Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice Appreciated

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am delighted to see a support group for Irish people.

I have been reading through many, many posts on this forum and the amount of information is really useful. I am hoping to get some advice from those of you who have been through surgery and are living in Ireland.

A brief history: I'm 31 years old, married with 2 children. I have struggled with my weight all of my life and have now gotten to the stage that I just want to tackle this head on. I am the atypical yo-yo dieter, losing some and then gaining what I lost back, and some more with it. I feel like life is passing me by and I am unable to participate - literally held back by my weight. I am also starting to notice changes in my health - eg. difficulty sleeping, and I want to be able to start living life and enjoying my children growing up.

Last year I went for a consultation with ACS. I was really disappointed with them and decided not to have the surgery with them. They cancelled my first appointment and did not inform me of the change. On my second appointment I was met by a nurse and not the surgeon as promised. My husband was really annoyed and said he would not be happy with me having a surgical procedure with them. In hindsight it was probably for the best considering the recent problems with them.

So my question is - where have you guys had your surgerys? What was the aftercare like? If anyone can give me any information i'd be really grateful.

Take Care

Hi Ma1977,

Welcome to LBT.

Like you I went for a consultation with ACS last year. It made up my mind to definitely go for the lap band, but it also made up my mind not to go with them.

I was banded 5 weeks ago in Belgium by Dr. Chris DeBruyne. I dont have a bad word to say about him. He comes to Dublin once a month for fills and consultation. I went to Belgium on a monday and came back on a Friday, you can come back on thurs but I'm glad I stayed the extra night. His website is Welcome to Obesity Assists's site. He is next in Dublin on 8/5/08. Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to PM me. I was charged EUR3400 for the op but then you pay separately for the fills.

I also went for a consultation in the Beacon Clinic in Sandyford. You need a referal from your GP. They seem to have a good set up with the surgeon, nurse and nutrionist. However, it cost e11,500 which is three time what Dr. Chris charges. However, it is a good option if you dont want to go abroad.

Depending on where you are in the country, I think there is also someone in Galway doing to op but I dont have any info on that.

Feel free to ask questions.

Elsie

Hi Elsie!

Thanks so much for the reply.

I will definitely look into the clinic you attended. It's funny you said that about ACS. I felt the very same. Although I knew I wouldn't be happy to go through having the surgery with them, it definitely cemented the idea of banding in my mind.

Can I ask, did you have your consultation here in Ireland prior to surgery? Or did you travel out there and then make up your mind? Sorry for all the questions but there's nothing like asking someone whose had personal experience. Also did you discuss the surgery with your gp? I did and he's pretty much against what he sees as unnecessary elective surgery. It's pretty important to me to have his backing (in case of any complications) so if I can provide him with as much info as possible it may alay his fears.

Thanks again!

Hi Ma,

I am booked to have surgery with Dr DeBruyne in Belgium on May 6 and would agree with Elsie entirely. I met with him last Thursday and he explained everything thoroughly and clearly and has also answered every email I have sent him within a day.

My GP is supporting me 100% - I gave him information to read and he is going to support me post op should anything happen that requires any urgent attention.

Good Luck with your decision making!

Siepie

Hi Siepie,

Thanks for that. Good luck with your surgery. It's great to hear that you have such a supportive doc.

Think I might contact Dr DeBruyne for a consultation and take things from there.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am delighted to see a support group for Irish people.

I have been reading through many, many posts on this forum and the amount of information is really useful. I am hoping to get some advice from those of you who have been through surgery and are living in Ireland.

A brief history: I'm 31 years old, married with 2 children. I have struggled with my weight all of my life and have now gotten to the stage that I just want to tackle this head on. I am the atypical yo-yo dieter, losing some and then gaining what I lost back, and some more with it. I feel like life is passing me by and I am unable to participate - literally held back by my weight. I am also starting to notice changes in my health - eg. difficulty sleeping, and I want to be able to start living life and enjoying my children growing up.

Last year I went for a consultation with ACS. I was really disappointed with them and decided not to have the surgery with them. They cancelled my first appointment and did not inform me of the change. On my second appointment I was met by a nurse and not the surgeon as promised. My husband was really annoyed and said he would not be happy with me having a surgical procedure with them. In hindsight it was probably for the best considering the recent problems with them.

So my question is - where have you guys had your surgerys? What was the aftercare like? If anyone can give me any information i'd be really grateful.

Take Care

hi there there is a company called obesity solutions set up in Dublin, they are offering the banding , bypass, balloon, and gastric sleeve. there price includes one years aftercare to include dietitian and psychological support. they have a residing surgeon who will be permanently residing here.the surgeon is approved by the medical council

hi there there is a company called obesity solutions set up in Dublin, they are offering the banding , bypass, balloon, and gastric sleeve. there price includes one years aftercare to include dietitian and psychological support. they have a residing surgeon who will be permanently residing here.the surgeon is approved by the medical council

Hi Wella123,

Thanks for the info. I had a quick google for info about obesity solutions. Is ii the case that the surgery is going to be performed in Ireland or will the pre and post op care just be conducted here with the op in Belgium? Just wondering cos my preferred option is to have the surgery here in Ireland but I am willing to travel.

Thanks again. All info is really appreciated.

hi ma1977 the surgery is performed in Dublin with all the aftercare in Dublin . the price for the band is 11,000 euro and that includes fills for a year , dietitian , and psychological support for a year. the surgeon is resident in Ireland which is very important, he is also an endocrine consultant very experienced in weight loss solution's clinic is state of the art. the first consultation is free i have the band and paid 10000 euro for it . i am delighted with my band but had a lot of problems with infection which is sorted out now. if i had to do it again i would go for a company that provides aftercare of a high standardi hope this helps you, happy days

hi ma1977 the surgery is performed in Dublin with all the aftercare in Dublin . the price for the band is 11,000 euro and that includes fills for a year , dietitian , and psychological support for a year. the surgeon is resident in Ireland which is very important, he is also an endocrine consultant very experienced in weight loss solution's clinic is state of the art. the first consultation is free i have the band and paid 10000 euro for it . i am delighted with my band but had a lot of problems with infection which is sorted out now. if i had to do it again i would go for a company that provides aftercare of a high standardi hope this helps you, happy days

Hi Wella123,

That's great news! I know that is more expensive than most of the foreign clinics but I would definitely feel better knowing that my surgeon is in the country and available should and complications arise.

Do you mind me asking how long you have your band and how you're doing?

hi ma i have my band 15 months and was losing weight really well. i got a port infection last July and had two port replacements. without restriction i lost no weight and actually put about a stone back on but now I'm back on track. i lost a total of three stone between Feb 2007 and august 2007. i know people that have lost 8 st in fifteen months. the band works but you have to work with the band and that's where the GOOD AFTERCARE comes in. if you want a phone number for the new clinic i will give it to you, i know the surgeon who is doing the bands and i know how dedicated he is .

hi ma i have my band 15 months and was losing weight really well. i got a port infection last July and had two port replacements. without restriction i lost no weight and actually put about a stone back on but now I'm back on track. i lost a total of three stone between Feb 2007 and august 2007. i know people that have lost 8 st in fifteen months. the band works but you have to work with the band and that's where the GOOD AFTERCARE comes in. if you want a phone number for the new clinic i will give it to you, i know the surgeon who is doing the bands and i know how dedicated he is .

Hi Wella,

Good to see you posting again.:) I take it this new place is nothing to do with where you had your band done! :sigh:. Its great to see new places opening up to do WLS and its particularly good that this new group are doing all the different types of WLS that way you know you are getting the right advice and choosing the correct operation for you. Its all good.:biggrin2:

Hi Elsie!

Thanks so much for the reply.

I will definitely look into the clinic you attended. It's funny you said that about ACS. I felt the very same. Although I knew I wouldn't be happy to go through having the surgery with them, it definitely cemented the idea of banding in my mind.

Can I ask, did you have your consultation here in Ireland prior to surgery? Or did you travel out there and then make up your mind? Sorry for all the questions but there's nothing like asking someone whose had personal experience. Also did you discuss the surgery with your gp? I did and he's pretty much against what he sees as unnecessary elective surgery. It's pretty important to me to have his backing (in case of any complications) so if I can provide him with as much info as possible it may alay his fears.

Thanks again!

Hi Ma

Yes, I had my consultation here in Dublin before I went over. I could have done it via email but I felt I needed to meet the surgeon before committing. The consultation just goes through the op, how the band work and some other stuff. You will be given time to ask as many questions as you need to. He will also give you the available dates for the operation.

I did speak to my GP but it was a case off I'm having this done and I'm letting you know rather than what do you think? I'm the one that has to live with this body not her. She asked a few questions and the only thing she suggested was having in ireland instead of belgium, not because of the aftercare, but because of the flying after surgery. I went for the consultation with the Beacon hospital but I really couldnt afford it as they couldnt guarentee a re-op would be covered if needed. I could afford 3 ops with Dr. DeBruyne if needed. It put the sh*ts up me to be honest but decided to stay one extra night and also got opinions of another independant dr. who said I'd generally be grand to fly the short distance after 24 hours. You are given meds to prevent DVT in hospital and also sent home with 5 shots of it as well (which is easy to do). My GP wished me the best of luck and after the op I went to get a cert and she was all questions. Dr. Chris also gives you a letter for your GP to describe exactly what he did to you during the op.

Oh and in relation to aftercare. If you decide to go with Dr. Chris he mentioned to someone there that he would have an emergency contact in Dublin within 6 months.

Hope that helped.

Elsie

hi ma its wella 123 here. i have one littlebit of advice for you. when myself and my friends that i have made since having the band went for our consultation we were only interested in the band. i since found out that because of my eating i would have probably been more suited to the bypass.i would advise you to find this out as with the band you can still get the chocolate and ice cream and other goodies down,you are lucky that you have information we had not got . hope this helps and if you need more info i will help you if i can , all the best in whichever you decide wella 123

Hi

I have had my lap band operation done at the Beacon Hospital in Sandyford. It was €11500 for a year of complete care. So far I can say they have taking great care of me.

Whatever you choose, best of luck as I do understand how hard it is to find someone to do the operations and put your trust in as it is a life decision.

Take care and let me know what you do?

Kathryn