Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT: Heartbreak. For dog lovers only.

I've posted twice in different threads that my dog was very ill and dying. I had him put to sleep today. He was feeling good today so in a way it was the perfect time. He had very bad heart disease and we had been battling it for over a year. I had to give him ten pills a day.

I know everyone thinks their dog is the best and I am no different. I thought mine was the best. He was so smart, so mellow, so gentle with children and old people. He was so affectionate that he brought a lot of pleasure to many people. All the neighborhood children ask if they can pet him whenever they see me. And he was a pet therapy dog. I belonged to a pet therapy group. The dogs had to be tested to make sure they had the right temperament. Niko and I visited a nursing home with other owners and dogs. But there were several residents that only looked forward to seeing him. "Where's the poodle?" they would ask. I'll never forget one very special time. Niko was sitting in a resident's lap, licking her face. She had Alzheimer's and I had never seen her have a visitor. She looked at him and exclaimed, "Oh, you love me! And I love you, too, honey." She seemed so happy in that moment.

I love animals and I've had and still have cats, but I've never loved an animal as deeply as I loved Niko. He was my everyday companion.

Well. I just felt compelled to post this as a little memorial to him. You guys are part of my family, too, now. I know I'll be OK. I am OK. Just very, very sad. Thanks for reading this far.

Nancy

Blessed are they who have found a friend to cherish evermore,

And it matters not if they walk about on two legs, or run about on four.

They all give love and loyalty, and courage for their part.

And passing leave behind them a trail of broken hearts.

But when your courage fails you, and you feel you're about to fall,

Remember how lucky you were, to know this furry friend at all.

Today our beloved dog "Abby" underwent surgery for a very bad case of uterine infection. The vet said it's not uncommon for dogs of her age to die of this. Believe me when I say, I can empathize with you. She's at the vet's tonight, and doing well so far. I stretch out a hand of comfort to you, and let you know there are other hearts that share this pain, but we also know only you can feel the void.

Nancy - I am so sorry, I know how much he meant to you. I know it was a very hard decision for you to make. All my animals were just like children to me, and so very precious, so I know how bad you are hurting right now. If you need someone to talk to, you know where I am. My thoughts are with you my friend.

Hugs!

Nancy, Iam sorry

I know how you are feeling, we just put our rottweiller to sleep recently and we are still adjusting to the loss, it's tough but Niko is in a better place. As difficult as it is to see our animals suffer we know we do the right things..my thoughts are with you...(((hugs)))

Nancy, I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face as well. My very old dog will need to be put down soon. He's very old, and is having mobility problems. He is having a very difficult time going up and down stairs.

I, too, understand your loss. I had to say goodbye to my beloved companion this past summer and my heart will never be the same.

Greiving for a pet is difficult because it is not something that is viewed by society the same as a person. I can remember breaking down at work and trying to hide my emotions, and then being mad that I had to mask my sadness for someone that had been so proud of me. Take comfort with those around you that understand what a difficult time this is for you.

It still brings tears to my eyes now just typing this. Those pawprints left on your heart will never go away.

Dearest Nancy, I know you have a lot of memories to cherish w/this sweet little guy. You're so lucky to have had such a special friend. (((Hugs)))

((((BiG HugS))))

Truly - I am so sorry to hear of this sad news.

I will pray that your grief will pass soon...

God bless you.

(((Nancy))) It's just not fair that dogs have such a short life-span... I'm so sorry and it's a good thing that your dear friend doesn't have to suffer any longer...

((Tears are pouring over Niko))

Dear Nancy,

My heart is completely sobbing for you and the loss of your family member. No words can comfort you but I want you to know when they are feeling kinda good it is the perfect time. Its Niko's way of making it easier on you & letting you see him wag his tail & smile just one more time. Niko was and always will be THE VERY BEST DOG IN THE WORLD!

I am so sorry. I would still love to see his photo if you are able to post one. I have only had to put one best friend down. Her name was Nikki, an airedale. She was 13 & had a great life. She had been failing for a long time & when I returned from MSU finals, well she perked up just like a pup. She was happy & eating & wagging that tail like she was 2. So I put her favorite bandana on & said "Lets take her now Mom while she is happy".

I keep her ID tag on a little nail just to the right of the kitchen sink. I get to look at it everyday. My Mother has the one of Molly, a shepheard who was before Nikki at her home, just to the right of her sink.

Its that little reminder everyday of the purest most unconditional love anyone can recieve. God is truely amazing to have created such a creature, perhaps he thought so too & thats why we all know DOG is just GOD spelled backwards.

I'm crying for you, Nancy, and my heart goes out to everyone who has lost a dog. After I put my beloved Labrador, Lola, to sleep five years ago, my mother gave me a copy of the Rainbow Bridge (below), which still makes me weep every time. It may give you comfort. Warning, sentimental dog lovers do not read on unless you are prepared to cry.

"When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge, just this side of Heaven. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, Water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill or old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together........" Author Unknown

Thank you so much everyone, for your understanding and compassion. It is so comforting.

Ryan, I pray that Abby makes that vet look like a fool for worrying so. And for worrying you, as if you didn't have enough on your plate. Please let us know how she is doing. I care.

Daisy, I know it's still hard. I know that time really does heal all wounds. Funny that they never say how much time, though.

Vinesqueen, my heart breaks for you, too. I know that during the long time that Niko was sick, it always scared me a little and made me sad to hear of other dogs whose time had come. But Niko kept on keeping on through many friends dogs' deaths. Have you tried Rimadyl for your dog? It really helped Niko with his arthritis and it made a big difference in my brother's dog, too. When I started Niko on Rimadyl, he got a lot happier and started eating better too.

Michelle, I'm sorry about your Rottweiler. I did know that you put him down, but I wasn't sure if you were ready to "talk" about it yet. I said a prayer for you and your family that day.

Several friends advised me not to wait too long with Niko. They felt that they had done that with their pets. So "I'll Succeed," I am glad that it was a good day for Niko. Jennifer, the vet tech, fed him treats beforehand and he actually ate and wagged his tail. And by the way, I sometimes called Niko "Nikki."

And a special thanks to sweet Marie (New Hope) who appeared at my door bearing words of comfort. It meant so much.

Nancy

Through the years I've had special pets that I've lost too! I am so sorry for the loss of your best companion. Animals are truely like family and they are always remembered in our hearts!!! (((((HUGS)))) ON YOUR WAY!!!!

I am so sorry Nancy. Niko surely is an Angel now and when he was here. My heart goes out to everyone who has to experince the loss of a loved one, our pets are truly one on the family just like our kids. My little one has epilepsy and has seizures hopefully he will be around for a long while just the thought of losing him upsets me.

(((Hugs))) to your family.