven pounds is fantastic! It sounds like your body has gone into shock and is trying to save you from yourself! I know it's hard but it sounds like you might be having a problem with getting enough Water.

Remember, without enough Water with your daily food intake you're making cement!

Right now it's all about YOU and what you are eating. It's a fine balance.

Welcome to the other side! You can do it!

i was in the same boat 2 weeks after surgery - but your body is adjusting after having gone through so much - it will start to move again - but get used to the stalls. they continue. i just had another week stall but then the past 2 days I went down 2 lbs...it's going to be a constant up and down journey - but in the end - it will be a great success. :thumbup:

That is exactly what happened to me. I lost 12 pounds in my first week. Then nothing. And that went on for quite a while. Try not to stress out about it. I know it doesn't make sense. You should be losing with what you are being forced to eat. But you just went through pretty traumatice major surgery and your body is going through all sorts of changes. Everyone reacts diffrently. I had a really hard time dealing with that so I know how you feel. But, now that I am 6 months out from surgery I look back and it is hard to even remember that situation. The way my doctor explained it is this: In a year, you are going to weigh significantly less than before surgery. It isn't going to matter when you lost it, it will only matter that you lost it. I am a slow loser at best, even now that I have restriction, and I started out even slower. It was very traumatic and I spent a lot of time crying. But trust me, you will lose weight. Just don't give up. Do what the doctor tells you to do and I promise, you will lose! It is just on your body's own time table, not yours!

It is very normal for this to happen. I started walking a couple weeks after surgery and found that got the weight loss started. Hang in there! Your fills are coming and that is what really gives you the tool to lose the weight.:thumbup:

From April 6 to April 20 is 14 days and you've lost 11 pounds. That is over 3/4 of a pound PER DAY!

Please try not to be so disappointed, that is a great weight loss, the scale will go down again.

You're most likely feeling the effects of your old dieting attempts, where we always failed, so you're worried this will fail. It's less than 2 weeks from surgery, give it time. Your feeling is common, time will fix it!

My ticker was once at the beginning and now it's more than half way and I was worried just like you, not so much anymore!

hello jeangenie here i am the opposite of you i done well and have stopped , mind it is only a tool i stopped writing down what i eat started avine a wee glass of wine and then stopped but since i started writing down i have moved again , u will do it i know u will x

I know it sucks not to see the scale move, but it really shouldn't be the only way you judge success! I can tell you there were MANY times the scale didn't move for a month and then all of hte sudden, poof 5-8 pounds would fall off, literally overnight.

The band forces your body to change old habits, and they die hard. It will happen, give it time and don't judge yourself too hard! Good luck!

Thanks for all the encouragement. Everyone is great on this forum. I realize that I probably am not getting enough Water either, so I will try to up that more too. Its not easy when all you drink is liquids.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Everyone is great on this forum. I realize that I probably am not getting enough Water either, so I will try to up that more too. Its not easy when all you drink is liquids.

alice150 -- I wish I was losing faster too but then when I think back on my struggles over the last several years I have to admit that moving in the right direction is a heck of a lot better than moving in the wrong direction. About 20 years ago I lost 42lbs in 11 weeks from drinking 455 calories of Optifast 4 time a day. After the first significant weightloss in the first 2 weeks I lost about 3.5 a wk. They would weight me each wk and I would lose nothing 1 wk and then 3.5 the next. It was like clockwork. I remember the nurse telling me that I was losing fat out of the cells one week but cells were being filled with Fluid and that Fluid weighs more than fat. According to her the fluid retention was just the final phase the cell went through before finally giving up. She said that in the wks that I wasn't losing weight I was losing inches. She took out her measure tape and proved it to me. I find that I'm going through something like that now. I don't know if it's true but it seems to help me get through. I must say that just before I see a significant weight drop after nothing for several days -- I am up several times a night using the bathroom so I think back to what the nurse said. I also find that if I stall -- increasing Water helps. I also heard Bob Greene (Oprah's trainier) say that nothing breaks a stall better than increasing movement. I also agree with several people here to say that when our bodies have been through stress (like surg) it just goes into a bit of shock. Hang in there. You are doing very well.