Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much?

I want to ask people how much money they make when they ask me how much weight I've lost. Then I want to ask them if they plan on making more. Or better yet, I want to say, "Wow I would have never guessed you made so much!"

Then of course I want give them opinions like they shouldn't even try to make a penny more because they look so well off.

Maybe if time allows and I haven't picked up any non verbal cues to tell me to go away I'll bend their ear for a good long time about my attempts, half hearted or not, in regard to how I personally have tried to earn more and failed. Or I'll share horror stories about others I know who did the same thing but died due to a non compliance issue with their attempt to work similarly.

I suppose my point is people ask horrible questions, give unforgivable opinions, and share personal details in regard to weight that they would never ever do about personal statistics, such as income.

It's a number that certainly has impact on how we live, but it's not the beginning and the end of who we are. I'm just being cheeky, but I swear I'm going to do it. :biggrin:

A few wks back at a dinner party, a couple I don't particularly care for approached DH and myself and "loud" and in front of everyone the wife states "I didn't realize you two lost so much weight"???? **shocked / surprised & condescending sounding. I can't STAND her, and I shot back....I didn't realize you two (her and her husband) were STILL married.

She shut up & remained on the other side of the house for the night....Priceless her face:tongue:

A few wks back at a dinner party, a couple I don't particularly care for approached DH and myself and "loud" and in front of everyone the wife states "I didn't realize you two lost so much weight"???? **shocked / surprised & condescending sounding. I can't STAND her, and I shot back....I didn't realize you two (her and her husband) were STILL married.

She shut up & remained on the other side of the house for the night....Priceless her face:tongue:

Ha! Awesome!

I have to say, though, that I kinda find it to be a compliment when people tell me that they didn't realize I was THAT overweight when they find out that I've lost almost 60 pounds and have about 40 to go. It makes me feel a little better about how I used to look, if that makes sense. :biggrin:

Ha! Awesome!

I have to say, though, that I kinda find it to be a compliment when people tell me that they didn't realize I was THAT overweight when they find out that I've lost almost 60 pounds and have about 40 to go. It makes me feel a little better about how I used to look, if that makes sense. :biggrin:

Makes sense to me...I LUV compliments; Hubby on the otherhand is extremely sensitive about his weight gain / having the Lapband / and now losing weight. This woman is the same person that told us what did we do to get fat over a yr ago....So I felt the compulsion to B*&^H slap her, but I let my tongue do the wagging:tongue2:

BTW - Her husband has screwed just about every single woman in our social circle (which I'm SURE she's aware of)...reason I pegged her about her marriage...heee heee

I want to ask people how much money they make when they ask me how much weight I've lost. Then I want to ask them if they plan on making more. Or better yet, I want to say, "Wow I would have never guessed you made so much!"

Then of course I want give them opinions like they shouldn't even try to make a penny more because they look so well off.

Maybe if time allows and I haven't picked up any non verbal cues to tell me to go away I'll bend their ear for a good long time about my attempts, half hearted or not, in regard to how I personally have tried to earn more and failed. Or I'll share horror stories about others I know who did the same thing but died due to a non compliance issue with their attempt to work similarly.

Haha love it! When I was younger and fit, I was bigger breasted than all my friends and I got so sick of men talking to my chest that I got into the habit of bending over and looking men squarely at their "package" to ask them how they are too. :smile2: Needless to say, they got uncomfortable and didn't like that one bit. My firends of course would always die laughing. :rolleyes2:

Edited by jrob281
spelling error

I am kind of torn on this. I've become a spectacle since I lost so much weight, and generally I don't mind answering, although a bit emberassing because as I proudly say 102lbs, I know they're thinking "And she's still fat?". Heh.

But there's people who work in our plant, I don't think I've met before, I have no idea what their name is.. and they come up and say they don't recognize me, and ask how much I've lost. I tell them, but it does throw me off guard someone I don't even know asks me such things.

Laura

I'm with you, on the "You've lost that much and you're still that big?!" thoughts someone might be having as I tell them how much.

What irritates me are the people who just didn't want to know me as fat and are weight obsessed. I just don't want to give the satisfaction of knowing my business.

It really is an each as your own proposition. I certainly don't judge people who tell.

Been there. Here's an excerpt from a previous post:

One of the girls asked me what I meant so I told her about my surgery. She of course asked me if I could tell a difference, and I told her how much weight I had lost, and she replied:

"Wow, I had no idea you were that heavy!"

Now, wait a minute... what the heck!? What did that mean?

1. You've lost a good chunk of weight, but you still look so fat... I had no idea you were so fat that you could lose that much but still be so big.

2. You looked so good, trim and svelte that I'd have guessed you had maybe 30 or 40 pounds to lose, I had no idea you were so overweight.

The lady who said that is very nice, so I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it, but wowzer, what a "compliment".

Interesting topic. I haven't decided how I will handle this. Part of me wants to Celebrate with each pound I will lose, but the other part of me wants to keep 'em guessing.

I would NEVER tell anyone my current weight, nor would anyone ever ask. So why do people feel it's okay to ask amounts lost and current weight when you've slimmed down? I'm inclined to answer vaguely and respond like Juli suggested! Ask them a personal question, you know, since we're all sharing and bonding now!

I'm a little testy about this because I have struggled a great deal with even telling anyone that I was going to have sugery. I realize someone will notice when I start losing, and someone is bound to ask. I just can't figure yet if they will be supportive or is the information for purely gossip purposes.

~C

Juli, very witty metaphor. Unfortunately, if somebody is clueless enough to go on & on about your weight, they may be clueless enough that the joke is wasted on them.

I always thought people were really thinking that I am still fat when I told them about my weight loss. Now I don't really believe it as much. Several people that I never knew when I was fat were very surprised to hear that I had surgery. I almost feel normal and that is awesome.

About my starting weight, when I was 278 I would never tell anyone my weight. Now I proudly shout out 187. I also tell them my starting weight and ahve no problems about that. It is like I have gotten to a point where weight does not matter to me as much.

But I still poo before I weigh =)

:cursing:I was banded on feb 27th and I haven't had a fill yet. My first fill is april 17th. I can't wait...but obviously I stopped losing about a week and a half ago. I have lost 30 lbs but it has stalled and I am anxiously waiting my fill. Thats the back story

Where- Work

When- Yesterday

Who- Co-worker

This co worker who knows I have had surgery because the people here are freaking big mouths. About once a week he asks me about it even though I don't usually have much to say on the subject. He came up to me yesterday and said "Why is your face broke out?" It caught me off gaurd...I do have a zit on my forward and some spots on my chin. It happens. I didn't know what to say so I just stood there open mouthed

So, he answered himself. "It's because you have been eating chocolate, huh? You haven't lost anymore weight right? Why did you stop? Your not eating like your suppose to huh?"

I spent the rest of the day feeling fat and pimply.

Why can't people mind their own business.:lol: