Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about Lap Band surgery and trying to get a good feel of questions, etc... for my doctor appointment.

Does anyone on this forum have Type 1 Diabetes - and if so - any issues on getting your blood sugar regulated after the surgery?

Any good questions to ask the doc??

Thanks!

I am a type one diabetic

I have not found many if any on this site

I wish I could

I was banded on June 19 2007

My diabetic doc was all for the band.

My A1cs went down and I feel so much better

Our weight loss will be slower than the average lapbander.

Surgery went great I was only in there for the day and they sent me home.

I have a insulin pump so I did the temp rate for a while and took lots of counts

My incisions healed super fast

Like I said earlier the weight loss is slower you will be more likely to go into starvation ketones

I have had a few problems with ketones make sure you eat at least 1000 cal per day (after you are cleared to eat again)

I dropped my cal down to 700-800 cal per day and that was not enough

It is like a juggling trick untill you know for sure how many cal to eat

My weight seems to stop losing for a few weeks than I lose again I have lost 85 lbs in 8 months.

My first ? for the surgeons office would be if they have proformed the surgery on a type one diabetic

That is how I picked my surgeon

I called around untill I felt like they know what they were talking about.

I would do it all over again if I had to

PM me if you would like any more information

Good luck do not let the diabeties hold you back I did for many years I kept telling myself the doc would never let me get that surgery because i do not heal good enough

WOW I healed so fast when my counts were under controll

Good luck

IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT

Hi

I would like to talk to you more about this. I have been an insulin dependant diabetic since age 2. I am 58 now. I have had a heart attack on June 2007. I weigh 250. My doctors want me to have lap band but I am scared. I would like to know how old you are, how long have you been diabetic, etc., etc.

Marla

marlarota@comcast.net

I am a type one diabetic

I have not found many if any on this site

I wish I could

I was banded on June 19 2007

My diabetic doc was all for the band.

My A1cs went down and I feel so much better

Our weight loss will be slower than the average lapbander.

Surgery went great I was only in there for the day and they sent me home.

I have a insulin pump so I did the temp rate for a while and took lots of counts

My incisions healed super fast

Like I said earlier the weight loss is slower you will be more likely to go into starvation ketones

I have had a few problems with ketones make sure you eat at least 1000 cal per day (after you are cleared to eat again)

I dropped my cal down to 700-800 cal per day and that was not enough

It is like a juggling trick untill you know for sure how many cal to eat

My weight seems to stop losing for a few weeks than I lose again I have lost 85 lbs in 8 months.

My first ? for the surgeons office would be if they have proformed the surgery on a type one diabetic

That is how I picked my surgeon

I called around untill I felt like they know what they were talking about.

I would do it all over again if I had to

PM me if you would like any more information

Good luck do not let the diabeties hold you back I did for many years I kept telling myself the doc would never let me get that surgery because i do not heal good enough

WOW I healed so fast when my counts were under controll

Good luck

IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT

Hi There,

I've had the lap band and my daughters want to get it also. My oldest daughter has Type 1 Diabetes. She's on an insulin pump as well. I would be interested in connecting the two of you so she could get more information from you. If you would be interested in corresponding with her I would really appreciate it. You can email me at soshal3@msn.com. My name is Robin Hibbs. Her name is Shelby McMurrin and she is 22 years old, has a daughter that is 7 months old. I work as a Nurse Diabetes Educator and had some reservations due to the starvation ketones....just scared for her, but completely understand why she wants it and know it would be a great thing...it has been for me!

Thanks!

Robin

Help! I have stopped my pills and cut my Lantus in half because I keep having low blood sugars on pre-op liquid fast. Last night I needed to take to gloucose tabs to bring me up to at least 100. Is this something you have experienced? :thumbup:

I called my Dr's office and no one returned my call!

Thanks! ~Robin

I am type 2 diabetic and having problems with my blood sugar dropping too low. I hope this stops once I have the surgery on Wednesday.

You may have to keep cutting back on your meds/insulin. Careful of lows. Do you have Type 1 or TYpe 2?

For Spirit, Type 1 or TYpe 2? I see the other post said Type 2. No matter which you'll have to cut back on any meds or insulin you are on. In the case of TYpe 1, you will always need some amount of insulin, but much less than before if your eating is limited. Type 2, many will get off of all meds/insulin, but some won't and eventually, even those that get off all meds/insulin may need meds again at some point. Type 2 diabetes is progressive so over many years you will continue to lose beta cell function and make less and less insulin. That progression is genetic/.environmental so it can be different for everyone. Just an FYI. Both Type 1 and Type 2 be cautious about hypoglycemia....cut your meds/insulin back as needed. Halve the pills/insulin and discontinue if necessary (if you don't have TYpe 1.)