Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NY Knockouts-- Pre-op Poll

How was your pre-op diet?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How was your pre-op diet?

• Piece of cake. No problem at all.
    • Not fun, but not too bad either.
    • Very difficult. Glad to have it over with.
    • Awful- just awful. Was ready to eat the counter tops.
    • I didn't have to do a pre op diet.

Hi "CallMeJim" Just starting it today, surgery is on the 8th. So, so far so good. By Monday night, I'll be ready to bite someone, I think! Good luck to you on the 7th.

Jim,

I had a two week liquid diet. The first few days were the worst, then you just get used to it and DO IT. not fun, but will be worth the end result. Surgery went so well for me, I would not have changed a thing.

Lois

I am on day 4 of 2 week pre-op liquid diet (I started 1 day late due to New Years!!) I have to say, I'm not enjoying it much. It's now Saturday morning and I'm trying to plan activities for the day that do not include lunch or dinner...I guess I'm heading to the movies. No Popcorn...Boo Hoo...Anyway, it is getting a bit easier, And I seem to be down 4 pounds in 4 days. That makes it a little easier. I'm wanting to have 1 meal of a small portion of lean meat and steamed vegetables tomorrow. That is 8 days before surgery. Then back on liquids for the last 8 days.You think that is a bad idea???

srbanker,

I actually had a lean meal during my two week liquid diet. it would have been my 4th liquid day. My BF had a fish fry with his family, I had a piece of the fish, ham and some veggies. I went right back onto the liquid diet and did not stray after that and still lost. I will say that it made it harder to get back onto the liquid the second time. BUT I DID IT. Best of luck to you.

Lois

I have been doing the low carb diet required which is pretty easy for me. I started a week early to make sure I was doing it right so I could have my nutritionist go over my food log.

Everynow now and then I crave a carb, but I haven't cracked and for the most part it has been really a piece of cake. :mad:

Mmmm.... cake. Why did you have to say cake!? :confused:

I wasn't given a pre-op diet. My surgery is on 1/10, and I will have to do a 48 hour pre-op clear liquid diet, and nothing after midnight on the day of the surgery. Definitely do-able. I thought that without a pre-op diet, I would be gaining weigh like crazy, and going nuts with all of my favorite foods, but that didn't happen. After about a week of allowing myself to eat anything without guilt, I was kind of "over it". I guess I am just ready to be banded and change the way I think about food.< /p>

My doc's concern is about eliminating sugar/carbs in order to reduce the size of my liver prior to surgery (depletion of glycogen stores) and not about liquid vs. solids. She said that it's easier to control sugar intake by putting people on liquids. So I do have lots of liquids, but primary focus is on high, lean Protein, low carbs and virtually no sugar. When I get really hungry, the protein really seems to help.

I am on Atkins for 2 weeks pre-op diet. I miss my food but it is worth it. This is a lifestyle change and I think it is better that I get a head start on it before the surgery anyways. Good luck to everyone.

I don't have a pre-op diet, I do have to do liquids the day before surgery but I don't think I have anything other than that. I go to the dietician on the 15th and I guess they'll tell me then if I have to do anything other than that.

I don't have a pre-op diet either, but I give all of you who do have one lots of credit for sticking with it as best as possible!

I finish tomorrow with Day 10 and the lovely bowel prep. process. Had to spend $20 at Wal-Mart to get it today. Tomorrow afternoon will be big fun. I guess they save the best for last!

I've been on Medifast the last three weeks and have two more weeks to go. No food allowed at all but I'm down 21 lbs in 3 weeks. It's tough but all worth it in the end!!!