Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so having been on here for a few weeks and getting answers to many of my questions, I finally made the call to the surgeon thinking that I would meet with him, make my final decision, then go through the necessary steps to get my date. Well, I was told I had to attend a seminar before i can even see the doctor, which only happen once a month. This month I will be away when it is held, so I won't even get to attend the seminar until the end of May, then who knows when I will see the doctor. Is this common? I'm feeling a little discouraged...

Yes, unfortunately this is very common! They want you to hear all the options, and know what is involved before you get to your appointment. This also helps field any questions you may have, they will most likely answer at the seminar. Usually you can make your appointment right away after you've attended. A lot of insurance companies require that you attend these also.

Sorry, I know it's frustrating. Good luck! I hope you get to go soon!

Yep, that seems to be common. I like to have control but through this process I learned that I was at their mercy and I had to do things on their timeline.

Yes, I just did it all:

1. Seminar

2. Appointment with the Lapband Doctor

3. Appointment with a Dietitian

4. Appointment with the Psychologist

5. Appointment with my Family Doctor to get a form

filled out that the Lapband doctor requested.

Had to do all of this before they would submit it to my insurance then I was told that insurance has up to 30 days to responsed

6. Dr. Teel said I will see him one more time after I get the approval before surgery

7. Then from what the Dietitian said I will have to go to another food class after approved.

8. Pretesting at the hospital a week before surgery

Good Luck!

Submited to insurance last Wednesday....................

Edited by TDPW4

Good Luck all those waiting...I know how frustrating it is! I started in January...just got my approval about 10 days ago!

Travelinsnorkel...see if they have a packet that you can fill out before the seminar...Mine had it on their web site but they also just emailed it to me. Then as soon as I attended the seminar I had it to give then it there and then they had to call me to set up all the initial consuts with NP, psych, nutritionist, etc...they wouldn't let me even schedule that until they found out if my insurance even covered it...this was different than the approval..

Also, start getting copies of all your mediacal records...like...if female...last Pap, Mamogram, any blood work, etc...Unfortunately for me 2 of my docs had retired so this took some calls, faxes and digging...They usually want a 5 year obesity documentation so you need to see if you can locate the medical charts with your weight recorded at least once a year...

Anyway, do what you can so that you have what you need at hand....Don't forget to make sure to go to the dentist too! my dr. did not require that but it is good to have a check and cleaning before any major surgery...

Yes, appt. will be your life for a few months!

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the info! I guess I just need to be patient. I know that they need to do all of that to make sure you are ready. Fortunately, I work for my primary care so I can probably push things through on that end, but I do want to make sure I'm psychologically ready. Now it is just a waiting game!

Don't be discouraged....well, it's easy to say, but I know, I felt the same way. Keep this in mind - we did not gain this weight overnight, and we haven't been able to lose it....it is tough to wait that month for the seminar, but you can...and then it can be possible you have to do 6 months of physician monitored weight loss, before you can even see the psychologist....and then finally you can see the physician....so it could realistically be 6 + months before you are in the surgeon's office....so think...where will you be weight wise if you don't start this process in May?

I went to a surgeon over 2 years ago, and didn't like what he had to say, because he wouldn't consider the lap band for me...preferred the gastric bypass, which I didn't want. So I didn't go back to the Dr. for weightloss issues for a year! Then I found out about Dr. Fielding. I had to wait a month to be able to attend the seminar. Then I had to do 6 months of weight loss monitoring. I should have gone to the psychologist before the 6 months or during that time, but I didn't realize I could....doh! Then I went to the nutritionist (which is primarily to ensure you know whst to expect for the pre and post op diet), which I could have also done sooner. Ok, so I'm slow...lol!

Anyway, after all this, my insurance kicked the paperwork back. Talk about discouragement! The reason for this was my physician didn't do his notes properly. My suggestion, get a copy of each visit's notes to be sure it has basics, such as Weight, diet discussed, exercise discussed, recommendations discussed, etc. because some insurance can be picky about how it is presented, and make sure your physician is making legible notes!

After all this, I saw Dr. Fielding only once before the surgery, but was very much at ease with him. I had surgery on November 1, 2008, and am 55lbs less than my highest pre op weight....and losing.

I know they use the phrase "worth the wait" for some sex ed program, but it applies to this also....it is worth the wait! Stay positive!

Ok, so having been on here for a few weeks and getting answers to many of my questions, I finally made the call to the surgeon thinking that I would meet with him, make my final decision, then go through the necessary steps to get my date. Well, I was told I had to attend a seminar before i can even see the doctor, which only happen once a month. This month I will be away when it is held, so I won't even get to attend the seminar until the end of May, then who knows when I will see the doctor. Is this common? I'm feeling a little discouraged...

OMG yes, it's common! In fact, I attended a seminar for a lapband surgeon in town and near my home and went all the way through all the psychological assessement, labs, etc. before I learned that his institution was not approved by my insurance.

I ended up choosing a surgeon 1-1/2 hours away and having to go through the seminar all over again. The new surgeon made no exceptions to this requirement.

I ended up having my surgery with the 2nd surgeon and couldn't be happier. Everything happens for a reason, they say... and I am very very glad that I ended up with the doctor and institution that I did. It has been a wonderful experience all the way.

Try not to be impatient, as hard as it is... time actually goes by much more quickly than you think it will. Before I knew it I was on the eve of my surgery and wondering how the time had flown by so fast. Now, almost 3 months out from my procedure I am asking the same question.

Keep your chin and determination up and you'll be fine!

I actually went to 2 seminars. I went to my first one, then made an appointment with my primary to get his opinion. He said I was a good candidate, but referred me to a different doctor at a different hospital. After I did some research, I was very glad for the referral. The surgeon he sent me too was much more experienced, voted one of the top doctors in 2007 by his peers, and works out of a much better hospital. I feel fortunate that I have a good insurance company, but the whole process will still take time. Here is a list of all the people I had to see to get it done. My surgery is tomorrow!!

* Seminar at the place I decided against.

* Primary Care Physician for "approval"

* sleep Study to determine I do not have sleep apnea

* Seminar with Dr. Hamn and appt afterwards

* Dietician appt as required by surgeon

* Psychologist evaluation as required by surgeon and insurance

* Pulmonologist as required by insurance

* Cardiologist with stress test as required by insurance

* Pre-Op Testing at hospital including Upper GI, EKG, CXR, blood work

* Surgeon appt for co-pay, book, pics, final measurements, Q&A, etc.

* SURGERY tomorrow!!!!

The whole process took about 3 months. The time went by pretty quickly. Hang in there.

Guest BiCoastal

I recently posted a similar story and from all the feedback here and there it appears it is the normal course of business. I couldn't see the psychologist for 4 weeks after the seminar and now I'm waiting another 4 weeks to see the nutritionist. Its difficult but I'm trying to not let it get me down. Some days are better than others but everyone here is very supportive and always available to "listen" when you need to vent it all out.

Hang in there everyone...just don't stress eat.....LOL

Texchelsey

Keep us informed and good luck to you!!!

I started my whole process in Sept. 07 with my orientation and was told that I wouldn't get my next appt. till 16 wks out and had to lose 20 lbs, it turned out to be like 20 wks. and then the ball has been rolling since with appt after appt, having to drive from Sacramento to San Franisco for each one. I said from the beginning that I'd jump thru hoops to get this band and I now have a surgery date of April 21st.

It's frustrating like everyone tells you, but in the end it'll be worth it. I still have 2 more trips to SF before my surgery date, but I have a wonderful supportive husband that drives down there each time I have to go, which helps!

Good luck with starting your journey!!! :regular_smile:

TXCHELSEY...I am thinking about you..let us know how you are doing???