Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Angelnurse's Lower Body Lift

I was encouraged by Kareyquilts to start this thread. I had my LBL on 12/20/07 in Post Falls, Idaho by Dr. Mark Owsley.

One other person in my weekly support group had this same surgery in April this year. I asked her a few questions and of course asked the Surgeon but nothing totally prepares you for this surgery. My Surgeon compared my lapband surgery as a "mosquito bite" and the LBL as a "alligator bite", I told him after the surgery that he should of said "shark bite".

The surgery took about 5 hours. My Surgeon doesn't weigh what he takes off, he says that it's a matter or body sculpting and uses his eyes and hands to get the best results. He did tell me that he took off over a foot on my abdomen and that he was very pleased with the results.

The evening after my surgery it was time for me to get up for the first time. I can tell you it wasn't fun. I almost passed out from the pain and only took 4 steps. It was at this point that I thought to myself "what had I done?" Thankfully the second time I got out of bed was much easier and less painful, I actually made to the room door. Each time it got easier.

The next hurdle to overcome would be peeing after the catheter was removed. No problem with this thank goodness.

I was discharged the next afternoon. A good friend of mine, who is also a Nurse, was staying with me for 4 or 5 days and nights. She was an Angel. Took care of my boys and did everything for me.

Well, this is enough of a post for now, don't want anyone falling asleep from boredom. I don't know if I'm brave enough to post pictures yet, but....

I go back to the Surgeon's on Jan. 2nd to get my 2 drains removed, so I'll have more to post after that visit. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

JulieNYC, the Ghost and enterprise you have been an inspiration to me and I've followed your stories and look forward to hearing from others who are going down the PS Road.

I'm sooo happy you posted here Alynne, I can't wait to hear more as time goes on. Will you be posting any pictures?

I'll be watching your thread with interest. Sorry things were so painful at first. Guess I should be gratefull my doc's standard protocol is to hook you up to painpump for the first 3-4 days. I was still sore but at a very manageable level. And if it started to hurt a bit more I could just push a button on the pain pump to send an extra dose.

I'm sooo happy you posted here Alynne, I can't wait to hear more as time goes on. Will you be posting any pictures?

As of right now I don't have the "before" pictures from my PS, but am planning on getting them. I'm not sure if I'm ready to "bare all" to everyone just yet, but have been thinking about it. I'm not sure when they'll take the "after" pictures, as I'm so swollen, but I plan on getting a copy of them also.

I'll be watching your thread with interest. Sorry things were so painful at first. Guess I should be gratefull my doc's standard protocol is to hook you up to painpump for the first 3-4 days. I was still sore but at a very manageable level. And if it started to hurt a bit more I could just push a button on the pain pump to send an extra dose.

Diane-I asked my Surgeon about a pain pump, but he doesn't use them. All I can say is thank goodness for the other pain meds and muscle relaxants. This too will pass. I'm just looking forward to having the drains removed on the 2nd!

Alynne: So glad you decided to start a thread about your journey! You deserve the support and attention. You have done a wonderful thing for yourself. I know your going to love your new body once you are feeling a little better that is! I'm a little older than you, so I'm expecting that I won't be feeling as chirper as JulieNYC or Ghost or Enterprise, but that's okay. We are all on our own journey. It sounds like you are a caretaker and I'm glad that you had someone to take care of you for a change! Hope you get the drains out on Wednesday and that the swelling goes down soon. Keep us posted on your progress and all the details. I know it will help me and others who are getting ready for similar procedures. God bless. Happy New Year!

Alynne: So glad you decided to start a thread about your journey! You deserve the support and attention. You have done a wonderful thing for yourself. I know your going to love your new body once you are feeling a little better that is! I'm a little older than you, so I'm expecting that I won't be feeling as chirper as JulieNYC or Ghost or Enterprise, but that's okay. We are all on our own journey. It sounds like you are a caretaker and I'm glad that you had someone to take care of you for a change! Hope you get the drains out on Wednesday and that the swelling goes down soon. Keep us posted on your progress and all the details. I know it will help me and others who are getting ready for similar procedures. God bless. Happy New Year!

Karey-Thanks, it was your encouragement that got me to start this thread. I guess everyones recovery from PS is different as everyones pain tolerance as well as type of PS is different. I actually lost 1/2 a pound, so maybe the swelling is starting to subside. Looking forward to the Doctor visit tomorrow with mixed feelings, want the drains out but hope it's not too painful. I guess it'll be over with quick.

You're getting a TT in March, right? Any other procedure at the same time?

Happy New Year to everyone at LBTF!

Alynne: I hope you get the drain out too. I hear they're very uncomfortable. I think sometimes it's painful to get the drains out and sometimes it's a cinch. I think it depends if there crusty, etc. May the god of cinch be with you! Let me know how it goes. For my outing into the plastic surgery world, I'm getting a Tummy Tuck, breast lift (the girls are so sad) and some Lipo on my flanks. My doctor said it would be about 5-6 hours. About 6 months after that I will probably get my arms and back side done. We'll see how I do with the first set of procedures. I had to prioritize and the pannus has got to go, the breasts are like icing on the cake. Good luck tommorrow!

Alynne: I hope you get the drain out too. I hear they're very uncomfortable. I think sometimes it's painful to get the drains out and sometimes it's a cinch. I think it depends if there crusty, etc. May the god of cinch be with you! Let me know how it goes. For my outing into the plastic surgery world, I'm getting a Tummy Tuck, breast lift (the girls are so sad) and some Lipo on my flanks. My doctor said it would be about 5-6 hours. About 6 months after that I will probably get my arms and back side done. We'll see how I do with the first set of procedures. I had to prioritize and the pannus has got to go, the breasts are like icing on the cake. Good luck tommorrow!

Karey-Thanks, I hope the drain removal is a cinch! Sounds like your PS journey is going to be quite the adventure. I would like to get a BL but have to wait 6 months between procedures as well as get the $. Will you be starting a PS thread soon?

Thanks for your thread angelnurse. It is very brave and kind of you to share this rather personal stuff with us but I hope you know how grateful we are for the first hand experience.

Alynne,

Don't worry about the drain. In my experience, it probably won't hurt. I had 2 removed today and they didn't hurt. Of my 10 drains over the course of my 3 surgeries, 9 didn't hurt AT ALL. The tenth, I won't lie to you, hurt like a B***** but it was over before my brain registered the pain, so it's really tolerable, even under the worst circumstances.

I had that "what have I done to myself" moment too, particularly with the TT. I remember it vividly. I had it again with the outer thighs. With this last one, I never regretted it, even when I was vomiting when I woke up in recovery.

Anyway, you're doing great and don't feel like you have to post pics until you're ready (if ever). It's one of those things that you get more comfy with over time. I started out very self conscious about it and now I'm eager to post them because I see how much they encourage those behind me in the journey.

Take care and happy healing.

Alynne,

Don't worry about the drain. In my experience, it probably won't hurt. I had 2 removed today and they didn't hurt. Of my 10 drains over the course of my 3 surgeries, 9 didn't hurt AT ALL. The tenth, I won't lie to you, hurt like a B***** but it was over before my brain registered the pain, so it's really tolerable, even under the worst circumstances.

I had that "what have I done to myself" moment too, particularly with the TT. I remember it vividly. I had it again with the outer thighs. With this last one, I never regretted it, even when I was vomiting when I woke up in recovery.

Anyway, you're doing great and don't feel like you have to post pics until you're ready (if ever). It's one of those things that you get more comfy with over time. I started out very self conscious about it and now I'm eager to post them because I see how much they encourage those behind me in the journey.

Take care and happy healing.

Julie-Just want to get rid of these drains, even if it hurts, I know it'll only hurt for a minute or two, at least that's what I tell my patients. It's just much harder being on this side of the process. I think I'll eventually post the pics, but will wait until I have the "afters" to compare with. I have been encouraged to have PS by yours and others threads, so I think pics are important. I've followed your "trilogy" and think-How can she go through all that surgery and I struggle with one? You must be one tough cookie! Thanks again for your encouragement, it means a lot to me.

I've followed your "trilogy" and think-How can she go through all that surgery and I struggle with one? You must be one tough cookie! Thanks again for your encouragement, it means a lot to me.

I guess it's that I felt every single procedure I did was reconstructive and not cosmetic. I felt the TT/BL were even more than reconstructive and bumped all the way up to necessary. I'm an extreme case though, starting at 33 years old with a BMI of 68. 5'1 and closer to 400 lbs than any other century marker, well, leaves its mark. I suppose the ease of access and affordability of having a PS as a father play a role too. I certainly don't advocate this much surgery for every band patient (not that you're implying I do -- I'm pontificating). But, I wouldn't give up any one of my procedures, even in hind sight!

Your drain won't even hurt for a minute. More like 5 seconds, if that. Good luck with getting it out! My drains came out yesterday and my stitches come out today and then it's shower time. Ahhhh!