Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone dealing with fibromyalgia as well as trying to not overeat? It seems when I am hurting with my fibromyalgia I want to eat comfort (i.e. fats and sugar) foods. For that short time the pleasure over rules the pain. Then I feel frustrated and angry afterwards. However, I still have the drive to go back to that comfort food. Does anyone else have that problem?

I am preop. My surgery is March 17 and I am so excited. I also have fibrobyalgia and the pain practically runs my life. I don't know whether the surgery is going to help the pain of fibro but it certainly can't hurt. I am thinking i am going to be wanting the comfort food also. It is going to be a challenge.

Dottie

Thanks for your reply. I haven't found that the band has helped my fibromyalgia except right after my surgery. I also have acupuncture and I guess my body decided the surgery was a big acupuncture.:) I had no trouble for about two weeks. Now I am in that in between stage four weeks out. Too much room for everything to go through and two weeks away from my first fill. Do you take much medication. That's one of my fears about having a fill. It was really hard to get all the crused meds down (gagging all the way :lol:). Oh well. It will work itself out someway.

Hi Taz! I also have fibromyalgia. I was banded 2/22/08. I know what you are talking about, but have not felt that way since banding. Where do you have most of your pain? My legs hurt alot, but then again the whole body. Maybe it will feel somewhat better with weight loss. I take ultram for pain. How about you? Leah

I'm hoping my pain will improve with weight loss. Today is a whole body day but mostly in my shoulders. I tried Ultram but it did not work for me. Elavil, Zanflex and lately Lyrica help. The Lyrica gives me a little trouble with memory recall but for me it is worth it. I also take pain meds at night so I can sleep. I have had it about 10 years. How about you? Do you get the munchies when you hurt? I dread having a fill for fear I will have trouble taking my meds. How is your restriction? I guess it is a new journey begun and we hope for the best. I hope you are doing okay.

Taz, I have had my fibro about the same lengh of time as you. I wonder who picked us for this ridiculous stuff? food does make you feel better when in pain. We will just have to find a healthy way of eating. I know when I have been on my feet all day at work it feels good to come home and have something to eat and relax. That always makes you feel better for a bit. I get my first fill March 28, so I only have a little restriction. When my doctor places the band he does put some saline in it. Does yours? Since the beginning of this journey I have been trying to find other comfort besides food. Like a hot bath, reading, doing something fun that you like to do. Hope you will feel better soon. Leah

Thanks so much, Leah. I like to go walking. It's just the inertia. It can be so overwhelming to get dressed and go out the door as I am sure you know. The good thing is the next day is usually better and I wonder why I was so overwhelmed. I do have to find something comforting besides food. I am feeling better this evening. My husband says I can tell if there is a cold front anywhere in the world, lol. I am trying to get on line here often and that helps. A hot shower helps. I love to shop but I don't think that is very comforting long term (at least not to my husband). It has been a while since I have had acupuncture...he said that might be good too. Thanks again for your feedback. It also helps to know I amnot the only one dealing with this crazy stuff. Take care.

Tina

Taz, hey, what is fibromyalgia, I looked it up in a medical dictionary but it really didn't give much of a description except, muscle pain, stiffness, and I'm thinking could this be what this crap is that I have, I thought mine was from the Lipitor that I was taking, weak muscles, not strength, and if in one position to long and then move, egads, the first initial movement till I get at it is painful, I'm not on any meds except just regular OTC stuff, I was also blaming it on my weight and my joints hurting from carrying so much of it around, of course a while back I was exposed to Ebstein-Barr, go figure, that just relates to fatigue symdome, which I am a lot, and I just blamed that on the excess weight that I was carrying around again. I have read in some threads that once the weight starts coming off that the energy level will increase and no more naps, gosh I so look forward to being able to stay up a full day without needing a nap to continue. So if you don't mind, could someone explain to me what exactly this is, the medical dictionary also stated there is NO CURE!!

Hey guys I too have fibromyalgia and have suffered with it for many years. It amazes me to see the commercial about Fibro. I went from doctor to doctor before I found one that even believed the illness was real!

food has been my comfort also, along with being too tired and/or hurting too much to exercise, ie the weight packed on. I started walking the first of the year and was up to 2 miles when I got an abscessed tooth that then dry socketed! I haven't walked in two weeks now and will have to start all over again! It seems for every step I take forward I go back 3!

I have seen my PCP 3 times, had an EKG, had my psych visit. I hope to see the surgeon the first of June and will find out then what the next step will be. In January I went to his office and filled out health and insurance paperwork. In April I plan on going to their Lap Band support group.

It's nice to be able to talk to others that have the same problems I have.

Best of luck to all of you.

Barbara

I have fibro too. I get accupuncture treatments. I think they help. It's hard to stay off NSAIDs. Also makes it hard to exercise. The only thing I can do is Water exercise. I'm sure loosing weight will help. Sure can't hurt!

I don't have my band yet, but I have Fibro and Rheumatoid Arthritis, both of which have no cure. I do take Ultram generic for the pain, or Percoset if it is bad enough. But what worries me is the Lyrica. I have gained 40 lbs. since starting it, and I'm really dreading taking it and fighting the weight loss.

Julie

Wannadancesoon, I think fibromyalgia is different for each person. For me it means every time there is a cold front I will be hurting. I may hurt across my shoulders, it may be in my legs, it may be in my arms. It is my muscles and tendons which hurt. Sometimes I feel very depressed. Not necessarily because I am hurting. I just feel very depressed. Yesterday I was hurting so much all day I just burrowed into my chair and didn't move. And I went looking for comfort foods. Oh well. I also tried pain meds twice in the day. This usually helps but not yesterday. I hate to do this because I need them for sleeping at night. I have been blessed with a wonderful female doctor. She listens and tries to help. I have been going to acupuncture for almost two years now. I take Lyrica, Elavil and Zanaflex along with my pain meds. All seem to help a little so together I am able to becomfortable (or at least bearable) most days. I know a person doesn't really get a choice of which challenges we have to live with. Oh, well. And I love comfort foods at the best of times and crave them at the worst. I knew I could no longer resist them on my own. That's why I chose to be banded. Even now I am thinking about the homemade boiled custard left over from a meeting. It makes me think of the movie Lilo and Stitch when she first gets him and sprays him with the Water and calls him a bad dog. I guess being banded is my negative reinforcement. I still need that first fill before I know more what I need. Anyway, Wannadancesoon, I hope this is helpful. Maybe some others would like to share what fibromyalgia feels like to them. It seems to make it easier knowing I am not alone. Thank you all for your posts.

jam 265, have you tried Elavil. That is the one which helped me the most consistently. As with all meds, I built up a bit of a resistence to it. Also Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) really helps me at night so I can sleep. (Warning! It will make you snore which may bring complaints from your family! Nothing is perfect:). Hope this is helpful. Lyrica hasn't affected my weight.

I do take Xanaflex, and I have a bipap machine, so no one can complain! I'm not familiar with Elavil, so I will look into it. I appreciate the input. I'm very concerned about the RA aspect.