Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight regain after revision

Hi all!

I'm new to this group and looking for support. A little bit about me, In 2019 I had VSG--year later had extreme GERD/Reflux---then in 2021 I had revision surgery to RNY and hernia repair. Long story short, post VSG I was down 100 lbs almost and got to around 174, but after my revision to bypass to alleviate the GERD I noticed almost right away my "pouch/new stomach" or whatever you want to call it was no longer as restrictive and pretty much right away I was able to each much more volume. Over time, I gained about 30 lbs in 2 years, and I feel just awful. Has anyone else experience this before, and if so, do you have any tips? I am honestly struggling with motivation and getting back on the ball, and I am looking for advice, ideas and/or support. Thanks everyone!

You can eat more because you no longer have a Pyloric valve between your sleeve and your intestines, so your food doesn't stop in your sleeve but goes directly into your intestines. So, effective restriction is probably a bit less.

Which is why you should measure your food for each meal and stop when you complete the meal or get that no-more feeling, whichever comes first. We can't rely on just restriction to do the trick because for most people restriction declines with time.

We need to build the right habits. It's easier when restriction is tight and weight loss is some positive reinforcement. It's harder later when trying to get back on track, but it can still be done. We just need to rely on Portion Control more and the positive weight loss reinforcement takes a bit longer.

As for motivation, what was it to get surgery? Has that changed?

Good luck,

Tek

Thank you Tek for your response.

I do need to work on my Portion Control, although I still eat much less than before surgery, I know I am still eating more than I need to at this stage. I like the idea of measuring portions for my meals. I also tend to snack more lately, while at work. My initial motivation was to extreme health issues, thankfully all have resolved, but I know I am not immune and those could come crawling back if I don't get this under control and gain more. Also of course, big motivation is being around and healthy for my son, and of course, for myself.

To be frank, eating less than before surgery is not saying a whole lot. I could eat 1/4 of what I ate pre-op and still be eating 4 times what my current portions are.

Unplanned Snacks are deadly. If your plan includes snacks then they need to be planned and tracked like everything else. My plan never included snacks.

Eating our appropriate portion size is THE key element post-op. Even in maintenance Portion Control is important to maintain and not gain.

You have the motivation.

Good luck,

Tek

I just had a revision from a slipped Lapband to gastric bypass Rny. I also had a hernia the size of an orange. My doctor told me that I will not feel restriction at all. I just started my puréed stage and I’m definitely not feeling anything. I’m just measuring my portions and sticking to that. Then after 30 mins of eating I will start my liquids again. It seems to be helping. At least we do get some malabsorption with the small intestines redirected.

Thank you for sharing this! I am glad to know I am not alone in this (I was worried there was something wrong with me not feeling as restricted). My surgeon never really explained this part to me, but after reviewing other articles and posts, it looks to be common for the RNY. I need to start measuring portions (something I have not been doing for the last 2+ years). Luckily I have a follow up with my nutritionist in March :)

You really won't know your level of restriction until you get to actual chewable food. Everything before just shoots though the pouch/sleeve as it's intended too, in order not to stress the new plumbing (yet).

Good luck,

Tek