Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days post op issues

I just had gastric bypass surgury and I'm not having the problems that other people are. I haven't thrown up or had dumping syndrome.I'm in the liquid phase about to go to purees.I don't have that full or tight feeling after drinking or eating.It's like my stomach is streching or something because I had 6 oz of Tomato Soup and had no tightness.I always set a timer so I slow down with eating.I'm a bit concerned because most people can't handle that much or get sick but I don't how worried should I be?

I was in the same boat as you! I did not feel tightness until I moved onto soft/solids as the liquids just went through me. And don't worry about your stomach stretching, trust me you'd FEEL it! You'd have to be eating solids & a TON of them for that to happen.

In my opinion you have nothing to worry about, you are Just having an easier time than others! We got lucky with that

So glad to hear I'm okay! I just have to remember to slow down then.I've also heard some people never experience dumping syndrome even after eating a lot of sugar or carbs.I'm hoping after a few months I can eat relatively normal again

33 minutes ago, bbykitty said:

I was in the same boat as you! I did not feel tightness until I moved onto soft/solids as the liquids just went through me. And don't worry about your stomach stretching, trust me you'd FEEL it! You'd have to be eating solids & a TON of them for that to happen.

In my opinion you have nothing to worry about, you are Just having an easier time than others! We got lucky with that

Everyone is different. Follow your plan and you will do great!

I can eat drink decently too. Never had a problem getting my fluids or Protein in. Depending on what the food is, sometimes I do fill up fast but otherwise I can usually eat a serving without a problem.

I just follow my plan and go with the flow, seems to be working great for me.

PS: You are still early out and your stomach is still healing so the nerves aren't completely healed and not getting the hint. You will start to feel the restrictions when you get to solid foods.

the above people are correct - a) you had nerves cut and it takes awhile for them to regenerate and b) liquids go right through you (so even after nerves are healed, you won't feel a restriction from liquids). You should start feeling the restriction once you move to solid foods.

also, I never had issues, either. I'm not a dumper - haven't dumped once in the 7.5 years since I had surgery (and 70% of us are NOT dumpers). I did throw up once in awhile during the first few weeks post surgery as I was learning what - and how much - my pouch would tolerate. Almost never vomit any more.

1 minute ago, catwoman7 said:

the above people are correct - a) you had nerves cut and it takes awhile for them to regenerate and b) liquids go right through you (so even after nerves are healed, you won't feel a restriction from liquids). You should start feeling the restriction once you move to solid foods.

also, I never had issues, either. I'm not a dumper - haven't dumped once in the 7.5 years since I had surgery (and 70% of us are NOT dumpers). I did throw up once in awhile during the first few weeks post surgery as I was learning what - and how much - my pouch would tolerate. Almost never vomit any more.

YEA! It's like I can't vomit anymore... I thought it was just me but after talking to some people apparently it is normal?

I don't get it.

Early out a bite of steak made me feel sick and I basically spit it back up and was fine immediately after. Got the "foamies" once.. but actual vomit.. nope.

I had a procedure done the other day (not related) but it made me super nauseous and I felt like I needed to vomit. I asked the nurse for a cup from their Water fountain because I felt sick. She was like well heres a bag because a cup isn't going to do anything. But it's actually all I need because my "vomit" is just gagging and spitting up some phlegm... it is so weird!

My wife explained it as well your stomach is so small and things pass through so fast there is just nothing to vomit up.. which makes sense but it is still very strange to me.

18 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

YEA! It's like I can't vomit anymore... I thought it was just me but after talking to some people apparently it is normal?

I don't get it.

Early out a bite of steak made me feel sick and I basically spit it back up and was fine immediately after. Got the "foamies" once.. but actual vomit.. nope.

I had a procedure done the other day (not related) but it made me super nauseous and I felt like I needed to vomit. I asked the nurse for a cup from their Water fountain because I felt sick. She was like well heres a bag because a cup isn't going to do anything. But it's actually all I need because my "vomit" is just gagging and spitting up some phlegm... it is so weird!

My wife explained it as well your stomach is so small and things pass through so fast there is just nothing to vomit up.. which makes sense but it is still very strange to me.

some people can vomit, others can't. I don't know what the percentage of people who can't vomit is, but it's not uncommon.

vomiting isn't the dreaded event it used to be. It's more like a baby spitting up after eating. There isn't much food to come up since our pouch is so much smaller than our old stomachs, and you don't have much acid in there anymore, so you don't get that horrible taste in your mouth. It basically tastes the same coming up as it did going down.

13 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

some people can vomit, others can't. I don't know what the percentage of people who can't vomit is, but it's not uncommon.

vomiting isn't the dreaded event it used to be. It's more like a baby spitting up after eating. There isn't much food to come up since our pouch is so much smaller than our old stomachs, and you don't have much acid in there anymore, so you don't get that horrible taste in your mouth. It basically tastes the same coming up as it did going down.

yeah, agreed. Still, so weird. haha

16 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I don't get it.

I describe it as regurgitation - a sort of bubbling or coughing up the food. It usually occurs pretty quickly after you’ve eaten whatever is upsetting you so the food is still pretty high up & you don’t need all your tummy muscles to force the irritant food up as vomit. And yes less food to bring back up. I enjoy not vomiting.

Don't wanna change the topic but now I'm having like a fluttering heart when I move sometimes and It's like that feeling you get when your eyes roll back- like if you roll your eyes to far but more intense.I'm wondering if I'm low on Iron I'm not supposed to take any supplements until tomorrow.I thought it was dumping syndrome at first and I just jinxed myself but I never got sick or had abdomen cramps or anything like that.I'm gonna give my surgeons office a call when they open just to be sure.I've also been extremely tired and not very hungry I've been trying to set alarms to get up and have more Protein and move. I have about an 8 ounce Protein Shake 2-4 times a day depending on what other foods I eat that have protein.Hopefully this problem is solved or goes away soon.

4 hours ago, meganannie said:

Don't wanna change the topic but now I'm having like a fluttering heart when I move sometimes and It's like that feeling you get when your eyes roll back- like if you roll your eyes to far but more intense.I'm wondering if I'm low on Iron I'm not supposed to take any supplements until tomorrow.I thought it was dumping syndrome at first and I just jinxed myself but I never got sick or had abdomen cramps or anything like that.I'm gonna give my surgeons office a call when they open just to be sure.I've also been extremely tired and not very hungry I've been trying to set alarms to get up and have more Protein and move. I have about an 8 ounce Protein Shake 2-4 times a day depending on what other foods I eat that have protein.Hopefully this problem is solved or goes away soon.

it takes a long time to wear down your Iron stores , although I don't know what your iron level was before surgery.

it's super common to lose your sense of hunger for several weeks or months after surgery (up to a year for some). I know it seems weird at first, but take FULL advantage of that. It'll never in your life be easier to lose weight than it will right now, when you're not hungry and don't give a flip about food. I found it very liberating, too! My hunger came roaring back at five months out, and I honestly wish it never had. It was so much easier to stick to plan when I was never hungry!!!

and no, what you described was not dumping syndrome.

you're extremely tired because you just had major surgery, so I wouldn't worry about that, either.