Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post op, hungry, no weight off

I am 8 days post op and following my liquids only to the tee. I am also hungry. I am having 70-80 in Protein a day (as per dr). I got on the scale yesterday, 1 week post op, and I have only lost 1/2 pound. I lost 25 pounds in 2 months prior to surgery with diet and exercise so I thought that with the band the weight would "fall" off. My husband says it is because I had to stay extra with a IV and that I am retaining h20 plus I wasn't apple to exercise like I was prior to surgery. I am hungry and confused. Today I get to walk 1/4 mile for the first time since surgery, Maybe that will help.:biggrin:

Everyone experiences this.... after surgery you do hold more than 2 pounds of Water weight. They will come off slowly. DON'T increase what you are drinking... try to keep to the diet. Sometimes the weight comes off slow, sometimes fast.

Hi, I posted about the very same problem today. I was banded 1 week ago today and lost 12 pounds before surgery. I am just as frustrated as you but other people on the site have told me this is very normal in the first week and you might all of a sudden lose 5 pounds after your body gets used to the band. I just wanted you to know I am in the same boat you are and we just need to keep positive. WE WILL LOSE WEIGHT!!!

Tarasa,

Thanks for letting me know that i am not the only one this is happening to. I think what is fustrating me most is that on a number of postings I see people comment about "are you really hungry or is it in your head". I know the difference. When I wake up in the morning and my stomach is moving around like it has not had food in hours, I am hungry. My stomach is doing this all day long. This is not in my head, it is in my belly. I am still on liquids and will be until monday (5 more days). I can only hope that puree foods will take care of the hunger.

Please feel free to write me so we can compare progress.

Hi, I posted about the very same problem today. I was banded 1 week ago today and lost 12 pounds before surgery. I am just as frustrated as you but other people on the site have told me this is very normal in the first week and you might all of a sudden lose 5 pounds after your body gets used to the band. I just wanted you to know I am in the same boat you are and we just need to keep positive. WE WILL LOSE WEIGHT!!!

I really appreciate the post. I just went in today to have the staples removed (7 days out of surgery). I only lost 1 pound and was feeling pretty low. When I told the surgeon and the nurse that I only lost 1 pound they did not blink. They said not to worry and that I have a long way to go. I really did not know what they were saying - I mean what does that mean? I know I have a long way to go - especially since I am eating next to nothing and loosing only 1 pound.

But thanks to your post I feel much better. I am still pretty bruised and some of the openings are not healed 100 percent...so I will try to be a bit more patient. Hopefully some weight will drop off in the next couple of days. I am keeping my fingers crossed. (I have a fill scheduled in 4 weeks).

Hun, I gained 20 pounds in the hospital b/c of all of the fluid...don't worry about what the scale says right now! :)

Hi Bugalu,

I am excatly in the same situation as you are. I am 8 days post of and I step on the scale this morning, no change from the time of surgery! I emailed the doc and told me to relax and that it is normal. Weight fluctuates and I am retaining Water - and told me that my main goal right now is to heal.

I know it is frustrating that you see other posts and chatters loosing weight and we are not - but everyone is different. The weight loss will follow as long as we follow our doctor's recommendations.

I look forward in hearing more about your progress. You'll be cute, sexy and hot in no time!

Take care,

Shampoo

though my experience was different, I lost 21 lbs within 1o days after surgery, but the nurse from my insurance company called to check up on me and said DO NOT WEIGH yourself. She said it can be discouraging because the scale may not move...she said this is due to swelling. Your abdomin swells, you have extra gas from the surgery, and you retain a lot of Water. I was very surprised to see that I had lost 21 lbs. It has been about 2 weeks since that appointment and now I have only lost an additional 4 lbs :)