Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone says how easy junk food goes down. I've got a reaaaallly stupid question. If I eat "good" food I can only eat the amount I'm technically supposed to eat - like 1/4 to 1/2 cup or so. BUT if I eat junk food, I can eat waaaay more volume. Anyone experience this? Is this what is meant by junk food goes down easy?

That's the EXACT way it is with me! That's why I ate so horribly over Easter. The chocolates and chips were there, so I ate them. The band didn't stop me whatsoever (and neither did I, clearly). I went to the movies with my mom the other night and told her I'd have a couple handfulls of her popcorn, thinking I wouldn't be able to eat any more than that. Well I ate more of her popcorn than she did! Then I'll try to eat some fresh fruit and I'll only be able to have a few bites. It's very interesting. I have to avoid "bad" foods completely because I can't control myself and the band doesn't control me well enough around most of them.

Oh, and yes I think that is what they mean by junk food goes down easy.

Thanks Lizzie. I think we have a lot of the same issues around junk food. I have to stay away completely - kind of like alcohol and an alcoholic. The band doesn't control me at all with junk food either.

But the best thing I love about the band is when I fall off the wagon I never gain back 20 pounds which is what would have happened pre-band. Now I might gain back two which is absolutely manageable. That's what happened these past two weeks - I ate absolutely horrible and I was cringing when I hit the scale and I only gained 2.5. I couldn't believe it. Now I have to find the strength to stop eating the junk again. How do you do it? Tomorrow I'm stopping cold turkey and going from there.

I know many people are looking at this and thinking I'm crazy for just getting the band not too long ago and eating crappy food. I just hope everyone has compassion when reading this and can be understanding. I thought a lot of my junk food problems would go away with the band but obviously they haven't, and obviously the band lets me eat a LOT more junk than I should.

Quite frankly I'm not sure what to do anymore. I've tried so many things to help me stop eating junk - acupuncture, hypnosis, different diets, but it is literally an addiction for me. I hope to stay accountable to people on here. Now you all know, I hope I can get support. I'll probably start that challenge tomorrow (and I HATE doing challenges! haha)

One of the first rules for lapbanders is to always eat Protein first. If you think about this, it becomes more clear... as Protein is dense, it tends to clump together and 'block' the stoma while the stomach goes to work digesting. If we eat Cookies or crackers or other items that break down to very very small pieces when chewed and swallowed before we eat the more dense foods (many fresh fruits that are high in density also help 'block' the stoma), then they tend to woosh right through the small stomach into the big one. Therefore, we can go on eating and eating far more than we believe that we should be able.

We can't be expected to never eat a cookie again or chips or junk foods. We just have to find a balance and moderation when we do. Choosing to eat denser, protein-based foods before we add those items will definitely allow the lapband to do its job better. Obviously though, no matter how little we eat... if the things we eat are extremely high in calories.. we won't lose weight.

Well you're not the only one Linda. I would have lost heaps more by now if it wasn't for the fact that junk food slides down so easily. Of course it doesn't help that my restriction allows me to eat everything else as well. I am fine during the day at work but at night and weekends I get a little out of control. Sure I don't eat like I used to but definitely way more than I should. I go for another fill next week and I want to get 1cc in because I think I need to make a drastic move to help stop all this.

I know some people think we should be using willpower to get the weight off but for me my main problem was the junk food and grazing. I spoke to a friend today who has been banded for over 2 years and is at goal weight. She said the band should be doing 90% of the work so we're obviously not at the right restriction yet.

It depends what the junk food is - I certainly cant eat pizza or fish and chips or Chinese food any more easily than healthy food and in fact they're harder and I desire them very little these days.

But I really have to work at eating properly when hungry. My bandster rule is "wholegrain carbs first". They work better to fill me up, keep me full and energise me than Protein does - although of course i eat Protein foods too. But they take WORK to eat and if I'm starving my first instinct is pick something easy - chocolate, biscuits, etc. Those foods go down SO easily!

I try to keep junk food out of the house, so the only places I can get it, is if we are out visiting family or friends, that at least limits how often I eat a "bad" food. I can still over eat but then at least it's just an extra yogurt or Protein bar.

I would say this is a problem maybe one or two days a month. I try to plan earlier in the day for the times we have company for dinner etc.

I have a few treats available that are not as bad as maybe chips would be, for me to choose from. And I am careful earlier in the day with eating. To me this is how my "normal" weight friends eat. They eat sensibly all week and then occasionally indulge.

It is amazing how easily some foods go down. I made creme brulee for dessert on Saturday night as we had guests. I had trouble getting some of the chicken down ( ate too fast) but had no problem getting dessert down! But I choose that dessert instead of having a big cake or pie because of the risk of leftovers! the recipe I made had eight servings and there was six of us for dinner. My husband happily consumed the extras, one was the "test" to make sure it came out ok and he ate the last one the next day. A big cake would have been too tempting for me.

It's a challenge for sure Linda.

I know I should eat Protein first and during a normal week I do, but when we have friends over, it's always appetizers (and drinks) first, so then what? I'm not a cheese lover, but I am trying more of them to try to develop a taste, as at least that is protein.

I guess if we can work at eating healthy 90% of the time, the other 10% will be ok.

Can you allow yourself maybe one of two days a month that you "treat" yourself with one fun meal that you can look forward to? Then maybe you won't feel like your are going to be deprived forever.

Wow, SADES, I hope my band will eventually do 90% of the work. It is defintely not at that level yet! But exciting to think it could be. I'd take 75%.

Linda, according to your ticker, it looks like your doing very well overall and your over half way to your goal. That's great!

YES...this is very much so the case with me. Like you, though, I am amazed after I eat all that stuff that I don't gain like I used to. chips, Cookies, candy...it ALL goes down so easy. Then I go to eat something substantial nutritionally and it's such a pain to get down. But I do my best to get in 3 "good" meals and treat myself occasionally. Right now I'm doing a push to lose more lbs to fit into new work pants (men's 32s!!/ women's 12s)...they pull on with a struggle and button just fine - but they would not be comfortable to work in for 12 hours. So I'm back to Slim Fast for a bit. Then I get to work on the more relaxed method of eating and trusting myself.

Edited by steph_co

Can you allow yourself maybe one of two days a month that you "treat" yourself with one fun meal that you can look forward to? Then maybe you won't feel like your are going to be deprived forever.

Linda, according to your ticker, it looks like your doing very well overall and your over half way to your goal. That's great!

Hey shortgal. Thanks for your reply. I can't ever treat myself or I get out of control, period. Not even one measly Hershey kiss (and I don't even like Hershey products!). It was a huge struggle before I was banded, but once banded I then was eating according to all the rules, BUT THEN realized I could actually eat anything I wanted (due to absolutely no restriction), and that's when I hit the slippery slide down to where I am now. I've got to go cold turkey, and I need a phenomenal reason to do it, and I don't know where to get my phenomenal reason!

I am halfway to goal, but the sad thing is I was halfway to goal about two months ago. I keep going up and down the same pounds.

Thank you to ALL who responded. I really appreciate your comments and thank you so much for not getting "down" on me. These food issues I have are literally the demons in me I have to fight and I'm glad I can come here to talk to everyone about it, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is feeling how hard it is to stop food addictions. :lol: Well, I mean I wish no one had to go through this, but it's nice to talk to people who understand.

I feel bad for you, im the same way my husband is soo pissed off he keeps saying we spent ***** and you keep eating junk food. I cant stop. I eat way less portions, and cant eat alot of foods like breads crackers but chocolate candy etc,, no problem. I was telling him about this diet that i wanted 200.00 for and he almost had a heart attack im embarresed when my family asks what ive lost since ive spent sooo much money. What are you going to do? When were you banded? I have an idea but my husband would flip. Dont you just love how supportive they are. I mean he let me do it and paid but i sure hear about it. Im going to try something called Bodytalk. Let me know how you do. and you are NOT alone.

Linda, I understand! I'm kind of an all or nothing type, too. It's better since I've been banded, but I would not trust myself with certain foods in the house. I must limit how much and how often I am around certain foods.

It's tough for sure and many of us have been or are still there. Hang in.

Maybe read a motivational book or buy a new outfit, hang an old, really bad photo of yourself at your highest weight on the cabinet, to get your self back on track and focused. Or just come here and we'll kick your butt with our Kendra cancer kicking, cowboy boots.

I feel bad for you, im the same way my husband is soo pissed off he keeps saying we spent ***** and you keep eating junk food. I cant stop. I eat way less portions, and cant eat alot of foods like breads crackers but chocolate candy etc,, no problem. I was telling him about this diet that i wanted 200.00 for and he almost had a heart attack im embarresed when my family asks what ive lost since ive spent sooo much money. What are you going to do? When were you banded? I have an idea but my husband would flip. Dont you just love how supportive they are. I mean he let me do it and paid but i sure hear about it. Im going to try something called Bodytalk. Let me know how you do. and you are NOT alone.

Needto, I don't know what I'm going to do. I too hate having spent so much and gone through invasive surgery, for cripes sake, and I still can't control myself. I just have to dig in, find the willpower from somewhere, and completely cut the junk out. I may need to borrow Kendra's boots.

Linda, I understand! I'm kind of an all or nothing type, too. It's better since I've been banded, but I would not trust myself with certain foods in the house. I must limit how much and how often I am around certain foods.

It's tough for sure and many of us have been or are still there. Hang in.

Maybe read a motivational book or buy a new outfit, hang an old, really bad photo of yourself at your highest weight on the cabinet, to get your self back on track and focused. Or just come here and we'll kick your butt with our Kendra cancer kicking, cowboy boots.

You're right not to have any of the foods in the house. I'm glad to know I'm not the only all or nothing person.

I will take your advice and do a few of those things. I started reading The Secret and quit, but I'll have to dig it out again.

I think I've kind of created a false image of myself. I think I look better than I actually do so I don't feel like losing weight as badly as I once did. Now that I blend in a little more when I go out and don't feel like I'm really noticeable, I don't have the urge to lose. But it's the difference between looking adequate and looking hot. And I'm a hottie inside, darn it! :frown:

I was a terrible biscuit (cookie) eater, but really, I've found that my focus on running, and having goals like a half marathon to aim for REALLY helps with motivation to eat well. I want to fuel myself well, I need to have the right foods for energy and the lighter I am, the easier it is on my body to run.

You cant just "create" those goals if you dont truly want them, I know, so I'm very lucky to have something I'm passionate about that makes me want to curb behaviours that dont help me achieve it.