Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 days post op from gastric bypass. I have been hitting my Water goals and very close to my Protein. Some nausea here and there but no vomiting! I’m concerned because I feel very hungry today. Is this normal??

I am 8 days post-op, to be honest, I don't know. For myself most of the time I have not felt hungry at all, but I have had two days where I felt hungry similar to before the surgery. I think that we are going to go through feeling hungry and not feeling hungry plus many other changes over the next month, especially in the 2-week post-op diet phase. I think things will fluctuate a lot as we get to add foods to our diets during this healing period. I read that it takes 12 weeks for our stomachs to heal completely. I have an appointment on the 8th and I am going to ask for sure when the fully healed process is done.

Not everyone loses their appetite & hunger but the majority do. You could be experiencing not real hunger but head hunger. In this case wanting to eat to sooth & comfort yourself after what has been a pretty major surgery & stressful/emotional time. Plus the more you can’t have food the more you want it. Also stomach acid can make you think you’re hungry & at the moment you’re still producing the same amount of acid as you used to but consuming way less. Are you on a PPI to reduce this acid at the moment? Try distracting yourself: read, play a game, craft, call a friend or family member, go for a short walk around your home as you’re able, etc. Try sipping a warm drink like a green or herbal tea that can help too.

Congrats on reaching those Fluid & Protein goals so soon.

I've been hungry since I woke up in recovery. I wasn't hungry before surgery on a normal day, so this is very weird to experience. LOL I know it isn't stomach acid because I'm on a PPI. I don't think it is head hunger because I wasn't the type to eat to soothe before and I don't really feel I need to be comforted or soothed so...who knows. I think I'm just one of the unlucky ones who doesn't lose their hunger post surgery. It is consistent, this gnawing hungry feeling. I haven't been able to drink any Protein yet so this might be why. I'm going to try Jello again today, when I tried it in the hospital it sat like rocks in my stomach and made me nauseous. I have a feeling this is normal for some people so I'm not worried about it, but I am annoyed! 😂

12 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

it in the hospital it sat like rocks in my stomach and made me nauseous

@ChunkCat I had the worst nausea in the hospital from the time I woke up until I got home the next day. I was worried about throwing up with my new stomach, but I did several times and everything held together lol.

For me it was normal, I was hungry after surgery, granted I did not feel the urge to eat since I was still swollen etc. I was told by my team that it could be head hunger or the stomach still adjusting the acids.

The feeling dissipates once you start eating real food. I got used to an eating schedule that worked for me and now mainly feel hungry if its past the schedule or if I'm behind my fluids.

16 hours ago, New To This23 said:

@ChunkCat I had the worst nausea in the hospital from the time I woke up until I got home the next day. I was worried about throwing up with my new stomach, but I did several times and everything held together lol.

It's good to know everything stayed together!! LOL I ate some Jello today and it still sat weird but not as bad as before. My stomach did the angry cartwheels thing it has taken to doing and then settled down. So I consider that a win! I get severe nausea from anesthesia for about 2-3 days afterwards, so I can empathize. It has finally abated for the most part unless I try to drink something thick.

On 11/4/2023 at 4:43 PM, ktguthrie said:

I am 3 days post op from gastric bypass. I have been hitting my Water goals and very close to my Protein. Some nausea here and there but no vomiting! I’m concerned because I feel very hungry today. Is this normal??

I think as far as WLS there is no such thing as "normal." Each persons "journey" through this is different. I'm only 2.5 months PO and I eat my 3 meals at a cup each and I'm still hungry (and its not "mind hunger"), I too never had nausea or any of the side effects of surgery some talk about it. In fact I, like another person on another post questioned the actual surgery being done correctly. I just continue to eat as I should and hope my body will adjust. I just figure the fight against being hungry will be a life long battle that I plan to fight and win. I just try and occupy myself ignoring it. Am I happy about it? No, after all its why I had surgery but it is what it is. Plus, for me I get up early, 6 am and I'm up until midnight or longer - that's 18 hours with 3 meals only consisting of 800 total calories a day. I don't snack, or if I break and have one its a tablespoon of natural Peanut Butter.

Like a lot of long time veterans say on these forums, no two ppl are the same, yes we all have the surgical incision scars but that's where everyone being the same ends and to " trust the journey" and just take a day at a time. Its a process, body and mind - yours is different and unique to you. Sorry I can't be of more help... Just try and think short time, step by step your body could change as well as your hunger within days..weeks, months