Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had Migraines for the last few years and was banded in January. The last month, my headaches have been more frequent and severe. I don't *think* they are related to diet or the band, but I'm not sure.

I take the same headache meds since being banded as I did before. I drink a lot of Water or crystal lite (usually close to what I'm supposed to) and almost always meet my Protein goal.

Anyone with migraines have more trouble with them after being banded?

I am a Migraine sufferer but took Topirimate, the only cure for migraines...they say it's not a treatment, but a cure.

Crystal Lite set off my Migraines. The only flavor I could drink was sunny orange. Any of the other ones I got an awful headache.

Now I use kool aid brand coolaid w/ a splenda/sugar mix. But I say away from lemonaid....that for some reason really kills me. lemonaid flavor of anything. Except of course real lemons that I do myself.

It is funny thing that I got Lotrel to treat my high blood pressure, and it is a Calcium channel blocker, and it really prevents my Migraines very well also...

All my adult life suffered from migraines, cluster headaches.

I have been in the hospital numerous times over the past 30 years,

this pill really works for me.

Start/Current/Goal

lbs 230/159/130

Surgery 24 Nov 06

Dr. András Vereczkei ((he's awesome!!))

Medical School University of Pécs, Hungary

6.5cc in a 10cc band

I have been suffering from chronic Migraines since I was a little kid. I have tried everything under the sun and nothing has worked for me.

Midrin helps some, it gives me time to fall asleep so I can just run out the Migraine on its own

I suffer infrequently. I have watched the onset of my Migraines and can sometimes figure out what triggers them. Stress, alcohol are two that I have figured out. Mine last for 3 days and usually make me blindish in one eye.

I found the cure. Topirimate stops my migraines dead. I can still feel them, but they are not painful. I take the drug under the name Maxalt rpd. They are melt on your tongue type. I am so relieved that there is a cure.

Good luck with yours. I know they are miserable.

I posted a similar reply in another thread on headaches and I feel like I'm the crazy preachy lady but if anyone out there is suffering from Migraines you NEED to read this book "Heal Your Headaches" by David Buchholz.

I've had migraines for over 10 years and have tried everything under the sun for them. The book advocates changing your diet (which seemed insane that it would work when I read it) and getting off any meds that would cause rebound Migraine headaches. I'm pretty good about following the book's instructions and have reduced the numbers of migraines I get dramatically.

I was banded 2 weeks ago and there are a lot of things that bandsters eat that will probably trigger migraines if you're susceptible. Most flavored Protein powders, artificial flavors in anything (like crystal light), MSG in most canned Soups, fake meat products, caffeine, anything with chocolate in it, even things like Peanut Butter. It can be a struggle, especially soon after banding, to avoid those migraine triggers.

Anyway, the book totally changed my life and I _highly_ recommend it to anyone who wants to understand their migraines better and take control of them. Hope this helps.

I'm not banded yet so I was interested to read this thread. I take Maxalt melt-tabs for mine. Works wonders unless it's my hormones and then I'm just controlling the severity for 3-5 days. I don't have food triggers except red wine. Caffeine will actually help as will chocolate. A Peppermint Mocha Frapp light works wonders for heading it off if I don't have my meds with me. It'll bite me later but by then I've usually got my meds and am okay.

My triggers are hormones, flickering lights (fluorescents and strobing), extreme altitudes, and strong scents or smells (perfume, air fresheners and copious amounts of exhaust fumes are the worse).

Does this book you're talking about deal with those or just dietary? If it's just dietary then this book wouldn't work for me. I'm curious to know. Thanks.

I suffered from Migraines since I was 10 yrs old. I've tried every med, witch doctor, acupucture and homemade cocktails to get rid of them. Imitrex worked well but my doctor was afraid I was addicted to them ( I was) so she tried giving me a "Beta-Blocker" called Inderal (sp). This was an amazing pill that I take daily and have been Migraine free for over 5 years. Ask your doctor to give it a try. Good luck, gayle

actually, the book covers the whole range of triggers for Migraines - from things we can't control (hormones, barometric pressure, other people's perfume, light, etc.) to things we can control (diet, medication, sleep, etc.) the premise is to change the things we can control so that we're less susceptible on any given day to the things we can't control. (did that sentence make sense?)

It also says that if you're still suffering from headaches after changing the way you eat and the getting off of the rebound-effecting meds, then you should try Migraine drug options - and he goes over things like beta blockers, Calcium channel blockers, anti-seizure drugs like topamax, certain anti-depressants, etc. And though certain drugs tend to make people rebound (imitrex, relpax, excedrin, etc.) if you're able to drastically reduce your frequency and severity of your headaches, those can also be drug-treatment options.

It's such a great, informative read. The best book I've read on migraines by far.

Migraines are much more complex than just triggers

it is hereditary also, my grandma committed suicide, she couldn't take the pain anymore, her son, my father is suffering also, and myself

+

as many as one in five people may suffer from patent foramen ovale (PFO) - or a hole in the heart - which can leave them at increased risk of both stroke and migraine

Thanks, spicegrrrl!

Think I'll check into that book. Barometric pressure is also another trigger, that's what's happening right now for me. We're expecting a storm tonight.

I was "addicted" to Advil when my PCP discovered I had Migraines. The Advil would help but as soon as I stopped taking it, wham! I'd get so sick and have to leave work and barely make it home and I was only a couple of miles from work. I totally understand about rebounding. It's awful. He had me go cold turkey for MONTH before I could get my Maxalt Rx filled. It was horrible but so necessary. I had to "get off" the Advil before the Maxalt could help me or I would have just traded one "addiction" for another.

Who'd a thunk! Didn't even know that could happen let alone have it happen to me!

I don't want to sound snooty but Topiramate (also know as topomax) is not Maxalt. Maxalt is a triptan based med that is used for Migraines and topomax is an antiseizure med. Two totally different medications. The idea behind taking anti seizure meds is to be a preventative for migraines and maxalt is to treat a Migraine at onset. I have suffered from migraines my whole life and have tried everything under the sun as well. I personally would not recommend my worst enemy to try topomax. I suffered memory loss, lupus symptoms, and a whole lot of other side effects that are just too many to list. I could go on and on about meds, but nobody really needs to hear me. Personally what is probably happening is the hormones your body is releasing because of weight loss and also the crystal light is what is bringing them on for you. I hate to say it but you should probably lay off the artificial sweeteners for a while! Talk to your doc about getting a triptan type medication (maxalt, imitrex, etc) to treat the migraine at onset until your body gets used to the fact that you are shedding this weight!

mbanja, I hear you about the topomax. I had been on it, and just stopped due to spacy-ness and memory loss. Plus, it did nothing for my migraines--maybe at a higher dose it would have, but at that point the side effects would have even been worse.

I'm going to do a week with no artificial sweeteners and see if it makes a difference. Mint iced tea (herbal--no caffiene) is a good option and all natural.

Eccedrine Migraine has Aspirin, which has some risk of bleeding, so many docs will advise it only in moderation. Eccedrine tension headache, however, has only acetaminophen and caffiene, and is a safer choice.