Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When one has a PB, how fast does it happen? Do you have one at the time of the meal (and potentially with dinner partners) or do you have time to nip off into the bathroom? I guess I am asking if it is like a feeling that you are going to PB and you have time to organise yourself? Or is it sudden onset?

:girl_hug:

I usually have time to walk briskly to the bathroom. It is a very, very, painful feeling in your chest (almost like you've swallowed a pool ball) and it's stuck. You feel it right away. I can control the pb'ing. It's not like vomit.....sudden or uncontrolable.

I agree. Although I cannot control it. My body says you need to get this out and it just does it...I can't override the process. But, like thenume said...you feel it coming, it's painful and I usually make a brisk exit to the nearest bathroom! And she's right...it's not really like barfing...no stomach acid involved. Just the food plus a lot of saliva coming back up so it's not traumatic to me. (I hate puking for real and this doesn't creep me out like real puke.) Gross info, I know. But hey, that's the topic at hand!

I can control it and get to a bathroom. I can also force it by bending over and pressing on my stomach. My doctor says don't do this because you can do some damage, but I have to admit I have done it.

You can tell immediately when food is stuck. It feels exactly like food is stuck in your esophagus, and won't go down. You can sometimes sit there and wait, and hope it will go down. You can also tell when it's time to head to the nearest rest room.

I was stuck pretty badly yesterday at a friend's house. She doesn't know I am banded. I keep papaya tablets in my purse. I just kept chewing them, and eventually, it went down. Sometimes, they will dissolve what is stuck, but it takes awhile. I fed the rest of my dinner to my dog while she wasn't looking.

i didnt know that you shouldnt press on your tummy to help it come up... sometimes i have to force it a bit with fingers down the pipe- gross i know...

but yes definitely know when it is gonna happen... but somtimes look a bit odd going to the bathroom after you've only just started your meal!

I can generally make it to the restroom. I used to fight throwing up with all my might. Now I can just look at the potty - bend over and get rid of the stuck.

The only time I REALLY have to hurry is if I get to the point where I can't swallow my spit or I start excessive salivating. I have always made it though (knock on wood!)

wombat