Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Common sense anyone?

Ok, here is my rant. It might be a long one, and compiled from reading here for a long while.

Don’t you* people read the post-op paperwork you are given? I mean really, do you? It has a list of things (in general) to expect for the weeks to come. I have had a few surgeries in my life time and each and every time I was given a packet for care, what to expect, and what is not normal. Most importantly I was ALWAYS told “if in doubt call us”. Now this advice has always seemed comically common sense to me. I am a retired (I don’t know, can you be retired at my age from anything?) EMT so for me it was just common sense.

My doctor has this saying, which in fact is a good one, “Better to be paranoid and fine, then do nothing and be dead”. I firmly believe this, I would rather seem a bit paranoid about something that isn’t right then do nothing and it get so much worse I am in the hospital on my death bed. Some of these “is this normal” are just that, normal stuff you weren’t expecting but the rest, what the hell are you thinking??? CALL YOUR DOCTOR!! I mean seriously, don’t waste your time typing on some forum because your incision is red, puffy and oozing (just an example, not calling anyone out) good gracious call the doctor or go to your local emergency room.

I don’t mean to come across as a mean bitch, but for crying out loud, READ your post op care packet, if what you are experiencing isn’t on it, call your surgeons office right away! If it seems scary and just plain ‘not right’ get your tush up to the emergency room and get it checked out!!! Common sense goes along way for your health and mental well being!!

Sorry bout the rant but I had to say something … it has been bothering me to no end for quite some time and I do feel better now that I have gotten it out of my system.

Pix

You* indicates a generalized "you" and not a specific person or people.

Thank you for posting this. I posted something similar just the other day, only you can't see it. :)

Common sense goes far. And I realize that one man's common sense is not another's, necessarily, but because we're all still alive there has to be some common thread of it.

It's not just thep ressing medical issues, although those certainly are up there. :huh2:

I was going to rant like this also but since you did I will hold back. I have not been banded yet and only been to one consultation. I have read my post and pre op guides and read these forums and am amazed at how many people who been banded already ask the weirdest question. Like the "omg, its been 5 weeks since i banded and i gained or stayed the same weight. Well, there is 30 stickys here and on almost every seminar, presentation, video i saw at least mentioned once the fact you will probably not lose or might even gain weight at this time.

But oh well, it doesn;t hurt me any

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but my concern goes deeper again. I REALLY wonder about the people who post threads saying things like "I didn't know I had to do any pre/post op diet or I didn't know it would hurt, or I didn't know I would get shoulder tip pain etc etc my Dr didn't give me ANY instructions AT ALL about anything. I thought I'd be fine and get back to life a few days after surgery". (all just examples, of course there are exceptions).

Are they serious? Who on earth lets someone, even an apparently qualified surgeon even near their body if they haven't given any pre/post op and future life "this is how its going to affect you FOREVER" instructions? I mean surely they aren't THAT stupid to think that the surgery is so minor and routine that you have to do nothing to prepare for it and nothing changes afterwards? You wouldn't get a knee reconstruction without getting detailed info from the Dr, right?? All I can say is that if my surgeon had of been that vague, I would have run from his office as fast as my fat little butt could carry me.

I also wonder though if people are being given this information like I was in a big booklet from my Dr (and could of course go and see him if I had further questions at any time) and don't spend the time reading it.....

It disturbs me that someone would have their body CUT open, and a foreign object placed around their stomach...and not do any research on it's effects/requirements/expectations. I'm several months from being banded and since I've made my decision I've done nothing but read about the Lapband system.

I'm certainly far from being an expert, but I at least know the BASICS of the surgery and how the tool is supposed to work, what the side effects may/may not be, etc.

Some of the questions asked by folks that are already banded scare the hell out of me.

Unfortunately having an IQ in the triple digits is not a prerequisite for lapband surgery.

Anytime I'm given paperwork at doc's office, I spend that long wait-time to go over it. Anything left over (re: inamed handbook) makes good toilet literature!

Great post, Pix...could you rerun that a couple of times a week? I think some ppl think the lapband is just a quick fix. They don't take the time to do their homework, are faced with a post-op problem and can't believe it's happening.

Man Am I Glad You Said It.. Lmao Must Be An Emt Thing ( I Have Been One For 12 Years Now ..lmao )

But Unlike Another Said I Will Continue The Rant

It Makes Me Wonder How Many People Actually Pay Attention To What Is Being Said When I Am At The Doctors. I Dont Go To Group Meetings Anymore Because I Will Probably Find Myself Needing An Attorney By The Time Its Done. If I Had To Hear One More Time ( I Swear I Heard This 6 Times By The Same Person In One Meeting ) "what If Im Going On Vacation"

Then Dont Go On Vacatipon If It Is Such An Issue

Yes Im A Bit High Strung At Times But I Have A Zero Tolerance Policy For Nit Wits

I Just Got Done Reading A Thread About A Lady That Couldnt Afford Her Fills, But, Was Flying To Go See Bon Jovi In Vegas Hellllloooooooooo !!!!

So I Guess To Sum It Up

no you Probably Wont Feel Restricted After A 1st, 2cd, Or Possible 3rd Fill

If It Hurts Or Doesnt Feel Right go See The Doc Dont Wait Days For A Reply, You Wil Probably Be Swirling The Drain By Then.

If You Cant Read Your Pre Or Post Op Instructions, Then Perhaps Money Would Have Been Better Invested In Hooked On Phonics

If You Cant Hear What Is Being Said, You Can Order A Whisper 2000 Off Of Tv For 5 Low Monthly Installments

Unlike Pix I do Mean To Sound Like A Bitch, Mostly Because I Am One, Thats Just Me, If Your Being A Tool I Will Let Ya Know

I Did The Oddest Thing When My Port Wouldnt Close Up. I Went To The Er And Had Them Stich It So It Wouldnt Get Infected. Call Me Crazy But I Did It ( I Run With Scissors On Occasion Too )

Thats For Starting This Thread, I Needed Some Place To Vent This Too ( You Should Have Seen The Funny Looks I Was Getting Yelling At The Puter Now I Can Stop That ) Rest Assured I Will Keep It Going When I See Gross Imcompitance